Is Pursuing a PhD in Organic Photovoltaics a Smart Career Move?

• Thread starter armis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation revolves around the worth of getting a PhD and career prospects outside academia. Some participants share their own experiences, with one person mentioning their PhD in computational astrophysics and how they found success in web programming during the dot-com boom. Another person talks about their PhD in particle physics and their current struggle to find a job in engineering or a technical field. The overall consensus is that a PhD can be valuable, but it ultimately depends on individual circumstances and interests.
StatGuy2000 said:
Of course, one could argue that all of the people you know with a physics PhD, including yourself, ended up getting the job that they have because of their PhD, in spite of the fact that the job itself has nothing to do with their PhD. For example, many companies advertising for data science/data mining positions (such as yours) often hire physics PhDs or cognate quantitative degrees like math, CS, statistics or operations research because of the analytical skills gained as part of their PhD training). Those positions may not necessarily be open for those without a masters or a PhD (many of the advertised data science positions states that a minimum of a masters degree in a quantitative field like math, physics or statistics is a requirement).

You could also argue that the only reason this is true is because there are so many quantitative phds in the job market that employers can be picky similar to why office positions like office mail person etc in some companies now require bachelors when before they required only HS despite the fact that handing people mail doesn't require a college degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
mdxyz said:
This is a good analogy.

Imagine that a PhD is like someone paying you food and board to play amateur golf for 5 or so years.

I can see the appeal of that.

But bear in mind that many people with physics PhDs were Type A overachievers in school who saw their degree as a ticket to the very top, not a scratch-card where the prize is to get paid to do your hobby for a few years, then have to get a mediocre job.

It's not about "overachievers". Golf is different - there is a clear distinction between amateurs and professional. Amateurs have different schools, trainers and competitions. They know right from the start that they are amateurs and won't earn money. No one is telling them that they are going to be professionals one day. They know their place. Everything is clear and fair right from the start.

Physics is different. You do golf in professional school for 10 years and are told by your trainers that you are going to be professional one day only to realize that it's not going to happen.

I didn't do PhD but BSc in Physics wasn't worth my time. I regret it but back then I had no idea what to do with my life. Now I know and study it (in my country higher education is free) but I have wasted 5 years for useless education.

Last edited:
jesse73 said:
The only cases for a necessary requirement of a PhD are for technical research positions which the rest of the comment acknowledges is unlikely position to get.

There is also the demeaning look at a lifetime of dentistry while acknowledging that phd physicists arent going to work in physics. Seems odd.

I'm not talking about companies that will hire you only when you have a PhD. I mean that with the experience gained from doing a PhD (sharpening your problem solving skills, etc) you might be able to advance in your career better or faster than without a PhD.

People with a PhD in physics might not all work as physicists, but they're no window washers either. I am also not a physicist now but an engineer. If I make a career switch and go work for a bank, I will probably not become a cashier, but maybe make predictive models for the stock market. I would be happy in a wide range of non-physics jobs as long as it is mentally challenging. I just don't think there is that much freedom in dentistry.

ChrisVer said:
I am not going to be paid for my masters, I am going to do my PhDs and parallel a master...there's a difference (I'll be paid for my work)

Because it's relevant to the discussion, and not a specific critique of your choices here, I would point out that in most cases it's not feasible to do the PhD AND another graduate program - at least not without extended the time taken for either or both substantially.

A PhD is a full-time commitment for most people. And most supervisors are not going to be happy with a student diverting a substantially amount of time to another program that doesn't advance the PhD project.

It's not a bad idea to supplement the PhD with a few courses here and there that might give you marketable skills. Other options include holding volunteer positions or getting part-time work. But even getting a part-time job can delay progress on your PhD. It's the kind of thing that can turn a four year project into six years.

jesse73 said:
You could also argue that the only reason this is true is because there are so many quantitative phds in the job market that employers can be picky similar to why office positions like office mail person etc in some companies now require bachelors when before they required only HS despite the fact that handing people mail doesn't require a college degree.

The situation is not necessarily that clear cut. For example, in my field (statistics) what I see currently is that in the era of "big data" (a result of increasing computing power and ever larger databases with greater storage capacity) more and more companies and organizations require people with the quantitative skills to be able to effectively handle and analyze them to help them make better decisions.

Statistics and sub-specialties in CS such as machine learning, are the natural degree programs that one would ordinarily turn to for precisely these positions, but there are still relatively too few people who graduate with MS or PHD (or even BS) in these programs compared to the demand. Thus employers are turning to other quantitative PhDs such as physics to fill the void, as they have cognate skills and thus have an easier time transitioning to such fields.

Choppy said:
Because it's relevant to the discussion, and not a specific critique of your choices here, I would point out that in most cases it's not feasible to do the PhD AND another graduate program - at least not without extended the time taken for either or both substantially.

A PhD is a full-time commitment for most people. And most supervisors are not going to be happy with a student diverting a substantially amount of time to another program that doesn't advance the PhD project.

It's not a bad idea to supplement the PhD with a few courses here and there that might give you marketable skills. Other options include holding volunteer positions or getting part-time work. But even getting a part-time job can delay progress on your PhD. It's the kind of thing that can turn a four year project into six years.
These points are largely true except for the part time work part. The condition for an RA or TA in grad schools or at least the big ones is that you are not taking part time jobs elsewhere without approval of people at the university. The idea is that your PhD program will expect you to focus on your PhD and they are funding you based on this idea. It isn't like undergrad where you arent funded so you can do what you want because it isn't on someone else's penny.

StatGuy2000 said:
The situation is not necessarily that clear cut. For example, in my field (statistics) what I see currently is that in the era of "big data" (a result of increasing computing power and ever larger databases with greater storage capacity) more and more companies and organizations require people with the quantitative skills to be able to effectively handle and analyze them to help them make better decisions.

Statistics and sub-specialties in CS such as machine learning, are the natural degree programs that one would ordinarily turn to for precisely these positions, but there are still relatively too few people who graduate with MS or PHD (or even BS) in these programs compared to the demand. Thus employers are turning to other quantitative PhDs such as physics to fill the void, as they have cognate skills and thus have an easier time transitioning to such fields.
The same could be said about systems engineering but we have heard that contractors arent knocking down doors for physics grad when they can retool an engineer. More CS BSc are also coming out with machine learning experience since universities are reacting to demand in their course offerings. However like I previously mentioned employers arent taking these kids because they can pick up a quantitative PhD with programming experience for nearly for the same cost because the glut of PhDs and the current high costs of BSc in CS.

jesse73 said:
These points are largely true except for the part time work part. The condition for an RA or TA in grad schools or at least the big ones is that you are not taking part time jobs elsewhere without approval of people at the university. The idea is that your PhD program will expect you to focus on your PhD and they are funding you based on this idea. It isn't like undergrad where you arent funded so you can do what you want because it isn't on someone else's penny.

That condition gets broken frequently. But generally you are correct and essentially I think we're arguing the same thing here.

jesse73 said:
The same could be said about systems engineering but we have heard that contractors arent knocking down doors for physics grad when they can retool an engineer. More CS BSc are also coming out with machine learning experience since universities are reacting to demand in their course offerings. However like I previously mentioned employers arent taking these kids because they can pick up a quantitative PhD with programming experience for nearly for the same cost because the glut of PhDs and the current high costs of BSc in CS.

It is true that more CS BSc are coming out with machine learning experience, but not at the pace needed to fill the data science positions -- hence the physics and other quantitative PhDs. And since supply and demand works here, we shouldn't expect that the glut of physics PhDs will necessarily last (many of the physics PhDs are foreign students, particularly from Asian countries, and a significant percentage of them will likely return to their own countries for research positions in their own countries).

StatGuy2000 said:
It is true that more CS BSc are coming out with machine learning experience, but not at the pace needed to fill the data science positions -- hence the physics and other quantitative PhDs. And since supply and demand works here, we shouldn't expect that the glut of physics PhDs will necessarily last (many of the physics PhDs are foreign students, particularly from Asian countries, and a significant percentage of them will likely return to their own countries for research positions in their own countries).
What is the reasoning to assume that the pace for data science jobs will continue while assuming there will be a significant change in rates of foreign phds returning to their own countries?

If anything there is much talk about tech stocks being overvalued (huge valuations for Uber/Snapchat etc) and in a bubble. The assumption of growth of these tech jobs seems like a big assumption.

Choppy said:

I'll try to move away from my personal case, towards a more general case...
I don't really understand this idea. For example someone who is doing his PhDs doesn't have any time for himself (in general master courses cost 3-4 hrs/day as much as a hobby activity would last+homework)? The important thing is not how many assignments you overtake, but how well you can adjust your time/everyday schedule. I don't say I can manage that well, but of course someone else can...

ChrisVer said:
I don't really understand this idea. For example someone who is doing his PhDs doesn't have any time for himself (in general master courses cost 3-4 hrs/day as much as a hobby activity would last+homework)? The important thing is not how many assignments you overtake, but how well you can adjust your time/everyday schedule. I don't say I can manage that well, but of course someone else can...

Of course you'll have free time during your PhD. But for most people after you spend roughly 8 hours (and in many cases a lot more) working on your PhD - reading papers, coursework, programming, writing, tweaking an experiment, etc. and then go on to complete whatever work you have for your teaching assignment - I don't think it's that practical to take on another 3-4 hours of coursework each day that's unrelated to your PhD, especially on a regular basis. Most people need some form of down time.

It may not be unrealistic to slip a course or two in here and there. And over the entire PhD, you may very well be able take a chunk out of a course-based master's degree and then complete whatever remains afterwards.

And of course there are always exceptional people who could to both and build a house and wonder everyone else struggles so much.

It isn't about the time costs but the money costs. Courses costs money in university and that money comes from your department or advisor.

Why is it useful to take a masters and a PhD? A general education masters won't make you more employable, while if the masters degree will get you into a specific field you intend to work in, why not do the masters full time instead of the PhD?

jesse73 said:
What is the reasoning to assume that the pace for data science jobs will continue while assuming there will be a significant change in rates of foreign phds returning to their own countries?

If anything there is much talk about tech stocks being overvalued (huge valuations for Uber/Snapchat etc) and in a bubble. The assumption of growth of these tech jobs seems like a big assumption.

There is a big difference between the tech industry in general (and it may very well be the case that tech stocks could indeed be overvalued -- I haven't done any analysis of the historical data over the past few months so it is difficult to say whether that is the case) and data science in particular.

Many of the companies and organizations that are currently offering data science jobs are those outside of the tech industry (in fact, in many different industries -- think financial firms such as banks and insurance companies, market research firms, consulting firms, retail chains, non-profits, even manufacturing firms), simply because advances in computing have reduced the cost of collecting data on consumers/customers/stakeholders in these industries, and there is increased value in understanding the data to make better decisions. I could be wrong about this, but I don't foresee the demand for data science positions changing any time soon.

With respect to any change in the rates of foreign PhDs returning to their own countries, this would obviously depend on the economic conditions of their home countries. As of this moment, much of the economic growth has been led in non-Western countries such as China, India, and numerous Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia (which incidentally are also countries where many of the foreign PhDs in the STEM fields like physics originate). Until recently, many of the PhD graduates would have tried to stay in the country where they earned their PhD (e.g. Canada, US, western Europe, Australia, etc.) but I have heard at least anecdotally that there are an increasing number of these PhDs graduates that have returned to their own countries due to increased opportunities.

StatGuy2000 said:
There is a big difference between the tech industry in general (and it may very well be the case that tech stocks could indeed be overvalued -- I haven't done any analysis of the historical data over the past few months so it is difficult to say whether that is the case) and data science in particular.

Many of the companies and organizations that are currently offering data science jobs are those outside of the tech industry (in fact, in many different industries -- think financial firms such as banks and insurance companies, market research firms, consulting firms, retail chains, non-profits, even manufacturing firms), simply because advances in computing have reduced the cost of collecting data on consumers/customers/stakeholders in these industries, and there is increased value in understanding the data to make better decisions. I could be wrong about this, but I don't foresee the demand for data science positions changing any time soon.

With respect to any change in the rates of foreign PhDs returning to their own countries, this would obviously depend on the economic conditions of their home countries. As of this moment, much of the economic growth has been led in non-Western countries such as China, India, and numerous Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia (which incidentally are also countries where many of the foreign PhDs in the STEM fields like physics originate). Until recently, many of the PhD graduates would have tried to stay in the country where they earned their PhD (e.g. Canada, US, western Europe, Australia, etc.) but I have heard at least anecdotally that there are an increasing number of these PhDs graduates that have returned to their own countries due to increased opportunities.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/chinas-real-estate-bubble-50142079/

I want to pursue graduate school education but I want to do it in a field in biology. I like physics but I think I can only pursue physics as a hobby.

Is it better to do grad school in biology? I hope so maybe you guys don't know. Felt like asking anyway thanks

StatGuy2000 said:
There is a big difference between the tech industry in general . . . and data science in particular.

Many of the companies and organizations that are currently offering data science jobs are those outside of the tech industry

Strongly agree with this.

Delong said:
I want to pursue graduate school education but I want to do it in a field in biology. I like physics but I think I can only pursue physics as a hobby.

Is it better to do grad school in biology? I hope so maybe you guys don't know. Felt like asking anyway thanks

Everything I've read and seen suggests the market for PhD's in biology may be even worse than that of physics.

You should carefully research this.

Locrian said:
Everything I've read and seen suggests the market for PhD's in biology may be even worse than that of physics.

I know the bls says biomedical research is in high demand. Plant and microbial biology was also in decent demand. I was considering one of these three but what you just said made me scared gah...

Last edited by a moderator:
Locrian said:

I have also heard poor things, overall, about the market in biology.

But the market depends strongly what kind of biology, and what kind of physics, you are comparing.

With training in genetics/genomics/molecular biology/biomedical applications, my impression is that there are more fallback options that allow you to remain in your field and make use of your training than there are in theoretical physics. The pharma industry comes to mind, as does regulatory work.

If I were interested in bio I would do an MD, or if really interested in research, an MD-PhD. The thing is that the MD-PhD takes about 8 years, followed by residency for those who want board certification. But once finished with all this you are set...this is one of a few areas where there are way more academic jobs than people qualified for them.

Last edited:
moontiger said:
I have also heard poor things, overall, about the market in biology.

But the market depends strongly what kind of biology, and what kind of physics, you are comparing.

With training in genetics/genomics/molecular biology/biomedical applications, my impression is that there are more fallback options that allow you to remain in your field and make use of your training than there are in theoretical physics. The pharma industry comes to mind, as does regulatory work.

If I were interested in bio I would do an MD, or if really interested in research, an MD-PhD. The thing is that the MD-PhD takes about 8 years, followed by residency for those who want board certification. But once finished with all this you are set...this is one of a few areas where there are way more academic jobs than people qualified for them.

Thanks for the input. I'm more interested in the science then the medicine although I want to pay close attention to applicability. An area of biology I'm drawn to right now is stem cell biology, or plant genetics, but I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Biostatistics is very marketable.

jesse73 said:
Biostatistics is very marketable.

Indeed it is, although one should add that the majority of biostatisticians (including myself) do not have a background in biology at all -- the majority of biostatisticians I know have majored in math, statistics (not surprisingly), and/or computer science. Whatever knowledge of biology or medicine that is necessary is typically covered in the MS or PhD biostatistics programs.

StatGuy2000 said:
Indeed it is, although one should add that the majority of biostatisticians (including myself) do not have a background in biology at all -- the majority of biostatisticians I know have majored in math, statistics (not surprisingly), and/or computer science. Whatever knowledge of biology or medicine that is necessary is typically covered in the MS or PhD biostatistics programs.

I think I'll just have to accept that my chances of making money have become harder by choosing a career in biology. Haha dumb me

I did a whole PhD., but an EE degree would have been sufficient.

I think the most important things are

1) your advisor's connections and where his previous students are.

2) What marketable skills you'll gain while doing the PhD. "Problem solving" and "self starting" don't count on the resume. I mean something practical like C++ or some nifty piece of equipment industry uses.

rigetFrog said:
"Problem solving" and "self starting" don't count on the resume. I mean something practical like C++ or some nifty piece of equipment industry uses.

Sure they do. If you're really a self-starting problem solver, your advisor will tell people that when they call for a reference. More likely, that is how he or she will sell you when trying to drum up a job for you.

Having an adviser say that as a reference is different than putting it on your resume though. Nearly all STEM graduates, even without a Phd, consider themselves "problem solvers" and "self starters" and many of them are. I think putting that on your resume is fluff, but having a reference say it about you is meaningful.

analogdesign said:
Sure they do. If you're really a self-starting problem solver, your advisor will tell people that when they call for a reference. More likely, that is how he or she will sell you when trying to drum up a job for you.

"Self starting problem solver" is a meaningless cliche by now just like "detail oriented".

ModusPwnd said:
Having an adviser say that as a reference is different than putting it on your resume though. Nearly all STEM graduates, even without a Phd, consider themselves "problem solvers" and "self starters" and many of them are. I think putting that on your resume is fluff, but having a reference say it about you is meaningful.

That's a fair point. I guess I was thinking of "resume" as set of skills and experience rather than a physical document.

jesse73 said:
"Self starting problem solver" is a meaningless cliche by now just like "detail oriented".

Well, SAYING you're a "self-starting problem solver" is a cliche. Being one is not (and rare!). But like I said above, I agree it shouldn't go on a resume.

Likes 1 person