What jobs are there for a PHD in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for someone with a PhD in physics, including national labs, NASA, government and defense contractor jobs, teaching, working for power companies, and going into industry or politics. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a plan B and the potential job market for physics PhDs.
Jow
I am still in high school so I know this is a bit early to start worrying. My dream job would be one in academia, but as I understand, that isn't going to be easy. What other jobs are there for someone with a PHD in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get a job at a national lab, NASA, working for the government or a defense contractor, teach high school, work for a power company of some sort, go into industry (working for companies like GE, Google, 3M, etc), go into politics, or many other things. There are entire websites devoted to finding a non-academic career with a PhD.

the fact that you're asking this question should be raising warning signs.

how come no one asks what jobs are avaliable for PhDs in electrical engineering or chemistry does after they graduate?

chill_factor said:
the fact that you're asking this question should be raising warning signs.

how come no one asks what jobs are avaliable for PhDs in electrical engineering or chemistry does after they graduate?

Why should my asking be raising warning signs? I am generally a very cautious person so I figure it would be prudent to come up with a plan B while still in high school.

The reason I am not asking what jobs are available for electrical engineering or chemistry is because I know there are plenty of jobs for those people in industry and what not. Besides, I really am mostly interested in physics.

eri said:
You can get a job at a national lab, NASA, working for the government or a defense contractor, teach high school, work for a power company of some sort, go into industry (working for companies like GE, Google, 3M, etc), go into politics, or many other things. There are entire websites devoted to finding a non-academic career with a PhD.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was a bit worried that there were limited options for a physics PhD, but after your comment and some research of my own, I feel more confident.
(I know this may sound a tad morbid, but I'm hoping by the time I get into the job market the baby boomers will start to die off, leaving plenty of room for me.)

If you're still in high school, the prudent thing to do is to worry about your courses now and think about what you want out of a bachelors, because completing it does not guarantee you a place in a phd program.

Lavabug said:
If you're still in high school, the prudent thing to do is to worry about your courses now and think about what you want out of a bachelors, because completing it does not guarantee you a place in a phd program.

I realize that completing a bachelors program doesn't guarantee me a place in a PhD program, but for the sake of argument I am just assuming that I receive a PhD. As to your comment about me worrying about my courses now, I have, and I have found that I don't have much to worry about. You can take that as me just being hubris but it is true. I have thought about what I want out of a bachelors and that is to get into a PhD program (but don't worry, I have a plan B if that fails). The only thing I didn't have a Plan B for was failing to enter academia, but I do now.

1. What are the career options for someone with a PHD in Physics?

There are various career options available for someone with a PHD in Physics. Some common options include working as a research scientist, professor or lecturer at a university, data scientist, engineer, or a consultant for government agencies or private companies.

2. Can someone with a PHD in Physics work in industry?

Yes, many industries value individuals with a PHD in Physics for their analytical and problem-solving skills. Some industries that often hire PHD physicists include aerospace, defense, energy, and technology.

3. Is it possible to work in a non-technical field with a PHD in Physics?

Yes, having a PHD in Physics can also open up opportunities in non-technical fields such as finance, law, and science policy. These fields often require individuals with strong analytical and critical thinking skills, which are developed through a PHD program in Physics.

4. What are the job prospects for someone with a PHD in Physics?

The job prospects for someone with a PHD in Physics are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of physicists is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. However, job competition may be strong for certain positions, such as academic and research positions.

5. Are there any additional skills or qualifications that can make a PHD in Physics more marketable?

Yes, having additional skills or qualifications can make a PHD in Physics more marketable. Some examples include programming skills, experience with data analysis and statistical software, and project management experience. Additionally, obtaining certifications or completing internships and industry collaborations can also make a PHD physicist more competitive in the job market.