Finding the mass of an object with weight

In summary, the mass of an object can be found by dividing its weight by the acceleration due to gravity. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. While a scale can measure weight, it cannot directly measure mass. The unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg), while the unit for weight is newtons (N). However, weight can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lb) or grams (g). The location of an object does not affect its mass, but it can affect the weight of an object due to changes in the strength of gravitational force.
gorm

Homework Statement

hi, this isn't really a homework question but i guessed this would be a good place to start, my question is how to you find the mass of something you can't weigh? I am an art student and I am doing a project on unknown forces/ hidden values etc and if i wanted to find the weight of say.. a tree? how would i go about doing this?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the easiest way would be to multiply the density of the object's material with its volume.

1. How do I find the mass of an object with weight?

The mass of an object can be found by dividing its weight by the acceleration due to gravity. The equation is: Mass = Weight / Acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

3. Can I use a scale to measure the mass of an object?

A scale measures weight, not mass. To find the mass of an object using a scale, you would need to convert the weight to mass by dividing by the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for mass and weight?

The unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg), while the unit for weight is newtons (N). However, weight can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lb) or grams (g).

5. Does the location of an object affect its mass and weight?

No, the mass of an object remains the same regardless of its location, as it is a measure of the amount of matter. However, weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force at different locations.