Summation+Differentiation=Disaster. I with a summation problem I'm having.

• Thread starter PEZenfuego
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses the flawed logic of differentiating a discrete series with respect to the upper limit of the sum. It is explained that in order to find the derivative, the series must be analytically continued into a function. The correct equations for Ʃk^{2} and ƩK are given, and the conversation concludes with the realization that the derivative of Ʃk^{2} is 2Ʃk with respect to k, not n.
PEZenfuego
My logic is flawed somewhere, but I can't figure out where or why.

So I've been playing with summation a bit and figured out a way to make equations for Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex]K and Ʃ[itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex]K[itex]^{2}[/itex] That looks odd, so I'll just use Ʃ from now on, but realize that it is always from k=1 to n.

ƩK is a series like 1+2+3+4...+(n-2)+(n-1)+n

and Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex] is a series like1[itex]^{2}[/itex]+2[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3[itex]^{2}[/itex]+4[itex]^{2}[/itex]...+(n-2)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(n-1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Anyway, the equation for Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex] is (2n[itex]^{3}[/itex]+3n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/6

and the one for ƩK is (n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/2

Now here is what I'm stepping in:

Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex]=1[itex]^{2}[/itex]+2[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3[itex]^{2}[/itex]+4[itex]^{2}[/itex]...

So the derivative of this with respect to n would be

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=2(1)+2(2)+2(3)+2(4)...

another way to write this would be

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=2(1+2+3+4...)

Or...

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=2(ƩK)

So since Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex] is (2n[itex]^{3}[/itex]+3n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/6 it stands to reason that the derivative of this equation would be equal to 2(ƩK), but it isn't.

Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex]=(2n[itex]^{3}[/itex]+3n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/6=

Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex]=(1/3)n[itex]^{3}[/itex]+(1/2)n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+(1/6)n=

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n+1/6) Which we said equals 2Ʃk

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n+1/6)=2Ʃk

dƩk[itex]^{2}[/itex]/dn=(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n+1/6)/2=Ʃk

We earlier said that Ʃk=(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/2 Which renders the above equation untrue.

The funny part of this is that this holds true for Ʃk[itex]^{3}[/itex] and a few others I have tried. Can anyone explain why this doesn't work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

PEZenfuego said:
So the derivative of this with respect to n would be

dƩk2/dn=2(1)+2(2)+2(3)+2(4)...

No, this is wrong. You seem to have forgotten that you're differentiating with respect to n and not with respect to k. Therefore the expression is [tex] \frac{d}{dn}\sum_{k=1}^n k^2[/tex]I couldn't think of a a way to compute this "term-wise" (i.e. without first just evaluating the sum and then differentiating) until I realized that I could re-write the summation as[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (n-i)^2 [/tex]So now we have[tex]\frac{d}{dn}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (n-i)^2 = \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{d}{dn}\left[(n-i)^2\right] = \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} 2(n-i)[/tex][tex] = 2\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} n - 2\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}i = 2n^2 - 2\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/tex][tex]=2n^2 - (n^2 - n)[/tex][tex] = n^2 + n [/tex]

Hmm...looks like I'm missing a 1/6 term somewhere. But you get the basic idea.

Last edited:

You can't actually define the derivative of a discrete series with respect to the upper limit of the sum. The definition of the derivative,
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = \lim_{\mathrm{d}x\to 0}\frac{y(x + \mathrm{d} x) - y(x)}{\mathrm{d}x}[/tex]
involves an interval [itex]\mathrm{d}x[/itex] which has to become arbitrarily close to zero, while still allowing you to evaluate the function [itex]y(x)[/itex] at two points separated by that interval. When you only have discretely spaced "points," you can't do that. There is a lower limit on how small [itex]\mathrm{d}x[/itex] can become, namely 1, which means the normal definition of a derivative doesn't work.

What you have to do is analytically continue the series into a function - in other words, you have to find a differentiable function which reproduces the terms of the series when evaluated at integer values, but which is also defined at non-integer values. The easiest way to do this is just to sum the series analytically. In this case, when you do that you get
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k^2 = \frac{2n^3+3n^2+n}{6}[/tex]
which is a perfectly fine function to differentiate.

cepheid, I think the reason you're missing your 1/6 term is that you aren't accounting for the increase in the number of terms in the series as [itex]n[/itex] increases. I actually can't think of a way to do that offhand (which is why people tend to prefer just summing the series before differentiation).

Hi PEZenfuego! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
PEZenfuego said:
… Anyway, the equation for Ʃk[itex]^{2}[/itex] is (2n[itex]^{3}[/itex]+3n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/6

and the one for ƩK is (n[itex]^{2}[/itex]+n)/2

Do it the easy way :wink:

don't go for ∑n2, go for ∑n(n-1) [or ∑n(n-1)…(n-r)] …

what does that look like the derivative of? :tongue2:

Oh wow...how did I not see that?

The derivative of Ʃk2 is 2Ʃk with respect to Ʃk...obviously and not n. Thanks guys.

PEZenfuego said:
Oh wow...how did I not see that?

The derivative of Ʃk2 is 2Ʃk with respect to Ʃk
...with respect to k, not Ʃk
PEZenfuego said:
...obviously and not n. Thanks guys.

Mark44 said:
...with respect to k, not Ʃk

Salt in my wound...lol

1. How do I solve a summation problem?

The first step in solving a summation problem is to make sure you understand the problem and its notation. Then, you can use various methods such as the formula for arithmetic or geometric series, or the properties of summation, to simplify the problem. Finally, evaluate the resulting expression to find the solution.

2. How does differentiation relate to summation?

Differentiation and summation are inverse operations. This means that differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while summation is the process of adding up the values of a function. In other words, differentiation undoes the effects of summation, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between summation and differentiation?

Summation is the process of adding up a sequence of numbers, while differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function. In summation, the input is a sequence of numbers, while in differentiation, the input is a function. Additionally, summation results in a single value, while differentiation results in a function.

4. How can summation and differentiation lead to a disaster?

Summation and differentiation can lead to a disaster if they are used incorrectly or if there are errors in the calculations. For example, if there are mistakes in the notation or the simplification process, the final answer may be incorrect. It is important to double-check your work and seek help if you are unsure about the steps.

5. What are some tips for solving a difficult summation problem?

Some tips for solving difficult summation problems include breaking the problem into smaller parts, using known formulas or properties, and checking your work as you go. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with the problem. Practice and persistence are key in becoming proficient in solving summation problems.