Question: Can elements above iron actually be clusters of smaller elements?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of elements with higher atomic numbers being clusters made up of smaller elements. However, there is evidence that supports the traditional theory of elements having discrete structures and binding energies. The idea of superatoms is also mentioned, but it is not believed to be true. The potential applications of such a theory, such as creating more gallium and platinum, are also mentioned.
material
Hello,

I would like to ask if elements of higher atomic number than iron might actually be clusters made up of smaller elements? Is there any evidence that rules out this possibility? The reason I am guessing that elements below iron are discrete is because of the theory that iron has its particles tightly bound and that energy can't be extracted from it by fusion or fission. The sun might produce all those other elements with fusion by the time it reached the stage of iron production. Maybe fission really is a process of knocking out a member of the cluster of lighter elements that make up the heavier element. Just throwing it out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a very interesting idea, and I think a good one. But there is evidence that strongly implies it isn't the case.

A google search for radii of the elements will show a progression consistent with the standard theory, and additionally the binding energies are also well explained by the traditional all-elements premise.

The only way what you're suggesting would be possible is if the substituent 'elements' were so close together that there would be no difference between your theory and the currently accepted one.

I hope that makes sense. Keep questioning!

The problem with that theory is that there are already compounds with the same configurations you want to ascribe to elements.

I have read on the internet about superatoms and wondered whether heavier elements like gold, silver and others were actually superatoms. I don't believe they are, but it would be nice if they were because then a new enlightened form of alchemy might appear achievable. For instance, it would be great to make more gallium for semiconductor applications and more platinum for fuel cell applications.

1. What is meant by "elements above iron"?

"Elements above iron" refers to elements with atomic numbers higher than that of iron, which is 26. This includes elements such as cobalt, nickel, copper, and zinc.

2. Is it possible for elements above iron to actually be clusters of smaller elements?

Yes, it is possible for elements above iron to be clusters of smaller elements. This phenomenon is known as nuclear fusion, where two or more smaller elements combine to form a larger element. This process occurs naturally in stars, and can also be replicated in nuclear reactors.

3. How are elements above iron different from smaller elements?

Elements above iron are typically larger and more complex than smaller elements. They also tend to be less stable and have shorter half-lives. In addition, elements above iron are often formed through fusion reactions rather than through the decay of other elements.

4. Can elements above iron undergo nuclear fission?

Yes, elements above iron can undergo nuclear fission, which is the process of splitting a larger element into smaller elements. This process is commonly used in nuclear power plants to generate energy.

5. What are some examples of elements above iron that are clusters of smaller elements?

An example of an element above iron that is a cluster of smaller elements is lead, which has an atomic number of 82 and is formed through the fusion of smaller elements. Another example is uranium, which has an atomic number of 92 and is formed through both fusion and fission reactions.