How do I calculate the properties of my piece wires without any labels?

In summary, the conversation discusses a new user seeking help in determining the maximum voltage, current, temperature, and thickness of 3-4 pieces of wire without labels or known types of metal. The conversation also mentions the relationship between temperature and voltage, current, conductivity, and resistivity, and asks for formulas and definitions. The conversation provides images of the wires for reference.
puteh30
hye... i new user (forumer)... help me...

1) i have 3- 4 piece wire (copper/ iron)... i don't know AWG for piece wire... no label... the length of wire is 1 foot... how to know / measure / calculate the maximum voltage, maximum current, maximum temperature, thickness, type of metal for piece wire.

2) temperature relation / propotional - voltage
- current
-conductivity
-resistivity

*formula / definition

Engineering news on Phys.org
current capability of a wire is primarily proportional to its diameter (thickness) ( and somewhat to the type of wire... copper, aluminium etc) you need to find out what you wire is what its made of, what its size is AWG etc.
its resistance is also dependant on what its is ... copper etc and thickness
known cables will have data sheets that will state that info along with its resistance in Ohms / metre(foot) km(mile) etc

we can't help you without that information

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
If you have a pair of calipers (or better yet, micrometers), measure the diameter of a STRIPPED portion, and then read it off the chart (this will be a little problematic if the wire is stranded, but not impossibly so):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Note that the information is rule of thumb ONLY. Temperature rating, maximum voltage, and resistance will depend on the insulation used (if any) and the history of the piece (i.e. if it's severely kinked or cut-up in certain areas, the resistance will increase).

For something where this really matters, get some new pieces of wire. They're pennies per feet.

EDIT: and pursuant to my point about the 'history' of the piece, this will affect its current-carrying capability.

One way to measure the diameter of a wire is to wind the wire around a cylinder (like an AA battery) so that the turns are right up close to each other.
Then measure one inch or one centimeter along the coil and count how many turns of wire are in that distance. From this, it is easy to work out the diameter of the wire.

The most common wire is probably copper. This has an orange-red colour and bends easy.

Iron wire is attracted to a magnet and it is harder to bend than copper.

Aluminum wire is silvery-white when cut but it turns to s smoky white as it oxodises.

Another type you may come across is Nichrome wire. This is very springy and will not wind into a coil easily. It has a very high resistivity and so quite a short piece of this wire has a lot more resistance than a similar piece of copper wire.

Here is a list of resistivities which will give you a comparison between different materials as conductors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistivity

Also see the wire table given above in a previous post.

Last edited:
davenn said:
current capability of a wire is primarily proportional to its diameter (thickness) ( and somewhat to the type of wire... copper, aluminium etc) you need to find out what you wire is what its made of, what its size is AWG etc.
its resistance is also dependant on what its is ... copper etc and thickness
known cables will have data sheets that will state that info along with its resistance in Ohms / metre(foot) km(mile) etc

we can't help you without that information

cheers
Dave

how do know the size of AWG? wire made (material) ?

MATLABdude said:
If you have a pair of calipers (or better yet, micrometers), measure the diameter of a STRIPPED portion, and then read it off the chart (this will be a little problematic if the wire is stranded, but not impossibly so):

Note that the information is rule of thumb ONLY. Temperature rating, maximum voltage, and resistance will depend on the insulation used (if any) and the history of the piece (i.e. if it's severely kinked or cut-up in certain areas, the resistance will increase).

For something where this really matters, get some new pieces of wire. They're pennies per feet.

EDIT: and pursuant to my point about the 'history' of the piece, this will affect its current-carrying capability.

current-carrying capability means ?

puteh30 said:
wire above? iron or aluminum?

magnet?

puteh30 said:
current-carrying capability means ?

amps

puteh30 said:
wire above? iron or aluminum?

yellow=copper
black = ?

NascentOxygen said:
yellow=copper
black = ?

= charred?

Wires : Resistivity and Conductivity with Temperature

1) i have 3- 4 piece wire (i don't no type of metal piece wire)... i don't know AWG for piece wire... no label... the length of wire is 1 foot... how to know / measure / calculate the maximum voltage, maximum current, maximum temperature, thickness...
2) temperature relation / propotional with

- voltage
- current
-conductivity
-resistivity*pls give formula / definition...http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7638/dscn5043x.th.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2913/dscn5051f.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

help me...

puteh30 said:

1) i have 3- 4 piece wire (i don't no type of metal piece wire)... i don't know AWG for piece wire... no label... the length of wire is 1 foot... how to know / measure / calculate the maximum voltage, maximum current, maximum temperature, thickness...

2) temperature relation / propotional with

- voltage
- current
-conductivity
-resistivity

*pls give formula / definition...

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7638/dscn5043x.th.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2913/dscn5051f.th.jpg

Welcome to the PF. What is the context of your question? You are trying to figure out the maximum ratings for these wires, given only 1 foot samples? What other information do you have? What is the application for the wire?

You use standard wire tables and/or the manufacturer's datasheet to figure those things out.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. What is the context of your question? You are trying to figure out the maximum ratings for these wires, given only 1 foot samples? What other information do you have? What is the application for the wire?

You use standard wire tables and/or the manufacturer's datasheet to figure those things out.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

What other information need i have? What is the application for the wire? pls help me

puteh30 said:
What is the application for the wire?
No one knows. We need you to tell us about it. :smile:

Did you salvage it from a space vehicle?

puteh30 said:
What other information need i have? What is the application for the wire? pls help me

I will be patient with you for now.

Do you have calipers? Do you know how to use them? Calipers will tell you the diameter of the wire.

What color are the conductors? That will tell you much about the metal used for the wire.

Why are you given only 1 foot samples of the wire? Is this for schoolwork as quiz?

Are there any markings on the insulator portions of the wire samples? If so, what did your Google searches reveal about the wire specifications?

Do not play games with us. We are happy to help if your request is valid.

Two threads merged and warning issued to the OP for zero effort.

1. What is the purpose of using piece wires in temperature measurement?

Piece wires are used as a means of connecting a temperature sensor to a measuring instrument. They allow for the transfer of electrical signals from the sensor to the instrument, helping to accurately measure the temperature.

2. How do piece wires affect the accuracy of temperature readings?

Piece wires can have an impact on the accuracy of temperature measurements. The type, length, and material of the wires can introduce resistance and alter the voltage signal, potentially affecting the accuracy of the readings. It is important to use high-quality wires and keep them at a consistent length for more accurate measurements.

3. Can piece wires withstand high temperatures?

The ability of piece wires to withstand high temperatures depends on the material they are made of. Some wires are specifically designed for high-temperature applications, while others may melt or become damaged at high temperatures. It is important to choose the right type of wire for the intended temperature range.

4. What are the common types of piece wires used in temperature measurement?

The most common types of piece wires used in temperature measurement are thermocouple wires and RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector) wires. Thermocouple wires are made of two different metals and produce a voltage signal, while RTD wires are made of a pure metal and change resistance with temperature.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy of piece wire measurements?

To ensure the accuracy of piece wire measurements, it is important to calibrate the temperature sensor and instrument periodically. This involves comparing the readings to a known standard at different temperatures. It is also crucial to use high-quality wires and keep them clean and free of any damage.