Summation Equation Comparison: Spivak's Calculus Answer Book vs Speculation

• Thread starter julypraise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the Spivak's Calculus Answer Book (3ed) states a formula on page 17 that involves a summation with a condition of i not equal to j. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the formula in the book and the one provided by the individual. Upon further investigation, it is likely that the formula in the book is incorrect and the individual's formula is correct. This can be proven by manually writing out the formula for i and j running through specific values and by using a proven summation identity.
julypraise

Homework Statement

The Spivak's Calculus Answer Book (3ed) states that, on page 17,

[itex]\sum_{i \neq j} (x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 - x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j}) = 2\sum_{i < j}(x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 + x_{j}^{2}y_{i}^2 - x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j})[/itex]

But as I speculate, I've got the following:

[itex]\sum_{i \neq j} (x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 - x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j}) = \sum_{i < j}(x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 + x_{j}^{2}y_{i}^2 - 2x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j})[/itex]

Could you check which is right?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\sum_{i \neq j} (x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 - x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j}) = \sum_{i < j}(x_{i}^{2}y_{j}^2 + x_{j}^{2}y_{i}^2 - 2x_{i}y_{i}x_{j}y_{j})[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that the answer in the book is wrong.
You can easily write it out manually for i, j running through {1, 2}.

It's also possible to prove using
[tex]\sum_{i \neq j} a_{ij} = \sum_{i < j} a_{ij} + \sum_{i > j} a_{ij}[/tex]
where
[tex]\sum_{i > j} a_{ij} = \sum_{j > i} a_{ji} = \sum_{i < j} a_{ji}[/tex]

1. What is a summation?

A summation is the process of adding together a series of numbers or terms. It is represented mathematically by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific equations.

2. How do you calculate a summation?

To calculate a summation, you need to first determine the starting and ending values of the series. Then, plug in these values into the equation and add up all the individual terms. The result is the summation of the series.

3. What is the purpose of using a summation in scientific research?

Summations are commonly used in scientific research to represent the total amount or value of a certain quantity. They are also useful for simplifying complex mathematical equations and making them easier to solve.

4. Can summations be used for infinite series?

Yes, summations can be used for infinite series as long as the series follows a specific pattern and has a known formula for calculating each term. In these cases, the summation can provide an exact value for the infinite series.

5. How can a summation be used in real-world applications?

Summations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the total distance traveled, the total energy expended, or the total cost of a project, among other things.