How Can a High School Student Prepare for a Career at NASA?

In summary, the speaker is a high school junior from New York who plans on attending a local undergraduate school for 2 years before transferring to UCLA or another top physics school on the west coast. They are unsure of their specific major in physics but have been doing side experiments to help narrow it down. They are also interested in working for NASA and are considering becoming a teacher while pursuing a PhD in physics. The speaker asks for recommendations on what courses to take in college and the expert suggests taking English, Calculus, Multivariable, Differential Equations, Physics, and General Chemistry. They also mention the importance of getting good grades in order to transfer to UCLA or other top schools.
alex caps
I am a junior in high school and I live in New York. I am planning on going to an undergrad school around here for 2 years after I graduate, then transfering over to UCLA or one of the better physics schools in the west coast. I am not sure yet what aspect of physics I want to major in, but I have been doing side experiments out of school such as designing/making a hovercraft and some other things to try and narrow that down. Basically what I was wondering is, if I eventually wanted to try and get a job working for nasa, what would you recommend I took in college, what kind of stuff do they look for/recquire. Also, I have been thinking about studying physics and other sciences and after getting my Bachelors, trying to get a job as a teacher and while I teach, take night classes to get my phd and work towards a job for nasa. What do you suggest I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
in college, take English 1 and 2, Calculus 1, 2, Multivariable, and Differential Equations, Physics 1, Physics 2, oh and General Chemistry 1 and 2. It depends on what college or university in New York you will be attending. Certainly if you are going to CUNY you'll have to make sure you get straight A's in order to transfer to UCLA. Same thing with SUNY. If you end up going to Columbia - i won't recommend going to UCLA - these guys are overrated, stay in New York

-- my 2 cents

First of all, congratulations on your passion for physics and your goal of working for NASA! It is great that you are already exploring different aspects of physics and conducting experiments outside of school. This will definitely help you narrow down your interests and prepare you for a career in the field.

In terms of what to study in college, it would be beneficial to take courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. These are all important areas for a career in NASA. Additionally, you may want to consider taking courses in a specific area of physics that interests you, such as astrophysics, particle physics, or space exploration. It would also be helpful to participate in research projects or internships related to your field of interest.

In terms of what NASA looks for in candidates, they typically require a strong academic background in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) fields. They also look for experience in research, problem-solving skills, and a passion for space exploration. Having a graduate degree, such as a PhD, can also be beneficial for certain positions at NASA.

Your plan of becoming a teacher and pursuing a PhD while working towards a job at NASA is a great idea. Teaching experience can be valuable for developing communication and leadership skills, which are important in any field. It also shows a dedication to education and a passion for sharing knowledge with others. Additionally, pursuing a PhD can provide you with more in-depth knowledge and research experience in your chosen field.

Overall, my suggestion would be to continue exploring different aspects of physics and gaining experience through internships and research opportunities. Keep your grades up and focus on developing strong problem-solving and technical skills. And don't be afraid to reach out to individuals who currently work at NASA to learn more about their experiences and get advice on how to best prepare for a career with the organization. Good luck on your journey towards working for NASA!

1. What qualifications do I need to work for NASA?

To work for NASA, you typically need a bachelor's degree in a field related to aerospace engineering, computer science, or physics. However, specific qualifications may vary depending on the position you are applying for. It is also important to have relevant experience and skills in your field of interest.

2. How can I apply for a job at NASA?

You can apply for a job at NASA by visiting the official NASA website and searching for available job openings. Once you find a position that interests you, you can submit your application through the online portal. Make sure to carefully review the job requirements and submit all necessary documents to increase your chances of getting hired.

3. What types of jobs are available at NASA?

NASA offers a wide range of job opportunities in various fields, including engineering, science, technology, and administration. Some common job titles at NASA include aerospace engineer, research scientist, computer systems analyst, and project manager.

4. What is the hiring process like at NASA?

The hiring process at NASA typically involves submitting an application, followed by a series of interviews and assessments to evaluate your skills and qualifications. Depending on the position, you may also be required to undergo a background check and drug screening. Once you are selected for a job, you will receive a job offer and will be required to complete all necessary paperwork before starting your role.

5. What is it like to work for NASA?

Working for NASA can be an exciting and rewarding experience. You will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the world. However, it can also be a challenging and demanding job, requiring a high level of dedication and perseverance. Overall, working for NASA can be a fulfilling career for those passionate about space exploration and discovery.