What master's degree should I take?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concerns about their studies in Industrial Engineering and their desire for a career in physics and engineering. They are unsure about what path to take for their master's degree and are considering working first before pursuing further education. They also mention the importance of knowing what one truly wants in order to make successful career choices.
Butters
I’m studying Industrial Engineering but it seems that I have nothing specific and it’s just about everything. I could say that it’s more mechanics related but we don’t study so specifically like mechanical engineers. That’s why I have some concerns about what these studies are making me. I don’t really know what I want besides that I like physics and would want to pursue a career in engineering.
What would be the best choice for my master's degree? Would physics fit? I guess I want physics because I'm afraid to choose anything specific like seeking deeper understanding in the same field as my major. But maybe Industrial Engineering + Physics would make lots of nothing. It's like If I worked as a scientist in some lab what good would there be from my IE degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd advice against "I don't want to do anything specific". At some point you'll be looking for jobs. Jobs are very specific. And from experience with a lot of former colleagues, the "in time I will realize what I really want to do"-hope that usually accompanies "I don't want to do anything specific" usually doesn't come true for physicists, not even after a PhD in physics. You can as well make an educated guess of your future path now.

Timo said:
I'd advice against "I don't want to do anything specific". At some point you'll be looking for jobs. Jobs are very specific. And from experience with a lot of former colleagues, the "in time I will realize what I really want to do"-hope that usually accompanies "I don't want to do anything specific" usually doesn't come true for physicists, not even after a PhD in physics. You can as well make an educated guess of your future path now.

Generally speaking, one should simply know what he really wants. The problem is that there are very little people who know that and I'm not one of them. A friend of mine has known what she wants since school and she is naturally motivated about every choice regarding her career path. Another thing is that sometimes people realize what they want or what they don't want after they have graduated. So I guess we can never know even though we still have to make choices and hope for the best. I chose my major optimally based on what is perspective and what I think I like, If I don't find for sure I'll decide on my master the same way.

You can get a job with just a Bachelor's in Industrial Engineering, no? Why not go work first and figure out what you want to do a Master's in later? You'll probably even get a good portion of the cost of the degree covered by the company you work for. You "like physics and want to pursue a career in engineering." Seems like you can get started on that now.

It is great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a master's degree and are considering your options carefully. I would recommend that you first take some time to reflect on your interests and career goals. This will help you determine which master's degree would be the best fit for you.

Based on your background in Industrial Engineering and your interest in physics, you may want to consider a master's degree in Engineering Physics or a similar program that combines both disciplines. This will allow you to deepen your understanding of physics while also building upon your engineering skills. Additionally, this type of program may open up career opportunities in industries such as renewable energy, aerospace, and advanced manufacturing.

Another option could be to pursue a master's degree in Industrial Engineering with a focus on a specific area of interest, such as mechanical engineering or materials science. This would allow you to further specialize in a particular field while still utilizing your background in Industrial Engineering.

Ultimately, the key is to choose a master's degree program that aligns with your interests and career goals. It is important to remember that your undergraduate degree does not limit your options, and you can always gain new skills and knowledge through graduate studies. I would also encourage you to speak with professors and professionals in the fields you are considering to gain a better understanding of the potential career paths and opportunities available to you. Good luck with your decision!

What master's degree should I take?

Choosing a master's degree program can be a daunting task, but here are the top 5 questions that are commonly asked when trying to decide on a program.

1. What are my career goals?

The first step in choosing a master's degree program is to identify your career goals. Consider what type of job you would like to have after graduation and what skills and knowledge are necessary for that role. This will help you narrow down your options and choose a program that aligns with your goals.

2. What are my interests and strengths?

It is important to choose a master's degree program that aligns with your interests and strengths. This will make the coursework more enjoyable and increase your chances of success in the program. Take some time to reflect on your interests and strengths and research programs that align with them.

3. What is the job market like for this degree?

Before committing to a master's degree program, it is important to research the job market for that specific degree. Look at job growth projections, average salaries, and job opportunities in your desired location. This will help you determine if the degree will be worth the investment.

4. What is the curriculum like?

Each master's degree program will have a different curriculum, so it is important to research and compare programs to find one that best fits your needs. Look at the courses offered, the teaching methods used, and any hands-on experience or opportunities for research. This will give you a better understanding of what to expect in the program.

5. What are the admission requirements?

Before applying to a master's degree program, make sure you meet the admission requirements. These may include a minimum GPA, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and work experience. If you do not meet the requirements, consider taking additional courses or gaining relevant experience to strengthen your application.