Where can I find a comprehensive book for learning Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for free resources for a beginner's guide on Linear Algebra. The suggested resources are Jim Hefferon's book, available for free on his website, and MIT OCW and Paul Dawkins for lectures and practice problems.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I have been reading Linear Algebra mostly from the web. But still can anybody suggest me any free resource for a e-book or a hard copy book on Linear Algebra.

On the web, amazon.com, there are so many books available, but I am looking for something which is a step by step guide, which would teach me from the basic elementary level and making me understand the complications also.

Waiting for repose.

-- Shounak

Please note tha

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
My two favorite resources when I took linear algebra in college were:

MIT OCW, which has tests, homework and very good lectures by Gilbert Strang.

Paul Dawkins, great explanations and many worked problems.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear transformations, and vector spaces. It involves the study of mathematical structures and operations that can be represented in a linear fashion.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, statistics, and economics. It is also an essential tool for solving systems of linear equations and for understanding complex mathematical concepts.

What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts form the foundation for understanding more advanced topics in linear algebra.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, cryptography, and optimization. It is also used in physics to model physical systems and in engineering to solve complex problems.

What are some useful resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many useful resources for learning linear algebra, such as textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. Online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free video lectures and practice exercises for learning linear algebra.