Proving Convexity of S with f and X

• Thread starter jetoso
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the set S, defined as {x from X: f(x)<=c} for any convex set X and convex function f: X - R, is convex. It is shown that for any two points x and y from X, if a line segment between them is in X, then the image of the line segment is a convex subset of R, and thus both x and y satisfy f(x)<=c, making S convex. It is also mentioned that a convex subset of R can be depicted graphically as a ball or circle.
jetoso
Given a convex set X and a convex function f: X - R, show that for any c from R, the set S={x from X: f(x)<=c} is convex

Any advice about how to prove it?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
jetoso said:
Given a convex set X and a convex function f: X - R, show that for any c from R, the set S={x from X: f(x)<=c}

The set S is ...?

Sorry, the set S is convex.

Convexity

The set X is convex if for any x, y from X, we have that the line segment joining x and y: ax + (1-a)y, also belongs to X, for any scalar a from (0, d], d > 0.

So how many convex subsets of R are there?

No, just prove that S is a convex set, given the definition of S.

Erm, yeah, but it appears obvious. If a and b are in S, then the line segment between them is in X, hence the image of the line segment is a convex subset of R, a and b both satisfy f(a) and f(b) <=c so, I repeat, what does a convex subset of R look like?

EDIT think i have a different notion of a convex function than you. I'm guessing you mean that f is convex if for each a and b and x any point on the line segment a to b then f(x) < = (f(a)+f(b))/2, but that makes it even easier.

Last edited:
Must be like a ball or circle.

Check the edited post

Well, sound like a midpoint of a linesegment

what sounds like a midpoint of what linesegment?

if x is on the line segment from a to be and a and b are in S, then f(x) <= (f(a)+f(b))/2 <= (c+c)/2 = c hence x is S. Thus S is convex.

Oh, I see. But well, how it looks like graphically? Is a line inside of a circle or something?

is what line inside of what circle?

I think I am losing the point here, sorry about that. So, the point here is that, if S is a convex subset of R, and X is a convex subset of R, and for both of them exists a function f, then for any two points x and y from X, they also belong to S such that S = {x from X: f(x)<=c}.
In such a way that:
f(ax+(1-a)y)<=af(x)+(1-a)f(y)
then
<=ac+(1-a)c = c
for which f(x)<=c, this implies that S is convex.
Right? Sorry if I am wasting you time... =S

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of convexity?

Convexity is a mathematical property that describes a function or set as being "curved outwards" or "bowl-shaped". In other words, a convex function or set has no "dents", and any line segment connecting two points on the function or set lies entirely above the function or set's curve.

2. How is convexity related to optimization?

Convexity is important in optimization because it allows us to determine whether a function has a unique global minimum or maximum. If a function is convex, then the global minimum or maximum can be found by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the optimal value.

3. What is the role of f and X in proving convexity of S?

f is the function that we are trying to prove is convex, and X is the set of values that the function takes. We use f and X to calculate the derivative of the function and to determine the curvature of the function at different points, which helps us determine whether the function is convex.

4. What is the process for proving convexity of S with f and X?

To prove convexity of S with f and X, we first calculate the first and second derivatives of the function f. Then, we use these derivatives to determine the curvature of the function at different points in the set X. If the function is convex, then the curvature will always be positive. We also check for any "dents" or breaks in the function, as these would indicate non-convexity. If the function passes these tests, then it is considered convex.

5. Can convexity be proven for any function?

No, not all functions are convex. Some functions are concave, meaning they are "curved inwards" or "bowl-shaped" upside down. Other functions may have a combination of convex and concave sections, making them non-convex. It is important to carefully analyze the curvature and behavior of a function before determining its convexity.