What Are the Best Browsers for Web Surfing?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Firefox is a good browser, but it isn't the best. Opera is also a good browser, but it isn't the best. Internet Explorer is the best browser.

What browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Netscape

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Mozilla

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Firebird

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Safari

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Opera

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Konqueror

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galeon

• Camino

• Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
What browser do you use?

I primarily use Firebird and occasionally use IE for specific things.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Mozilla under linux and Opera under winxp.

I like use Opera. Also use Internet Explorer.

I use Firebird on my Solaris 8 workstation and Mozilla on W2K box.

avant

I use safari for my mac, but i used to use Camino, and if development picks up again, i will certainly consider going back.

at school, on linux, i use Firebird. i used to use Konqueror, but no longer.

Mostly Firebird. (Occasionally IE if I have to use Windows for something.)

I always use Internet Explorer. It's just what I'm accustomed to. I really haven't considered using any other Browser since I got Windows XP. When I had Windows 98 I had tried both Netscape and Mozilla, but ultimately, Internet Explorer won out since I had a little hard drive back then (2 GB) and there was no way to uninstall IE. Besides, I don't really need anything too fancy from a browser. I don't need too much functionality. All I need is support for all of the popular scripts (Java, Active-X, Flash, etc.) to view the website. For me it doesn't matter the browser as much as the website that I'm viewing. In fact, the less of the browser there is the better. This is another reason why Netscape and Mozilla failed. The navigation buttons are much too big. I prefer to have as much space as possible to view the pages and as little space as possible being taken up by the toolbars. I used to use Internet Explorer in Full Screen but I don't do that anymore because I'm on a higher resolution. Regardless, I still don't like the toolbars to take up too much space.

Anyway, point is Internet Explorer for me.

Opera.

Mozilla on occasion.

IE isn't allowed to go through my firewall. :)

Originally posted by 512kCrasher
In fact, the less of the browser there is the better.

yeah, why should we have options to choose from? Let's all switch to Windoze...

This is another reason why Netscape and Mozilla failed. The navigation buttons are much too big. I prefer to have as much space as possible to view the pages and as little space as possible being taken up by the toolbars. I used to use Internet Explorer in Full Screen but I don't do that anymore because I'm on a higher resolution. Regardless, I still don't like the toolbars to take up too much space.

did you look at the pool results. they didn't fail
Alos there are settings in Mozilla to repair that...

Opera still rulz

Originally posted by Hurkyl

I wanted to do that, but my wife didn't let me She still uses the damn program...

Last edited:
When I said that Netscape and Mozilla failed. I meant that they failed for me. Not in the poll. Sorry if that was misleading though...

Originally posted by Hurkyl

how does your firewall know the difference between IE http transfers and other http transfers... i wouldn t think they would be distinguishable...

Originally posted by 512kCrasher
Regardless, I still don't like the toolbars to take up too much space.

Anyway, point is Internet Explorer for me.
you should give Firebird a try. let me tell you some reasons:

1. the toolbars are (are can be made), very small, and are otherwise customizable, unlike IE.

2. unlike Mozilla, which was a huge bloated monster, a long download which included a browser, a mail client, an html editor, a chat client, and a calendar app, Firebird is just a browser, and a small and fast one, at that.

3. say good by to popup advertisements. you can install third party apps that can give IE this ability, but Firebird has this built-in to the browser.

4. tabbed browsing. give it a try (maybe you remember and liked this from your days with Mozilla or Netscape?). since i have learned to rely on this feature, i can t use a browser without it.

5. type-ahead find. for navigating websites without your mouse. the less i use my mouse, the faster i am, or at least the faster i feel like i am.

6. don t you hate how when you use "back" or "forward", IE forgets everything that was in your text fields? Firebird does not do this.

7. Firebird has supports web standards, instead of trying to further the goals of a monopoly, goals which include taking control of and closing the protocols of the internet, an open network invented by scientists to be open for all developers.

so give it a try. i think you will like it.

Originally posted by lethe
how does your firewall know the difference between IE http transfers and other http transfers... i wouldn t think they would be distinguishable...

Maybe the firewall can detect user agents? But even then there are programs to mask and spoof user agents.

How it does it I don't know, but all regulation is done on a program by program basis.

What browser do you use?

As a scientist, I use various browsers depending on the task at hand. These include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.

Why do you use multiple browsers?

Each browser has its own strengths and weaknesses, so I use different ones depending on the specific needs of my research. For example, Chrome is known for its speed and compatibility with Google products, while Firefox has a strong focus on privacy and security.

Which browser is the best for scientific research?

There is no single "best" browser for scientific research as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the research. However, many scientists prefer using Firefox or Chrome due to their customizable features and wide range of extensions for research purposes.

Can different browsers affect the outcome of research?

In most cases, the browser itself does not affect the outcome of research. However, certain websites or tools may have different levels of compatibility with different browsers, so it is important to choose the right browser for the task at hand.

How do you determine which browser to use for a specific task?

Before starting a research task, I consider the compatibility of the website or tool I will be using with different browsers. I also take into account the features and extensions that each browser offers and choose the one that best suits the needs of the task.