Motor Resisting Variable Downward Force

In summary: I've never heard of it, but a regular electric motor can be used in reverse to produce a braking effect. This might require a beefier motor to handle the sustained stall current, but it is possible. Googling "regenerative braking" can provide more information on this topic. Another option could be a "torque motor," which may be able to provide the desired level of resistance for your system.
omalleyt
I have a system where a cable is pulled down with a load of 100-200 lb. I need a motor that resists this load with a force that can be programmed to be anywhere from 5-30 pounds. I don't want the motor to stop the downward motion, just to offset the magnitude of the force pulling down on the cable. I will be using an Arduino to control the level of resistance provided by the motor. Is this possible and if so what type of motor/system could I use? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any electric motor can work 'in reverse' to produce a braking effect. The only problem would be that it would have to cope with what really is a sustained stall current - or worse - so you could need a beefier motor than you would use conventionally. Just by shorting the supply leads to an unpowered motor, you can produce braking (you've got a generator, in effect, which takes energy). I recommend googling regenerative braking and see what you get. This is quite a hot topic at the moment so you should be quite lucky there.

try a google on "torque motor"

it might do what you want I'm not sure

What is motor resisting variable downward force?

Motor resisting variable downward force is a scientific concept that refers to the ability of a motor to resist a variable downward force. This means that the motor can maintain a constant speed or rotation even when faced with changes in downward force.

How does motor resisting variable downward force work?

Motor resisting variable downward force works by using a combination of mechanisms such as electronic controls, sensors, and mechanical components to adjust the motor's output in response to changes in downward force. This allows the motor to maintain a steady speed or rotation, providing stability and control in various applications.

What are the applications of motor resisting variable downward force?

Motor resisting variable downward force has various applications in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and robotics. It is commonly used in vehicles to maintain a constant speed while driving up or down a slope and in industrial settings to control the movement of heavy machinery.

How does motor resisting variable downward force differ from other motor types?

Motor resisting variable downward force differs from other motor types in that it has the ability to adapt to changes in downward force, while other motors may experience a decrease in speed or rotation in the same scenario. This makes it ideal for applications where stability and control are crucial.

What are the benefits of using motor resisting variable downward force?

The main benefit of using motor resisting variable downward force is its ability to provide stability and control in various applications. This can result in improved efficiency, reduced wear and tear on machinery, and enhanced safety. Additionally, this type of motor can also help in reducing energy consumption and costs.