Particles and antiparticles in compex field

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the creation of particles and antiparticles in a complex scalar field. The conversation references the equation \phi(x)|0\rangle , which is said to only contribute the b^\dagger(p) term, implying the creation of an antiparticle. However, the existence of a particle is also suggested through the use of \phi^\dagger(x) . The original source of this information is unclear and could potentially be inaccurate or using different definitions.
spookyfish
Hi. I am confused about something related to the creation of particles/antiparticles in a complex scalar field.
I read in the literature that [itex] \phi(x)|0\rangle [/itex] describes the creation of a particle at point [itex] x [/itex]. But given that

[tex] \phi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{\sqrt{(2\pi)^3 2E_p}} \left(a(p)e^{-ipx}+b^\dagger (p)e^{ipx}\right) [/tex]

then in [itex] \phi(x)|0\rangle [/itex] only the [itex] b^\dagger(p) [/itex] term contributes, i.e.

[tex] \phi(x)|0\rangle= \int \frac{d^3 p}{\sqrt{(2\pi)^3 2E_p}}e^{ipx} b^\dagger(p)|0\rangle [/tex]

from which it seems that an anti-particle (created by [itex] b^\dagger(p) [/itex]) is created at [itex] x [/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't have the original text that you read around to nitpick, but if ##\phi(x)## creates the antiparticle, then ##\phi^\dagger(x)## creates the particle. The original reference could have been

1. sloppy
2. using a different definition of particle vs antiparticle
3. referring to a real scalar field

etc. We simply can't be sure without knowing precisely what you read and the context in which the author stated that.

Thanks. In fact, my problem was with something I read in the internet related to the literature, and I think it was simply wrong, so the definitions I wrote above work.

1. What are particles and antiparticles in complex fields?

Particles and antiparticles are fundamental units of matter that make up the universe. In a complex field, these particles and antiparticles are described as excitations of the field, which is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. How are particles and antiparticles related?

Particles and antiparticles are related by a concept called charge conjugation. This means that for every particle with a certain charge, there is an antiparticle with the opposite charge. For example, an electron has a negative charge, while its antiparticle, the positron, has a positive charge.

3. What is the difference between particles and antiparticles?

The main difference between particles and antiparticles is their charge. While particles have a positive, negative, or neutral charge, antiparticles have the opposite charge. They also have opposite quantum numbers, such as spin and baryon number, which determine their properties and interactions.

4. Can particles and antiparticles interact with each other?

Yes, particles and antiparticles can interact with each other through a process called annihilation. When a particle and its corresponding antiparticle come into contact, they can annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of photons. This process is commonly used in particle accelerators to study the properties of particles and antiparticles.

5. How are particles and antiparticles created?

Particles and antiparticles can be created through various processes, such as pair production and particle collisions. In pair production, a particle and its corresponding antiparticle are created from a high-energy photon. In particle collisions, the energy of the collision can be converted into mass, creating particles and antiparticles.