Basic Hydraulics: Flow, Pressure, Force, Area, Energy

by thender
Tags: basic, energy, flow, fluid power, force, hydraulics, pressure
thender
Nov18-13, 09:47 PM
P: 20
Hello, I am trying to get a grip on the basic relationships in hydraulics. I do not need the advanced math and engineering, compensation for frictional losses, and fluid viscosity and turbulence effects. Just a good basic understanding.

The first concept that comes to mind is the concept of energy, I believe the total energy in a system is the sum of the potential and kinetic energies. And that energy within a system is the conserved property. Like the amount of work that can be done, has been done, and is being done if added up should always be the same in a closed system.

Another concept is Pressure. I believe that pressure describes force distributed by a fluid over an area. Force is something that can be measured for a fixed area. Like if I have 100 PSI and apply it to something with .5 square inches, it generates 50 pounds of Force.

I consider flow to be the mass of a fluid per unit time that moves past a point. I think that's the volumetric flow rate.

A related concept is the velocity of the flow.

Flow seems to be related to the pressure differential between two points.

And by this point I've lost my grip.

Using a basic example, if I open the faucet outside and let water flow out of a garden hose, it will come out steadily, if I then restrict the hose by placing my thumb over the end, the water gushes out violently.

I don't believe that restricting the hose with my thumb changes the total energy in the system.

I think that the water sprays out farther because its force increased, and its force increased because the same pressure was applied to a smaller area.

Flow probably decreased. If I compare a faucet that is only slightly cracked open, it will just drip, compared to one fully open that is gushing, I think the flow is inversely related to the restriction.

I'm lost.

In the same system I can have high pressure, low flow output, or high flow, low pressure output. So I think flow * pressure = power (conserved).

And I think flow is proportional to the difference in pressures and the area. A higher pressure differential should result in more flow for an orifice of the same area. And a larger orifice should increase flow. So flow = pressure1 / pressure2 * area.

Thus putting my finger over the end of a garden hose reduces the effective area the pressure differential is applied across, which reduces the flow, and increases the pressure, result - spraying water ten feet.

HELP! I need basic working theory!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
pantaz
Nov19-13, 04:00 PM
P: 586
This might help: http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/eboo...d-power-basics
The writing is tailored more towards industrial users, but it should answer many of your questions.
Travis_King
Nov19-13, 05:26 PM
P: 765
Mass of the fluid per unit time is mass flow rate. Volume of the fluid per unit time is the volumetric flowrate.

I wrote a post in another thread a while back which might help a little, too. http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=674896

Register to reply