10 light years but destroyed 6000 years ago?

In summary: I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I don't think anyone is really aiming for young readers when it comes to this website.The Pillars of Creation are 10 light years away from us, but are said to be already destroyed 6000 years ago.
heartyface
https://lh5.ggpht.com/NsJ2tAGpQI0QP2_P31FfOXryx0O3em1mSGLvBjfZcdcGux20sksxwyPJNvLGlMSs7Aw6pmA=s167

The Pillars of Creation are 10 light years away from us, but are said to be already destroyed 6000 years ago. In the picture above, it say that we still have a millenneum to observe them. But then, wouldn't the light delay only be 10 years? Shouldn't we already have observed their demolishing 5990 years ago?
Please explain this to me, thank you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What, exactly, was destroyed 6000 years ago to form the "pillars of creation"? If they are 10 light years away then we are 5990 years to late to see what was there before but that does not mean we cannot see the "pillars" themselves.

The Pillars are 7,000 light years from earth

heartyface said:
The Pillars of Creation are 10 light years away from us, but are said to be already destroyed 6000 years ago.

"Said" by whom? Do you have a link?

heartyface said:
https://lh5.ggpht.com/NsJ2tAGpQI0QP2_P31FfOXryx0O3em1mSGLvBjfZcdcGux20sksxwyPJNvLGlMSs7Aw6pmA=s167

The Pillars of Creation are 10 light years away from us, but are said to be already destroyed 6000 years ago. In the picture above, it say that we still have a millenneum to observe them. But then, wouldn't the light delay only be 10 years? Shouldn't we already have observed their demolishing 5990 years ago?
Please explain this to me, thank you.
Read your own source. It says that the "Pillars of Creation lie within the Eagle Nebula. The Eagle Nebular is 7,000 light years away from us."

That 10 light year figure at the top of the caption text is a (somewhat mistaken) statement regarding the size of the pillars, not how far away they are. The largest of the Pillars of Creation is a "mere" 7 light years tall. There's a separate streamer that is 9.5 light years tall but isn't quite as dramatic as are the Pillars.

Regarding the supernova that purportedly destroyed the Pillars 6,000 years ago: That's a 2006/2007 conjecture based on imagery from the Spitzer Space Telescope. A number of astronomers dispute that conjecture. The conjecture made the news as if it were fact because it's an interesting claim and hence sells copy. That it is merely a conjecture, that many dispute it: That doesn't make the news because it's boring. Or at least so think the editors and newsies who are generally quite clueless about science. Writers of internet websites repeat what they read, often badly. What's left for the general public is the conjecture misrepresented as fact, and none of the science behind it.

Pillars of Creation are 10 light years away from us, but are said to be already destroyed 6000 years ago

Name and time is about right if you're a creationist ... :-)

rorix_bw said:
Name and time is about right if you're a creationist ... :-)

..-_- no, shucks... come on.
5OgVl.png

This pic's from Nasa's page

As the other guy said I guess I read it wrong, maybe it was talking about the Eagle Nebula all the times.
haha

Is NASA's website really that bad? Is it aimed at young readers?

1. What does it mean for something to be "10 light years" away?

A light year is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to represent the distance that light can travel in one year, which is approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers. So, 10 light years would be equivalent to 94.6 trillion kilometers.

2. How can something be destroyed 6000 years ago if it is 10 light years away?

Due to the vast distances involved in space, it takes time for light to travel from one point to another. So, if an event occurred 6000 years ago, the light from that event would just now be reaching a point that is 10 light years away.

3. How can we see something that was destroyed 6000 years ago?

Even though the object may have been destroyed 6000 years ago, the light from that event is just now reaching us. So, we are seeing the event as it happened 6000 years ago, not in its current state.

4. How do scientists know that something was destroyed 6000 years ago?

Scientists can determine the age of an object or event by analyzing the light it emits. They can also use other methods, such as carbon dating, to determine the age of certain materials.

5. What can we learn from studying something that was destroyed 6000 years ago?

By studying the light from an event that occurred 6000 years ago, scientists can gain insight into the history and evolution of our universe. They can also use this information to make predictions about the future of our universe.