Free downloadable science books

In summary, free downloadable science books are available online for those seeking to expand their knowledge and understanding of various scientific topics. These books cover a wide range of subjects, from biology and chemistry to physics and astronomy, and can be accessed at no cost. They are a valuable resource for students, researchers, and anyone interested in learning more about the world around us. With the ease and accessibility of online platforms, these free science books provide a convenient and affordable way to access valuable information and further one's education.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes justin001
are these legal?

Usually redistribution seems to be prohibited, but they are meant to be downloaded, legally and for free, from where their authors want them to be downloaded.

Nice links. Thanks very much.

You'll find lots of great, classic textbooks from this archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/texts

They seem to have their copyrights expired, due to the age of original publication, so I think they are all legal. Still very useful for most purposes.

Likes justin001
The books are great. Thanks for sharing those wonderful links.

There are 2 old books (Messiah and Cohen-Tannoudji et al.) and one (very) new one (Manoukian) which are very thick and full of information. But no, even all 3 of them together don't add up to 5000 pages...:D

Is "Quantum Field Theory" by Ryder a good introductory book on qft?

I'd say it's an excellent book on QFT, but make sure you read Griffiths's particle phyiscs text b4.

dextercioby said:
I'd say it's an excellent book on QFT, but make sure you read Griffiths's particle phyiscs text b4.

Is Griffith's book "An Intorduction to Quantum Mechanics" or is it called something else?

No its called "Introduction to elementary particles"

malawi_glenn said:
No its called "Introduction to elementary particles"

griffiths did write a few books... to clarify the last post i believe was saying that the book by griffiths about elementary particles should not be confused with his intro to QM book. he did write that also. hope that helps.

When posting links in this thread, please ensure that only LEGALLY available downloads are included on the site. If a site doesn't have an explicit statement regarding copyright policy on the books offered (i.e., permission from the publisher to read but not redistribute, or only offering books that are old enough to be out of copyright, or have been made available with permission from the publisher/author), we're going to take the cautious approach of deleting the link.

nice topic
also i recommended this
www.motionmountain.net
download a very nice text(pdf format) in physics and math with history

Sadly, the following phrase on the front page is a stumbling block with parents and school boards:

"Exploring these questions with this text will provide at least as much pleasure as making love."

The more conservative parents and board members would likely wonder what a phrase like that is doing in a book targeted toward "...curious men, women, boys and girls."

This is an excellent book, thanks for posting it :)

ks_physicist said:
Sadly, the following phrase on the front page is a stumbling block with parents and school boards:

"Exploring these questions with this text will provide at least as much pleasure as making love."

The more conservative parents and board members would likely wonder what a phrase like that is doing in a book targeted toward "...curious men, women, boys and girls."

Yeah. I am not conservative by any means, but even I am wondering why the hell one would put that statement there. :rofl:

Thanks. I see the site also hosts many other texts in other fields.

ks_physicist said:

maybe it comes from Feynman:

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."

Free physics textbook/material

Could someone please give some sources where we can obtain free physics textbooks. Also could somebody please tell me good physics websites that give you interesting and understandable information and some computer websites that help you learn about them from the basics to the higher levels.

Many thanks rakesh_kpn, this should be really useful for me!

Thanks! It's looks very usefull for me

thanks

kool i must save this page.. very nice indeed and if someone could pass for me a lectures writes by professors it would be so nice..

Thanks !

Yes, good way of spending my time during boring lessons!

Thanks man

Education should be free! Thanks for the books everyone...

spartacus82 said:
Education should be free! Thanks for the books everyone...
what the heck... education is free...

1. What is the format of the free downloadable science books?

The format of the free downloadable science books can vary depending on the source. Some may be in PDF format, while others may be in EPUB or MOBI format. It is important to check the file type before downloading to ensure compatibility with your device.

2. Are the free downloadable science books reliable and accurate?

It is important to research the source of the free downloadable science books to determine their reliability and accuracy. Some sources may be more reputable than others, so it is always a good idea to cross-reference information with other sources to ensure accuracy.

3. Can I find all science topics in free downloadable science books?

The availability of science topics in free downloadable science books can vary. Some sources may have a wide range of topics, while others may specialize in a specific field of science. It is best to search for specific topics or browse through different sources to find the information you need.

4. Are there any copyright issues with free downloadable science books?

It is important to check the copyright status of free downloadable science books before downloading. Some sources may have open access or Creative Commons licenses, while others may have more restrictive copyright laws. It is always best to respect copyright laws and properly cite any information used from these books.

5. Can I share or distribute free downloadable science books?

The sharing and distribution of free downloadable science books may be subject to copyright laws. It is best to check the terms of use for each source to determine if sharing is allowed. Some sources may allow for personal use only, while others may have more lenient sharing policies.