Centre of mass energy in the p+p collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the center of mass energy for a collision between two protons at 158 GeV/c beam momentum. The experts suggest using 4-vectors and provide two different formulas for calculating the energy. The final conclusion is that the energy can be found by setting up the four vectors of the resting and moving protons.
Wenchao.Zhang
Hi, experts
I got a very naive question.
I read the following sentence in a paper: "New results on the production of charged pions in p+p interactions are presented. The data come from a sample of 4.8 million inelastic events obtained with the NA49 detector at the CERN SPS at 158 GeV/c beam momentum". (see the abstract of DOI:10.1140/epjc/s2005-02391-9)
Then it says that the the centre of mass energy is 17.3 GeV. It is really hard for me to get this conclusion. Could sb. gives me some hint?
Best wishes
W.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a collision between two particles of equal mass M, the relationship is s = Ecm2 = 2M2 + 2M Elab where s is the usual Lorentz invariant.

So M = 1 GeV and Elab = 158 GeV gives you Ecm = √318 = 17.8 GeV

That's a beam target collision I suppose. Try using 4-vectos. I get the formula [itex]E_{CM}=\sqrt{2m(E_L+m)},[/itex] where ECM is the center of mass energy, EL is the Energy of the incoming proton in the LAB reference frame, and m is the mass of the proton.

dauto said:
That's a beam target collision I suppose. Try using 4-vectos. I get the formula [itex]E_{CM}=\sqrt{2m(E_L+m)},[/itex] where ECM is the center of mass energy, EL is the Energy of the incoming proton in the LAB reference frame, and m is the mass of the proton.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :wink:

Thanks for the replies. I think I got the answer. Say the four vector of the incoming proton in the lab frame is p1=(E_lab,0,0, p_z), the four vector for the rest proton is p2=(M,0,0,0), then s should be equal to (E_lab+M)^2-(p_z)^2=2M^2+2E_lab*M. Thanks a lot.

What is the centre of mass energy in a p+p collision?

The centre of mass energy in a p+p collision refers to the total energy of the particles involved in the collision, as measured in the frame of reference where the particles have equal and opposite momenta.

Why is the centre of mass energy important in p+p collisions?

The centre of mass energy is important in p+p collisions because it determines the maximum energy available for creating new particles during the collision. This energy is responsible for the creation of new particles and can provide insight into the fundamental properties of matter.

How is the centre of mass energy calculated in p+p collisions?

The centre of mass energy in p+p collisions is calculated by taking the sum of the rest mass energies of the particles involved and adding the kinetic energy of the particles in the frame of reference where they have equal and opposite momenta.

What is the relationship between the centre of mass energy and the collision energy in p+p collisions?

The centre of mass energy and collision energy in p+p collisions are directly related. The collision energy is equal to the centre of mass energy when the particles involved have equal and opposite momenta in the frame of reference where the collision is observed.

How does the centre of mass energy affect the outcome of p+p collisions?

The centre of mass energy plays a crucial role in the outcome of p+p collisions. Higher centre of mass energy leads to the creation of more massive particles and can even lead to the production of new particles that are not present in the initial particles. It also affects the likelihood of certain types of particle interactions and can provide information about the structure of the particles involved.