What is the recipe for My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo contains onion, butter, flour, chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, shrimp, crab meat, oysters, and gumbo file powder. It takes one hour to prepare and has a chocolate glaze.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo

1 med. onion, diced
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of flour
6 cups of chicken broth
1 can (around 1lb) of HUNTS tomatoes, crushed (if you don't use Hunts, it may not taste as good)
salt & pepper
3 tsps minced parsley
1/4 tsp thyme
1 clove garlic
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and devained)
1 lb crab meat (use the good stuff folks and DO NOT SUBSTITUTE SURIMI)
12 oz oysters (if you can't stand oyters, omit, or at least use some of the oyster liquor for flavor)
1 1/4 tsp gumbo file powder

In a deep saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion until it is limp, but not browned. Stir in the flour, then slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.

Then add the tomatoes, parsley, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and salt & pepper to taste. Cover the pan and simmer for one hour.

Meanwhile, pick over the crabmeat to make sure all shell and cartilage are removed.

Ten minutes before serving, add the file powder, shrimp, crab and oysters, stir well & bring back to a simmer and simmer for ten minutes. Serve immediately over hot, buttered white rice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dark chocolate lovers, this is a MUST!

Hershey's Fudgey Chocolate Torte

¾ cup Butter/margarine
6 tbs Hershey's cocoa
1 cup Divided sugar
⅔ cup Ground blanched almonds
2 tbs Flour
3 eggs, separated
2 tbs Water

Chocolate Glaze
2 tbs Butter/margarine
2 tbs Hershey's cocoa
2 tbs Water
½ tsp Vanilla
1 cup Confectioners' sugar

Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in Hershey's cocoa and 3/4 cup sugar, blend until smooth. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Blend in almonds and flour. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in water. In medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating just until soft peaks form. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, blending thoroughly. Pour into greased and floured 9 inch layer pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean. (Cake will settle slightly.) Remove from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely. Invert cake onto serving plate. Spread top and sides with chocolate glaze. Garnish as desired. 8-10 servings

CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Melt 2 tablespoon butter or stick margarine in small saucepan over low heat. Add 2 tablespoon Hershey's cocoa and 2 tablespoon water; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add 1 cup confectioners' sugar, beating with whisk until smooth.

Have you invented these recipes??

heman said:
Have you invented these recipes??
My dad perfected the gumbo recipe. He was always making soups and stews. I don't remember him ever eating anything that wasn't poured into a bowl. :bugeye:

The torte recipe is from Hershey's cocoa.

Evo said:
My dad perfected the gumbo recipe. He was always making soups and stews. I don't remember him ever eating anything that wasn't poured into a bowl. :bugeye:

The torte recipe is from Hershey's cocoa.

You do know you are killing us, i hope, i think i will have to hunt you down and stop your reign of foody torture, so from now on beware of, "THE MAN WITH
THE RUMBLING TUMMY". :devil:

I found this online and cooked it for my parents, it went down a treat;

Chicken, Lime and Cashew Nut Stir-Fry

Ingredients

250g/9oz chicken strips
180g/6oz fine egg noodles, cooked as per instructions on the packet and left to cool
2 tbsp/30ml/1fl oz clear honey
4tbsp/60ml/2fl oz groundnut or corn oil
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 clove garlic
3 spring onions
½ red chilli
1 small carrot
½ red pepper
1 head of pak choi
4tbsp/60ml/2fl oz dark soy sauce
2 tbsp/30ml/1fl oz toasted sesame oil
1 lime, zest and juice
bunch fresh coriander, with roots
50g/2oz unsalted, toasted cashew nuts

Method
1. Firstly, prepare all the ingredients.
2. Heat a large wok to a high heat. Add a little of the groundnut/corn oil and once the fat is smoking hot add the chicken. Seal the meat and when it is half cooked, add the honey and continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked and a rich golden colour. Remove from the wok and set to one side while you cook the remainder of the dish.
3. Add the remaining groundnut/corn oil to the re-heated wok and fry off the garlic, ginger and chilli for about 20 seconds. Add the vegetables, keeping the heat high, and moving them from the centre to the sides of the wok so that they stir fry evenly.
4. Add the pre-cooked noodles and saute for a minute or so before returning the chicken to the pan.
5. Mix well, add the chopped coriander, adjust the seasoning - adding soy sauce sesame oil and the lime zest and juice.
6. Serve with a scattering of cashews over the top.

Peanut butter - marshmallow squares!

Just like ordinary marshmallow squares, but you also mix in 10 oz. of peanut-butter chips to the marshmallows, and blend that in before you add the cereal.

(Same amount of peanut-butter chips as marshmallow, I believe. 10 oz peanut-butter to every 40 large marshmallows anyways)

Awfully yummy, but hard to stir. :frown:

Okay, it's not much, but I'm still proud of it! o:)

Hurkyl said:
Peanut butter - marshmallow squares!

Just like ordinary marshmallow squares, but you also mix in 10 oz. of peanut-butter chips to the marshmallows, and blend that in before you add the cereal.

(Same amount of peanut-butter chips as marshmallow, I believe. 10 oz peanut-butter to every 40 large marshmallows anyways)

Awfully yummy, but hard to stir. :frown:

Okay, it's not much, but I'm still proud of it! o:)
Some of the simplest things are the best. :approve:

zanazzi, that sounds yummy!

Brewnog's Chicken Enchiladas:

2 large onions
4 chicken breasts, chopped into 1/2" cubes
1tbsp sunflower oil
1tsp chilli powder
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped

500g grated mature Cheddar cheese

2 tins chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken stock (boiling water with Oxo, Worcestershire sauce, Henderson's etc, anthing will do)

8 flour tortillas

Fry chicken in oil. When golden brown, add all spices, and fry until everything starts to smoke slightly. Add tomatoes and stock, and boil down to some kind of nice thick(ish) gloop. Simmer for as long as you can. Add more water/stock if needs be. Add half the cheese, stir until it's nice and thick. This is the scary bit, most people think it'll catch. It doesn't, it's amazing. It should also smell lovely by this stage. Simmer for a short while on a low heat. Stir like a man posessed.

Fill each tortilla with the chickeney mix. Fold over, and place in a greased baking dish, fold-side-down. Cover the rest with the remaining sauce, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a medium (Gas 6?) oven.

Mmmmmmmm!

Evo said:
Some of the simplest things are the best. :approve:

zanazzi, that sounds yummy!

It was the first time i realized just how great a combo, lime and corriander are together !

For a short period after everything had lime and corriander added to it,with a lot of dissaterous results :yuck: But one of the few things that did turn out very well (if i do say so my self :approve: ) was also one of the simplest, Lime and corriander Burgers. Now, if any of my friends are having a BBQ i get an order for them.

Brewy, i love enchiladas but i`ve never tried to make them form scratch! Guess what`s for tea tomorrow! :biggrin:

Last edited:
zanazzi78 said:
Brewy, i love enchiladas but i`ve never tried to make them form scratch! Guess what`s for tea tomorrow! :biggrin:

Do it!

Don't be afraid to go overboard on the tinned tomatoes, just simmer it for longer! The longer the better.

Served best with a monster salad, and perhaps some nachos with home made guacamole and salsa, and some sour cream. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :smile:

Oh, and crack open a really nice Italian Chianti, if you get the chance.

brewnog said:
Brewnog's Chicken Enchiladas:

2 tins chopped tomatoes
How much does a tin of chopped tomatoes weigh? This sounds good.

I can't find my favorite cookbook now, it's not where I always keep it! :devil: It has my Canadian beer-cheese soup recipe in it! :cry:

brewnog said:
Do it!

Oh, and crack open a really nice Italian Chianti, if you get the chance.

Not a big fan of chianti but I do have a 1996 Poulliy Fume in the fridge which is begging me to drink it!

I`m not one of these people who sticks to the formal; red wine with red meat, white wine with fish etc. If it tasted good drink it!

zanazzi78 said:
Not a big fan of chianti but I do have a 1996 Poulliy Fume in the fridge which is begging me to drink it!

I`m not one of these people who sticks to the formal; red wine with red meat, white wine with fish etc. If it tasted good drink it!

Good for you. Had a lovely glass (ahem) of Torres Paradella with beef casserole tonight! It doesn't look a good combination on paper, but it was gorgeous together.

Evo said:
How much does a tin of chopped tomatoes weigh? This sounds good.

I can't find my favorite cookbook now, it's not where I always keep it! :devil: It has my Canadian beer-cheese soup recipe in it! :cry:

500g for a tin, I think. The more the merrier!

Find that recipe for beer-cheese-soup, now. It sounds perfect! (No, seriously, find it NOW!) Arggghhhhh!

Beer? Yum!
Cheese? Wahoo!
Soup? Liquid meal? Bring it on!

I'm looking forward to this.

brewnog said:
Find that recipe for beer-cheese-soup, now. It sounds perfect! (No, seriously, find it NOW!) Arggghhhhh!

Beer? Yum!
Cheese? Wahoo!
Soup? Liquid meal? Bring it on!

I'm looking forward to this.
It's REALLY GOOD!

Aaaagh! It's no where to be found! :cry: If a certain dog ate it and a certain daughter disposed of the evidence, I am going to be really upset!

Evo said:
It's REALLY GOOD!

Aaaagh! It's no where to be found! :cry: If a certain dog ate it and a certain daughter disposed of the evidence, I am going to be really upset!

*Drooooool...*

I want cheesy beery soup NOWWWW!

Just make something up so that I don't get too cross.

This is similar to what it was.

BEER AND CHEESE SOUP
====================

Ingredients:
------------
1/2 to 1 cup diced onions
1/2 to 1 cup diced celery
1/2 to 1 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp dry mustard
5 cups chicken stock
11 fl oz beer (use a can or bottle and save a swallow for the cook!)
6 oz cheddar cheese, grated

salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
-------------
Saute the diced vegetables in butter.

Mix flour and mustard into sauteed vegetables (use amount of vegetables you desire). Add the chicken stock to mixture and cook for 15 minutes. Add beer and cheese to the soup, stirring until smooth. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Check seasonings. Eat.

Evo.
Why do all recipes use chicken stock, can it be substituted with vegetable
stock

Yummy recipes (amounts are approximate):

Chicken tomato/yoghurt curry

Fry 3 onions until they are brown, add 3 tomatoes, add cinnamon stick, 2 cardomom pods, 4 peppercorns, cumin seeds, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, garam masala, chilli powder and salt (about 1tsp each). Stir fry for a few minutes. Add chicken pieces, stir fry until all the spices have covered the chicken. Add 2 tbsp natural plain yoghurt, lower heat and cover pan. Cook for about 15 minutes. At the end add 4 tbsp lemon juice and fresh coriander.

Chicken in cashew nut curry

First make a spice mix in a blender: 2 onions, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1/3 cup cashey nuts, 1.5 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp garlic pulp, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp natural plain yoghurt. Fry spice mix, add 1 tbsp golden raisins, chicken, 2.5 cup mushrooms. Add 1.25 cup water and simmer for about 10 minutes. At the end add fresh coriander.

I'll be making beer and cheese soup before the week's out! Woo!

wolram said:
stock

Yes, yes it can.

What sort of flour and beer, please

wolram said:
Evo.
stock
If you wish, I wouldn't substitute the chicken stock in the gumbo though, it will ruin the flavor.

wolram said:
What sort of flour and beer, please
Do you have "all purpose flour"? Any type of beer that you like, preferably something not too strong or bitter since it's a soup.

Last edited:
wolram said:
Evo.
stock

One of my favorite substitutions for chicken stock is simply a bunch of dried mushrooms, rehydrated in water/wine. Heat the liquid, add the dried fungi and let it sit. You'll get an earthy, rich, brown liquid plus some nicely plumped mushrooms to add to the recipe. It think it would work well with the beer/cheese soup to make it vegetarian, if that's your game. I wounldn;t try it with every recipe, sometimes you can't nix the chicken/beef stock, it just doesn't work.

By Evo Do you have "all purpose flour"? Any type of beer that you like, preferably something not too strong or bitter since it's a soup

I will look out for APF in the super market, My major problem is where to store
the mountain of spices, we only have a tiny kitchen, could they be stored in an
out house, and keep ok ?

wolram said:
I will look out for APF in the super market, My major problem is where to store
the mountain of spices, we only have a tiny kitchen, could they be stored in an
out house, and keep ok ?
I would only buy the common spices you use often and wait until you are ready to actually cook a meal that calls for a spice you don't normally use. If you buy everything at once, the herb could go bad before you get a chance to use it.

Any dry space without direct sunlight will work to store them as long as you have them in chew proof, airtight containers.

I store my spices in little sealed bottles like this one http://images.speurders.nl/images/64/6452/6452784_1_detail.jpg is there a possibility that you can install a board onto which you can put your spices? Otherwise follow Evo's advice and buy a few key spices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Evo, I am making beer and cheese soup may be thursday :biggrin:

I'll make it on thursday too! We can compare notes. I'm going to try self-raising flour, Black Sheep beer, and Elsenham Tewkesbury mustard with horseradish.

wolram said:
Thanks Evo, I am making beer and cheese soup may be thursday :biggrin:
I need to make some now too.

Warning - dry mustard powder cannot be replaced with prepared mustard, they do not taste the same. I keep forgetting that some people here are new to cooking.

Monique said:
I store my spices in little sealed bottles like this one http://images.speurders.nl/images/64/6452/6452784_1_detail.jpg is there a possibility that you can install a board onto which you can put your spices? Otherwise follow Evo's advice and buy a few key spices.

Thanks Monique, sealed bottles in the out house is the only way
:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog said:
and Elsenham Tewkesbury mustard with horseradish.
In this case I take back my mustard statement, that actually might be yummy.

Just do not use that awful american yellow mustard. :yuck:

Mustard powder adds a very subtle flavor to dishes.

Evo said:
I need to make some now too.

Warning - dry mustard powder cannot be replaced with prepared mustard, they do not taste the same. I keep forgetting that some people here are new to cooking.

Prepared mustard, what sort? good job you said, around my way this is fancy
cooking, totally unheard of, just wait till the peasants get a smell :biggrin:

wolram said:
Prepared mustard, what sort? good job you said, around my way this is fancy
cooking, totally unheard of, just wait till the peasants get a smell :biggrin:
Do not use prepared mustard, this recipe calls for "dry mustard powder".

Brewnog's idea might be tasty though.

As an aside, what kind of mustards do you get in the US? My preconception is that it's all squeezy stuff that comes in bottles to put on hot-dogs. :smile:

:yuck: Yes, we do have that yellow squeezy stuff that children put on hot dogs, but you can get plenty of real mustard if you just look a shelf higher at the grocery store. You can get spicy brown mustard, or dijon, or coarse ground, or any assortment of other "fancy" mustards. Most people just ignore them and grab the yellow stuff. :yuck: