Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby (6/2-6/09)

In summary, the Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby! (6/2-6/09) is open to digital photos of baby animals. You may resize your photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels, but other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes. You may submit one photo per member per contest. The voting will be done in multiple threads and the photos will be ordered according to when they were submitted.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby! (6/2-6/09)

Ooh, baby, baby!

Spring has sprung and baby animals are everywhere! This week's contest is - Baby Animals. Your picture must have, as it's main subject - baby animals, not humans.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it okay if they're not wild baby animals?

http://www.virtualcivilization.org/piggle2-small.jpg [Broken]

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo hoo! I definitely have a picture for this one. I went out this spring and got some pictures of the little lambs. Now, as soon as I can get imageshack to upload the dang photo. :grumpy: (Is it just me, or is that site getting really slow lately?)

Here we go!
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1680/babiestr1.jpg [Broken]
The ones with speckled faces are always my favorites. :approve:

(Ooh, Chroot's baby guinea pig is so cute too! Awwwwww.)

chroot said:
Is it okay if they're not wild baby animals?

http://www.virtualcivilization.org/piggle2-small.jpg [Broken]

- Warren
Awwww, so cute! Yes, any baby animal will do.

I see with Moonbear's entry there is going to be a very high cuteness factor in the contest.

Evo said:
I see with Moonbear's entry there is going to be a very high cuteness factor in the contest.

Did you expect anything else when the theme is baby animals? :biggrin:

awww is that a guinea pig? I love guinea pigs! most underrated pet ever. I miss my Pepe :frown: .

this is my cat Alfred when we got it 3 months ago, his tongue is sticking out :tongue:

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/14947/2002676786493424853_rs.jpg

moe darklight said:
awww is that a guinea pig? I love guinea pigs! most underrated pet ever. I miss my Pepe :frown:

Totally! I used to think guinea pigs were just big hamsters, but they're so interactive and so expressive (they make ten or twelve distinct sounds, all cute of course) that I'm totally in love with them. They're probably more similar to cats than to hamsters, in terms of behavior.

That little guy is Biscotti, when he was about two months old. I'm sorry to hear about your Pepe, too... but your kitty looks adorable!

- Warren

haha yours looks like it found paradise with all the food in front of him. Yea, guinea pigs know what's going on; mine would always hide in its little cave when someone who wasn't me or my parents visited.

moe darklight said:
haha yours looks like it found paradise with all the food in front of him.

:rofl: I was noticing the giant salad bar too. :biggrin: I think that guinea pig is getting fed better than I am!

Oh, and I totally agree, guinea pigs are fantastic, interactive pets! I had them as a kid...my first experiments in breeding animals were with guinea pigs (my mom might have prevented that had she taken time to explain to a 5 year old that the boy and girl guinea pig weren't just playing when I put them in the same cage :biggrin:). We started with two, and then went up to 5, gave away one because he didn't get along with his brother and was just generally mean, so finally wound up with 4. We had Muppet and Moppet (long-haired guinea pig that looked like a big mop to me) who were later Mama and Papa, both of which were black and white, then Ding (an orange and black female), Spooky (all black with a white spot on his nose), and Cocoa (the one we gave away...he was solid brown...incidentally, I wanted to name him Dong so I could have Ding and Dong, but for some reason, mom wouldn't let me :rolleyes: :uhh: o:) ). Spooky was everyone's favorite because he was just the most loveable of the bunch, but they each had their own personalities. I'm not sure a guinea pig and a cat would do well together though. :rolleyes: Otherwise, it would be fun to have a guinea pig again.

Moonbear said:
Spooky
I had a fish named Spooky :smile:

This is a really old photo (30+ yrs). These are some of the 14 pup litter our Irish Setter had. The photo was taken with a 110 Instamatic and printed on a satin finish paper, so I'm afraid that the quality is not that great.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pups.jpg [Broken]

NeoDevin said:
That's not fair, What if I put up one of him wearing some sort of animal suit?

Would that work?
Ok, enough joking. You've got really cute pictures of him in your thread. :smile:

My wife yelled at me for posting him in the baby animals thread :rofl:

NeoDevin said:
My wife yelled at me for posting him in the baby animals thread :rofl:

You're lucky that's all she did. If I were her, I would have clobbered you instead. And no jury would convict me of spousal abuse after I tell them why.

Zz.

My baby can crush your baby!

IMG_7210.jpg

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You're lucky that's all she did. If I were her, I would have clobbered you instead. And no jury would convict me of spousal abuse after I tell them why.

Zz.
What a terrible insult to the baby animals. Just because they may be specialized to catching insects, eating earthworms, or nibbling on greenery does not make them less deserving of life than the offspring of those of us who prize our intellect. I am a human and I love my human family and my human friends, but I value our animal friends very highly. I have told my wife many times that if our state ever allows public disposals of bodies, she has (or our friends) have to drag my bones out into the woods so that the wild animals can eat me. I have eaten them all my life, and they deserve the pay-back.

Oy vey! That was a JOKE!

Zz.

Sorry, but the part about disposing my body in the wild is heart-attack certain. No joke. We owe a debt to the creatures that sustain us. I have a hard time justifying the feed-lot treatment of the animals that are processed to feed us.

turbo-1 said:
Sorry, but the part about disposing my body in the wild is heart-attack certain. No joke. We owe a debt to the creatures that sustain us. I have a hard time justifying the feed-lot treatment of the animals that are processed to feed us.

I replied to your quotation of what *I* said, not what you said.

Zz.

I have a picture of one of the new kittens I found, but I took it on the Child of Evo's cell phone and I am still waiting for her to e-mail it to me. :devil:

Last edited:
Since I dropped the ball on the flower's contest, I will allow pictures until tomorrow.

Here is one of this year's crop of squirrels - born in the woodpile in the cellar under our garage. There are three of them and they are getting fat on the sunflower seeds that the goldfinches throw away (about half of what they take from the feeders). The babies are getting pretty tame and will let us get within a couple of feet.

babysquirrel.jpg

Last edited:
Evo said:
Since I dropped the ball on the flower's contest, I will allow pictures until tomorrow.

Or is this just so you can have more time to get your kitten picture in? :devil:

- Warren

turbo-1 said:
Here is one of this year's crop of squirrels - born in the woodpile in the cellar under our garage. There are three of them and they are getting fat on the sunflower seeds that the goldfinches throw away (about half of what they take from the feeders). The babies are getting pretty tame and will let us get within a couple of feet.

I'll save Evo the trouble: this picture is too big, and needs to be resized to meet the rules.

- Warren

chroot said:
I'll save Evo the trouble: this picture is too big, and needs to be resized to meet the rules.

- Warren
All fixed!

Last edited:
chroot said:
Or is this just so you can have more time to get your kitten picture in? :devil:

- Warren
:devil: :grumpy: :redface: Why, of course not! :uhh:

Ooh, baby squirrels are so cute too! This is going to be a killer competition for choosing just one to vote for. :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
Ooh, baby squirrels are so cute too! This is going to be a killer competition for choosing just one to vote for. :grumpy:
I have quite a few pictures of this one. He was ready to race up the steps to our back deck and saw me sitting at the top of the stairs (I had my camera out to try to get hummingbird pictures) and he ran back down and perched on a landscape timber to scold me for using "his" deck. I selected this picture mostly because he had that petulant lower-lip thing going. Even baby red squirrels have attitude!

Moonbear said:
Woo hoo! I definitely have a picture for this one. I went out this spring and got some pictures of the little lambs. Now, as soon as I can get imageshack to upload the dang photo. :grumpy: (Is it just me, or is that site getting really slow lately?)
Imageshack is getting really slow on the uploading end. They derive income from the ads that you get on the upload page. The cynical side of me says that the more times they can make you reload that page, the more ad-views are registered and the more they make. I have gone over to Photobucket. Very reliable and fast, with no "connection reset" errors.

turbo-1 said:

What a cutie!

Here is the kitten I named Little Bear. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a home for him and he will be put to sleep next week. :cry: :cry:

kittenbp9.jpg

This is a picture of one of two baby squirrel monkeys at the Oakland zoo. They hold onto their mothers' back for months until they can start fending for themselves.

babysquirrelmonkey.jpg

Last edited:
Another after the wire, omg, is it already that late entry.

Meet GAlinda.

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Photo_contest/HPIM1135a.JPG [Broken]

Evo, what happened? No poll??

turbo-1 said:
Evo, what happened? No poll??
I can't do it at work and I've been on dial up at home because I needed a new DSL splitter. I might be back in business tonight.

<h2>1. What is the theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby"?</h2><p>The theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is babies and young children.</p><h2>2. When is the submission deadline for the contest?</h2><p>The submission deadline for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is June 9th.</p><h2>3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?</h2><p>You can submit up to 3 photos for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby".</p><h2>4. Who can participate in the contest?</h2><p>The "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is open to anyone who loves photography and has a passion for capturing the beauty of babies and young children.</p><h2>5. How will the winners be chosen for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby"?</h2><p>The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The judges' decision is final.</p>

1. What is the theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby"?

The theme of the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is babies and young children.

2. When is the submission deadline for the contest?

The submission deadline for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is June 9th.

3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?

You can submit up to 3 photos for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby".

4. Who can participate in the contest?

The "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby" is open to anyone who loves photography and has a passion for capturing the beauty of babies and young children.

5. How will the winners be chosen for the "Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby"?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme. The judges' decision is final.