Seeking for jobs as a soon to be PhD

• Thread starter thavamaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs Phd
In summary, the speaker is a PhD candidate with a focus on 4G LTE and optical fibre communication integration. They have published 8 papers, with 3 in IEEE journals and 3 under review. They have experience in digital communications and teaching in DSP and optical fibre communication. Their skills include programming languages and circuit design, and they are skilled in experimental work. They are seeking advice on where to look for a job and are open to opportunities for a graduate with a PhD. They emphasize the importance of showcasing their skills and ideas to potential employers.
thavamaran
Hi guys,

I am currently writing-up my PhD thesis, research topic is in the area 4G LTE and optical fibre communication integration, from not very well reputed university in UK. I have published about 8 papers, where 3 of it are IEEE journals. I have another 3 under review, with one of it is IEEE journal as well. Most of my conferences are top spec. All 11 papers were achieved within 2 and a half years.

My specialized area is digital communications, including all modulation schemes, especially OFDM. Highly skilled in DSP.

I also have teaching experience in DSP and optical fibre communication since 2010.

My skills are including, programming languages, C, C++, MATLAB, Verilog HDL. Most circuit design CADs.

Very skillful in experimental work, I have used a wide range of test instruments. I have experience in baseband, radio frequency, optoelectronic circuits design. Basic experience in digital circuit design.

Could anyone please advice where I could look for a job, or if any experienced engineer looking for a graduate with PhD, please feel free to contact me.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the PhD level you ought to stress what you can do for your employer, show what you've done, and discuss some of your ideas.

People are looking for someone who has a sense of direction, not a need to play with expensive toys on the company dollar.

What types of jobs can I apply for with a PhD?

As a PhD holder, you can apply for a variety of jobs, including research and teaching positions in academia, as well as roles in industry, government, and non-profit organizations. Your skills and expertise gained during your PhD program make you a valuable candidate in many fields.

When should I start looking for jobs as a soon-to-be PhD?

It is never too early to start looking for job opportunities. Ideally, you should start networking and exploring job options at least 6-12 months before your expected graduation date. This will give you enough time to research and apply for positions that align with your career goals.

How can I make my PhD stand out to potential employers?

Highlighting your unique research experience, publications, and any awards or recognition you have received during your PhD program can make your application stand out. Additionally, showcasing any transferable skills, such as project management, critical thinking, and communication, can demonstrate your potential value to employers.

What are some resources for finding job opportunities as a PhD?

There are several resources available to help you find job opportunities as a PhD. These include job search engines like Indeed and Glassdoor, industry-specific job boards, professional networking sites like LinkedIn, and attending career fairs and conferences in your field. Your university's career center may also have resources and connections to assist you in your job search.

How can I prepare for job interviews as a soon-to-be PhD?

To prepare for job interviews, it is important to do thorough research on the company and the position you are applying for. Practice answering common interview questions and be ready to discuss your research and its relevance to the role. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of your career goals and how the job aligns with them. Lastly, be confident and professional in your interactions with the interviewer.