Please explain how the MOSFET and the diode work.

In summary: You have a diode. If you want to make a simple first order P-FET, connect the Gate to the Source and the Source to the Drain.
yungman
I have been working on some music electronics, I got this on the web and I don't understand how the clipping circuit with germanium diode work.

151334[/ATTACH]"]
108916g.jpg

The part in question is the enhancement mode MOSFET IRF510 with the 1N34 diode. It is a clipping circuit common in distortion box used in guitar effect. Normal it is just two back to back diode for clipping the signal. I would imagine just two back to back germanium diode will work. What is the MOSFET for, I don't even see how the two MOSFET are turn on!

Please explain.

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• 108916g.jpg
    108916g.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,791
Engineering news on Phys.org
Those are diode connected mosfet. They work in saturation only.

I know about MOSFET rectifier, I read about the MOSFET bridge and understand how it works. Here is the link I read and it should work:

http://www.thetaeng.com/FETBridge.htm

I analyzed the circuit and I cannot see how the two MOSFET even get turn on. I understand the body diode play a role in the ordinary rectifier to turn on the FET, but I don't see how this circuit work.

The reason I put this here because it is published and is used, it must be doing something and I just don't get it.

if the diodes were the other way round, the fets would add to the clipping threshold, and probably soften the edges up a bit.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/distortion/index.html

that page has some info, it says
Above you can see special clipping diodes. The first one has one diode on the other side and two on the other. This cuts down the positive or negative peaks (depending on how you connected the diodes) more than the other side. The second one is from Jack A. Orman's and Aaron Nelson's Shaka Braddah III design. It uses a diode and a MOSFET to create clipping. It gives a nice, bluesy, soft clipping. The original diodes were 1N34's and the MOSFETs were IRF520's

edit: ha ha, on closer look, i think that's all the page says.

earlofwessex said:
if the diodes were the other way round, the fets would add to the clipping threshold, and probably soften the edges up a bit.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/distortion/index.html

that page has some info, it says

edit: ha ha, on closer look, i think that's all the page says.

Thanks for the reply, that's the Jack A. Orman's and Aaron Nelson's Shaka Braddah III design. My question is how does it work. My confusion is how does the circuit conduct. If you look at the link you provided, the left hand side is the enhancement NMOS with the source connects to the anode of the 1N34.

Let see if top side is positive, the gate of the NMOS is tied to the Drain and when positive, the NMOS is trying to turn on. BUT the diode is connected backward and is OFF. There will be no conduction.

Now if the bottom is positive and top is negative, the diode want to turn on. BUT the NMOS is up side down where the Source is on the positive end and the Gate and Drain is connected to the negative side. Even if you say the S and D is interchangeable, the gate is tide to the D(which is S if you switch S to D) and it is not going to turn on as it is an enhancement mode FET.

This is my confusion. It is obvious the circuit works, but how?

It seems that you completely forgot about build-in in every MOSFET parasitic diode (body diode). This diode act just like a Zener diode. The Zener action occurs when Vds > Vds_max. And act like a "normal" diode when Vsd > 0.6V.

Jony130 said:
It seems that you completely forgot about build-in in every MOSFET parasitic diode (body diode). This diode act just like a Zener diode. The Zener action occurs when Vds > Vds_max. And act like a "normal" diode when Vsd > 0.6V.

I did not forget the body diode, in fact the body diode is the very thing that make MOSFET as rectifier possible. In fact the body diode is shown in the drawing I posted. It does not make any sense to use the MOSFET just to use the body diode and the MOSFET never get turn on. There got to be a better reason. I designed a lot of MOSFET circuits, just cannot make sense out of this.

It is not used as Zener as the voltage is much higher, this is a clamping circuit for distortion that use 9V battery, never even touch the zener break down voltage.

Well, my scope don't see any difference

attachment.php?attachmentid=45855&stc=1&d=1333482952.png

It's looks like another audiophile myth.

Attachments

• NewFile1.PNG
    NewFile1.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,048
I see a difference in your scope, those peaks are clipped asymetrically.

it should be noted that DIY guitar effects pedals are usually built by random trial and error, by people who haven't studied electronic design.

FETs as diodes

You can connect the Gate and Source to make a FET diode. Connect a FET Gate+Source to ground and the Drain to signal. Then connect another FET Drain to ground and Gate+Source to Signal. Try these where you might have your standard silicon diode clippers.

Buzzwords: "More touch sensitivity", "FET sound", "Tube crunch"
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_mods

Yeh, I really think it's those people that really don't know electronics doing something really funny. I did the simulation with LTSpice and see the same thing as your scope trace. The MOSFET is nothing more than a body diode.

earlofwessex said:
I see a difference in your scope, those peaks are clipped asymetrically.

it should be noted that DIY guitar effects pedals are usually built by random trial and error, by people who haven't studied electronic design.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_mods

I think it's due to the Vbe difference. I am busy working on the diode clipping distortion circuit and I can change the duty cycle by introducing offset.

1. How does a MOSFET work?

A MOSFET, or metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor, works by using an electric field to control the flow of current through a channel between the source and drain terminals. When a voltage is applied to the gate terminal, it creates an electric field that either allows or blocks the flow of current, depending on the type of MOSFET. This allows for precise control of the current flow, making it a key component in electronic devices.

2. What is the difference between an N-channel and P-channel MOSFET?

The main difference between an N-channel and P-channel MOSFET is the type of charge carriers that are used to create the electric field in the channel. In an N-channel MOSFET, the channel is made of n-type semiconductor material and the charge carriers are electrons. In a P-channel MOSFET, the channel is made of p-type semiconductor material and the charge carriers are holes.

3. How does a diode work?

A diode works by allowing current to flow in one direction and blocking it in the opposite direction. This is due to the diode's structure, which consists of a p-n junction between a p-type and n-type semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, it allows for current flow. In the reverse direction, the p-n junction acts as a barrier, preventing current from flowing.

4. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

The main purpose of a diode in a circuit is to control the direction of current flow. It can be used to convert AC to DC, prevent damage from reverse polarity, and regulate voltage levels. Diodes are also used in logic gates and as rectifiers in power supplies.

5. How do MOSFETs and diodes work together in a circuit?

MOSFETs and diodes can work together in a circuit to control and regulate the flow of current. A diode can be used to protect a MOSFET from reverse voltage spikes, while a MOSFET can be used to precisely control the current through a diode. They are often used together in power supply circuits and in electronic switches.