Connecting a conductor with a voltage source

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage in a capacitor and how it remains constant even when the distance between the plates is doubled and a voltage source is added. This is because the voltage source creates a current that counteracts the work done when moving the plates, resulting in the voltage between the plates remaining the same.
fawk3s
This kind of confuses me. You have a capacitor which has a voltage of 200 volts. Now when doubling the distance between the plates and adding a 100 V voltage source to it, it is said that the voltage between the capacitor plates stays the same, as in 200 V.
I don't follow. Someone care to explain?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
fawk3s said:
This kind of confuses me. You have a capacitor which has a voltage of 200 volts. Now when doubling the distance between the plates and adding a 100 V voltage source to it, it is said that the voltage between the capacitor plates stays the same, as in 200 V.
I don't follow. Someone care to explain?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s
Where is it said such a thing?

It was in a physics problem concerning conductors. But I just found out that its because the voltage source works against the work done when moving the plates. A current is created and the extra voltage created does the work. So the voltage between the plates should stay the same to a certain point.

1. How do you connect a conductor to a voltage source?

The first step is to identify the positive and negative terminals on the voltage source. Then, using appropriate tools such as wires or alligator clips, connect the positive terminal of the voltage source to one end of the conductor, and the negative terminal to the other end.

2. What type of conductor should be used for connecting to a voltage source?

The type of conductor used will depend on the voltage and current requirements of the circuit. Generally, copper or aluminum wires are commonly used as they are good conductors and can handle a wide range of voltages and currents.

3. What precautions should be taken when connecting a conductor to a voltage source?

It is important to make sure that the conductor is securely connected to the voltage source and that there are no loose or exposed wires. Additionally, always use appropriate safety gear such as gloves and goggles when working with electricity.

4. Can a conductor be connected to any type of voltage source?

No, a conductor should only be connected to a voltage source that is within its voltage and current rating. Connecting a conductor to a voltage source with higher ratings can cause damage to the conductor and the circuit.

5. How do you disconnect a conductor from a voltage source?

To disconnect a conductor from a voltage source, simply remove the connections from the positive and negative terminals of the voltage source. It is important to turn off the voltage source before disconnecting to avoid any potential hazards.