Electomagnetism/Generator Questions

• Thread starter BilPrestonEsq
  • Start date
In summary, a generator will have a maximum power output based on the engine it is used with and the amount of turns in the coil, the wire gauge, and the magnet. Amperage output depends on the load but cannot exceed the maximum amperage output.
BilPrestonEsq
Hello all, I have a question. Now I'm not sure if I have this right, voltage relates to the number of turns in a coil or more specifically linear centimeters of wire perpendicular to the magnetic flux of the magnet, also the strength of the magnet, or flux density, and the speed of the varying magnetic flux along the coil. The stronger the magnet, the faster the flux density is changing and the more turns in the coil all equal more voltage? Also this is really my main question: what effects amperage output? Is the gauge of wire the only factor? Will the amps coming out of the generator be only what load I put on it up to the ampacity of the wire. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Am I on track? Does my question make sense? Any kind of input would be most appreciated.

BilPrestonEsq said:
The stronger the magnet, the faster the flux density is changing and the more turns in the coil all equal more voltage?
Yes you are right, all those factors increase the amplitude of voltage, though how faster the flux density is changing will affect not only the amplitude but the frequency of voltage too.

Also this is really my main question: what effects amperage output? Is the gauge of wire the only factor? Will the amps coming out of the generator be only what load I put on it up to the ampacity of the wire. Please help!
Each generator has a maximum power output because it converts another form of energy (for example mechanic energy if the generator works with a diesel engine) into electric energy and because conservation of energy holds (if that diesel engine is say 10hp then the generator will have a maximum power output of 10hp=7.35KW). That maximum power output defines a maximum amperage output. The amperage output depends on the load but it cannot exceed the maximum amperage output.

Ok i think I get it. So I do understand how mechanical energy converts into watts based on 100% efficiency, but, if I had a alternator wound with 3 gauge wire with the ampacity of 100 amps and another with 12 gauge wire with the ampacity of 25 amps it would take a voltage of 73.5 volts for the 3 gauge and 294 volts for the 12 gauge to produce the 7.35kw out of a 10hp engine? (7350w/100amp=73.5v)(7350w/25amps=294v)

So if the mechanical energy delivered to the generator is 10hp and the output(at 100% efficiency) is 7.35kw then the watts could translate into higher amps or higher voltages based on the amount of turns and the ampacity of the wire, basically its just a trade off in the design if the generator. So given a certain force (10hp engine) and a certain number of coil turns and a certain wire gauge what effect does the magnet have on power output? If every factor is the same except you replace magnet with a stronger one how does that stronger magnet effect the equation? hhhmm maybe I don't understand quite yet!:)

BilPrestonEsq said:
Ok i think I get it. So I do understand how mechanical energy converts into watts based on 100% efficiency, but, if I had a alternator wound with 3 gauge wire with the ampacity of 100 amps and another with 12 gauge wire with the ampacity of 25 amps it would take a voltage of 73.5 volts for the 3 gauge and 294 volts for the 12 gauge to produce the 7.35kw out of a 10hp engine? (7350w/100amp=73.5v)(7350w/25amps=294v)
Yes correct.
BilPrestonEsq said:
So if the mechanical energy delivered to the generator is 10hp and the output(at 100% efficiency) is 7.35kw then the watts could translate into higher amps or higher voltages based on the amount of turns and the ampacity of the wire, basically its just a trade off in the design if the generator. So given a certain force (10hp engine) and a certain number of coil turns and a certain wire gauge what effect does the magnet have on power output? If every factor is the same except you replace magnet with a stronger one how does that stronger magnet effect the equation? hhhmm maybe I don't understand quite yet!:)

I am not an expert on generators but as you say the watts could translate either into higher amp or higher voltage depending on what we want to do and how we design the generator. A stronger magnet will give bigger voltage thus lowering the maximum current (because the total watts have to be the same) even though the wire gauge could support a higher current (if the gauge was proper and the magnet was weaker so the voltage was lower).

Finally it all clicked. There are so many questions to be answered... Thank you so much for your time I really appreciate it!

1. What is the difference between electromagnetism and magnetism?

Electromagnetism and magnetism are both related to the interaction between electricity and magnetism. Magnetism refers to the natural attraction or repulsion between objects that have magnetic properties. Electromagnetism, on the other hand, is the phenomenon where an electric current produces a magnetic field. In short, magnetism is a natural force, while electromagnetism is a man-made phenomenon.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. This is done by wrapping a wire around a metal core, such as an iron bar, and passing an electric current through the wire. The electricity flowing through the wire creates a magnetic field, which can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current.

3. What is a generator and how does it use electromagnetism?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a magnet and a coil of wire to create a magnetic field. When the magnet is rotated, it causes the magnetic field to move, which induces an electric current in the wire. This current can then be used as electricity to power devices.

4. Can electromagnetism be used for wireless charging?

Yes, electromagnetic induction can be used for wireless charging. This process involves using a magnetic field to transfer energy from one object to another without the need for physical contact. This is commonly used in wireless charging pads for smartphones and other electronic devices.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of practical applications, including the operation of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as speakers, hard drives, and MRI machines. Electromagnetic waves are also used for communication, such as radio and television signals, as well as in wireless technologies like WiFi and Bluetooth.