Can Entropy Be Reversed?: A Reflection on Isaac Asimov's 50-Year-Old Story

• Thread starter chronie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy, with Isaac Asimov's story from 50 years ago providing a perspective on the future of Earth and the universe. The question arises of whether entropy can be decreased or reversed, with no known mathematical evidence supporting this idea. Brian Greene's book "Fabric of the Cosmos" is mentioned as a source for more information on the topic. The conversation ends with the belief that reversing entropy is not possible.
chronie
Isaac Asimov wrote a story 50 years ago about entropy

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

I believe this puts in perspective the actual state of Earth and the universe in the future. But do you believe that entropy can be decreased. As if right now I am unaware of any math backing that it can be reversed but what is your opinion?

Science news on Phys.org
chronie said:
Isaac Asimov wrote a story 50 years ago about entropy

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

I believe this puts in perspective the actual state of Earth and the universe in the future. But do you believe that entropy can be decreased. As if right now I am unaware of any math backing that it can be reversed but what is your opinion?

Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos has a good discussion of this.

I have heard of him never read any of his books but probably should. I am going to do a report on entropy and is there any theories on how it can be reversed. Personally I do not think it is possible.

What is Isaac Asimov's connection to entropy?

Isaac Asimov was a renowned science fiction writer who was also a professor of biochemistry. He is best known for his contributions to the understanding of entropy through his famous essay "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline".

What is entropy in science?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is often used to describe the direction of energy flow and the progression of natural processes.

How did Isaac Asimov contribute to the understanding of entropy?

Asimov's essay on "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline" was a satirical take on the concept of entropy. He proposed a fictional substance that could defy the laws of thermodynamics and have negative entropy, thus challenging the scientific community to think outside the box about the concept.

What is the connection between entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that energy naturally tends to spread out and become more disordered. Asimov's work on entropy helped to popularize this concept and its implications in science and society.

How did Asimov's work on entropy influence other fields of study?

Asimov's work on entropy had a significant impact on fields such as philosophy, psychology, and even economics. His thought-provoking ideas about the nature of entropy and its implications for the universe and human existence have sparked discussions and further research in various disciplines.