How do I remove nitrogen from air?

In summary: ATED WATER FILTER FOR THIS PURPOSE?In summary, you can remove nitrogen from air using cryogenic liquefyation or molecular sieves. However, neither of these methods are going to work with filters.
goony
Hi All, Is there a type of airfilter! that will remove nitrogen from AIR??

if not can I force air through water to remove nitrogen?? If not

How do I remove nitrogen from AIR

Please keep it simple as I is STUPID

goony

Physics news on Phys.org
The typical way is to cryogenically liquefy air, and take advantage of the different boiling points of the different gases to separate them. You're not going to have any luck with a filter.

- Warren

Do you mean that by freezing air the nitrogen removes itself? during the freezing process

goony

No, I mean that nitrogen and oxygen (and argon, etc.) boil at different temperatures. There's no freezing involved, only the phase change from liquid to gas.

- Warren

To explain further, when you cool gases they turn into liquids - just like when you heat liquids the turn into gases (for example boiling water to make steam)
To turn air into a liquid you have to cool it a lot ( -196deg C / -320F ), this takes a serious piece of industrial equipement.

Then because nitrogen and oxygen turn into liquids at different temperatures you can heat the liquid air up until one of them (oxygen first) boils off, you ae then left with nitrogen, as chroot described.
This is called distilling and is exactly the same process as boiling off water to keep the alcohol when making whiskey - that's why they are called distilleries.

On a small scale you could also find some chemical that reaction with nitrogen but not oxygen and have that 'use-up' all the nitrogen in a sample, leaving just the oxygen. I can't think of anything suitable - most things react with oxygen better than with nitrogen.

Last edited:
http://www.nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/production/1D.pdf" on zeolites is also useful for scrubbing nitrogen from air as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
To some extent you may remove nitrogen using molecular sieves.

Edit: looks like chemisttree beat me by 1 minute :frown:

Last edited:
I have been working on a project for some time now. In cars gasoline is wasted because it is not fully atomized. The air mixture is mostly components that are not concentrated enough to ignite (Hydrogen) or inert components that are of no use (Nitrogen). The Oxygen content limits the reaction in it's current percentage.

I've found that if you cool air that the process of simple dehumidification increases the efficiency of the combustion process. If that air is compressed and sent in through a sealed air-fuel mixture chamber there is further efficiency but less than I expected but it's still impressive.

To describe it, think of trying to boil and egg in Colorado and then do one in Arizona. If you measure the energy spent for the outcome that is the result I demonstrated. O.K.- now that I've demonstrated that I passed the 3rd grade here is my question. Is there a way - using components currently on a vehicle (as I have done) to further enhance the oxygen to the engine?

If one were able to safely compress and then decompress purified and dehumidified air would that be possible on a microscale in a lab?

Q1: "How do I remove nitrogen from AIR"

Q2: "Is there a way - using components currently on a vehicle (as I have done) to further enhance the oxygen to the engine?"

The "Pressure Swing Absorbtion" method mentioned above is actually simple enough. it is used in oxygen makers used for medical purposes. It uses a compound called "Zeolite" to absorb (and remove) Nitrogen from air. At some point the compound becomes saturated and needs to be regenerated using heat.

Waste heat from the exhaust and catalytic converter could be used to regenerate the zeolite intermittently. Since it is a cyclic process, you could use 2 or more scrubbers. One would be in use at all times, while the other(s) are regenerating.

The "Pressure Swing Absorbtion" process also involves pressurization of air. As you mentioned, this alone leads to a small increase in efficiency. Combined with pure oxygen, it would be a large increase.

An engine equipped with this system would not produce Nitrogen compounds formed during combustion as air respirated angines do. The expelled nitrogen could be mixed with exhaust gas downstream.

chroot said:
The typical way is to cryogenically liquefy air, and take advantage of the different boiling points of the different gases to separate them. You're not going to have any luck with a filter.

- Warren
my QUES is at WARREN:
hi sir!
How de we remove nitrogen from air at NORMAL ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS? ( Usin any air filter?) Pls reply
shall v use LITHIUM COATIN

1. How is nitrogen removed from air?

Nitrogen can be removed from air through a process called fractional distillation. This involves cooling air to a very low temperature, causing its components to separate based on their boiling points. Nitrogen, which has a lower boiling point than oxygen, can then be collected as a liquid and stored.

2. Why do we need to remove nitrogen from air?

Nitrogen is not harmful to humans and is actually the most abundant gas in our atmosphere. However, in certain industrial processes such as food packaging and electronics manufacturing, high levels of nitrogen can be detrimental. Removing nitrogen from air can help prevent spoilage of food products and reduce the risk of explosions in manufacturing plants.

3. What are the different methods for removing nitrogen from air?

Aside from fractional distillation, there are other methods for removing nitrogen from air. These include membrane separation, pressure swing adsorption, and cryogenic distillation. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

4. Is it possible to completely remove nitrogen from air?

While it is possible to remove a significant amount of nitrogen from air, it is not possible to remove all of it. This is because nitrogen is a major component of our atmosphere and is constantly being replenished through natural processes such as nitrogen fixation. However, for specific industrial purposes, nitrogen levels can be reduced to very low levels.

5. What are the potential risks of removing nitrogen from air?

The main risk associated with removing nitrogen from air is the potential for oxygen depletion. This can occur in closed spaces where nitrogen is being used, such as in food packaging or in diving environments. It is important to carefully monitor oxygen levels and ensure proper ventilation when working with nitrogen gas.