Rubber Bands and Paper Clip

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the difference between stress and force using an experiment involving elastic bands and weights. The main idea is to compare the length of one elastic band suspending a weight to the length of two elastic bands suspending the same weight side by side. This demonstrates that the two elastic bands have twice as much cross sectional area, which relates to the concept that pressure is the amount of force per unit area. The conversation also briefly mentions another experiment to show the difference between strain and deflection, but the person is unsure of how to do this.
BeefyBeef
Hi all. I have a question. How do you show the difference between stress (pressure) and force? We were given 2 short elastic bands, 2 long elastic bands, and 2 paper clips. Idea that came up was to tie one elastic band to 1 weight (anything). Suspend it. And measure length of elastic band. Then take 2 same length elastic bands and tie them both to wait suspending the same weight with the elastic bands side by side. Then measure the length of the elastic bands.

Obviously, the parallel suspension will have shorter length. This goes to show that the two elastic bands have twice as much cross sectional area if you dice the elastic bands than the experiment with only 1 elastic band. I understand that pressure is the amount of force per unit area. However, I don't see how this connects to showing the difference between stress and force? How do I show it? If i can't with this experiment. What other experiment can I do?

And the other experiment is to show the differcence between strain and deflection. This one. I blanked out. Thoughtless. No idea. All I know is that strain is change in length over the original length. Plz Help. Thx.

peace

Engineering news on Phys.org
You seem to understand the concepts, but I'm not sure what you mean by "show" it.

It isn't easy to measure the cross sectional area, but typically there is a direct relationship between length and cross sectional area. Double the length and you cut the cross sectional area in half.

ful_panda, it seems like you are on the right track to understanding the difference between stress and force. Your experiment with the elastic bands and paper clips is a good way to demonstrate the relationship between cross-sectional area and force, which is a key factor in understanding stress.

To further clarify, stress is the force applied per unit area, while force is simply a push or pull on an object. In your experiment, the force is the weight of the object being suspended, while the stress is the force exerted on the elastic band divided by its cross-sectional area.

To show the difference between strain and deflection, you could try a similar experiment using different lengths of elastic bands. By applying the same force to bands of different lengths, you can observe how the longer band will experience more strain (change in length) and therefore more deflection (bending or stretching) than the shorter band.

Another way to demonstrate the difference between strain and deflection is to use a ruler or a spring. By applying a force to the ruler or spring, you can observe the change in length (strain) and the bending or stretching (deflection) that occurs.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts of stress, force, strain, and deflection for you. Keep experimenting and asking questions!

1. What is the purpose of using rubber bands and paper clips together?

Rubber bands and paper clips are commonly used together to hold and organize papers and other items. The rubber band provides elasticity and flexibility, while the paper clip provides stability and grip.

2. Why are rubber bands and paper clips commonly found in offices and schools?

Rubber bands and paper clips are small, inexpensive, and versatile tools that can be used for a variety of tasks such as holding papers, organizing cords, and creating DIY projects. Therefore, they are commonly found in offices and schools.

3. Are rubber bands and paper clips environmentally friendly?

Both rubber bands and paper clips are made from materials that can be recycled, making them environmentally friendly options. However, it is important to properly dispose of them to ensure they are recycled properly.

4. Can rubber bands and paper clips be used for experiments?

Yes, rubber bands and paper clips can be used in various experiments in the fields of physics, engineering, and even biology. They can be used for activities such as creating simple machines, testing elasticity, and studying the behavior of materials.

5. How long do rubber bands and paper clips last?

The lifespan of rubber bands and paper clips depends on how they are used and stored. Generally, rubber bands can last up to 2 years, while paper clips can last indefinitely if they are not bent or damaged.