Aerospace Engineering Career Advice For Cosmo

• Thread starter cosmogod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary: Believe it or not .. but a couple of minutes ago... my dad told me the importance of documenting work in the same words as yours! I consider myself lucky to be given such a helpful advice.Your first mission is to write in a coherent, literate manner. Your second mission is to learn to ask questions that have answers. You will need those skills, no matter which field of engineering you choose. I think you're asking what sorts of things you might find on an Aerospace Engineering syllabus. I suggest that you look on a college website and see what it entails. Read the course descriptions. But if you just want a one sentence answer, here it is:
cosmogod
Hey all!

I wanted to pursue Aerospace engg as a career. I am pretty good at maths and have great passion for science and tech..( like i did projects on nuclear engg. and know all the combat jet jargon). Am also proud owner of scratch built corsair rc plane... and view space documentaries every single day.

Anyways... I really wanted to shift damn bad from mech( i am a sophomore) to Aerospace.

Can someone give me some sample questions from syllabus of Aero something? Like almost all the math requisites and stuff... Coz i really want to introspect my own skills before taking the next step.

I would really appreciate your suggestions.

-Cosmo

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean you no offense, but...

Your first mission is to write in a coherent, literate manner.
Your second mission is to learn to ask questions that have answers.

You will need those skills, no matter which field of engineering you choose.

I think you're asking what sorts of things you might find on an Aerospace Engineering syllabus. I suggest that you look on a college website and see what it entails. Read the course descriptions.

But if you just want a one sentence answer, here it is:

Aerospace engineering is basically applied fluid dynamics, materials, and control systems.

There is much more to it than that, but those three things are basically what it is all about.

And while you're at it, don't forget to take a solid course on English language skills, particularly on technical writing. If you can't document what you have designed, nobody will build it.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
I mean you no offense, but...

Your first mission is to write in a coherent, literate manner.
Your second mission is to learn to ask questions that have answers.

You will need those skills, no matter which field of engineering you choose.

I think you're asking what sorts of things you might find on an Aerospace Engineering syllabus. I suggest that you look on a college website and see what it entails. Read the course descriptions.

But if you just want a one sentence answer, here it is:

Aerospace engineering is basically applied fluid dynamics, materials, and control systems.

There is much more to it than that, but those three things are basically what it is all about.

And while you're at it, don't forget to take a solid course on English language skills, particularly on technical writing. If you can't document what you have designed, nobody will build it.

Thanks Jake! Believe it or not .. but a couple of minutes ago... my dad told me the importance of documenting work in the same words as yours! I consider myself lucky to be given such a helpful advice.

I am looking at the MIT OCW Aerospace syllabus for now . I will post some queries soon.

Ok... I just wanted to know the career path of doing Masters in Aerospace... from what UG programs can I shift to aerospace?

I am contemplating the possibility of going for BS in Engineering Physics/ Management... where I will be graduating earlier (2/3 years) than my current programme.

What other possibility I have for Aerospace-related UG courses? I am keeping US univ in sight for masters.

I really doubt that will give you the necessary prerequisites for a masters in aerospace engineering. Discuss this with masters advisors in the departments of the schools you are looking at, or are at currently.

Travis_King said:
I really doubt that will give you the necessary prerequisites for a masters in aerospace engineering. Discuss this with masters advisors in the departments of the schools you are looking at, or are at currently.

Thanks, Travis ! I will do that.. But now that you say it, it does make some sense to me...
I guess sticking to an engineering field will be the most steady way.

I will contact the Masters Advisor in the relevant colleges.

Thansk once again.!

1. What is the job outlook for aerospace engineers?

The job outlook for aerospace engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029. This is on par with the average growth rate for all occupations. However, competition for jobs in this field is expected to be strong.

2. What education and skills are required for a career in aerospace engineering?

Most aerospace engineering positions require a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. In addition, strong math and science skills, as well as computer proficiency, are essential for this career. Some employers may also prefer candidates with prior experience in internships or co-op programs.

3. What types of jobs can I get with an aerospace engineering degree?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense companies, government agencies, and research institutions. They may hold positions such as design engineer, systems engineer, flight test engineer, or project manager.

4. How important is networking for a career in aerospace engineering?

Networking can be crucial for finding job opportunities and advancing in a career in aerospace engineering. Attending industry events, joining professional organizations, and connecting with alumni and professionals in the field can help you make valuable connections and stay updated on industry developments.

5. What are some tips for standing out in the aerospace engineering job market?

To stand out in the aerospace engineering job market, it is important to continually update your skills and knowledge, stay current with industry trends and technologies, and gain experience through internships or co-op programs. Building a strong portfolio and networking with professionals in the field can also help you stand out to potential employers.