Finding a Voice Synthesizer Chip for Solar Charger Project

• Thread starter zyho
  • Start date
In summary: This really brings back some memories. One of the first kits I put together was a free one from Bell Labs back in the early '60s. It used caps and inductors to produce the vowels that...
zyho
I am currently doing my solar charger with storage level indication through 7segment and an output voice of storage level. I am currently facing problem in the sound synthesizer circuit where i need to find the suitable chip for my project.

I have read up some chip such as AD74111, AD7880, AD7868 and BU6922KV. All these chip are not suitable to be used and i have out of resource to find the chip. Is there any other options that i can go on?

I need to find a way to pronounce the sound correctly using any chip that available.

Engineering news on Phys.org
zyho said:
I am currently doing my solar charger with storage level indication through 7segment and an output voice of storage level. I am currently facing problem in the sound synthesizer circuit where i need to find the suitable chip for my project.

I have read up some chip such as AD74111, AD7880, AD7868 and BU6922KV. All these chip are not suitable to be used and i have out of resource to find the chip. Is there any other options that i can go on?

I need to find a way to pronounce the sound correctly using any chip that available.

How many words do you need to produce? Do you already have a uC as part of the circuit?

berkeman said:
How many words do you need to produce? Do you already have a uC as part of the circuit?

Hi berkeman,

I need to produce sound like for example 80% full as i am doing charging. I am currently looking at one microcontroller which is Magnevation SpeakJet. Still searching for other options.

Do u have any ICs in mind that can do that?Actually i am not allowed to use pre-record Speech Synthesizer. I am using PIC to be the one doing work, sending data.

Regards,
zyho

zyho said:
Hi berkeman,

I need to produce sound like for example 80% full as i am doing charging. I am currently looking at one microcontroller which is Magnevation SpeakJet. Still searching for other options.

Do u have any ICs in mind that can do that?Actually i am not allowed to use pre-record Speech Synthesizer. I am using PIC to be the one doing work, sending data.

Regards,
zyho

You're not allowed to use pre-recorded speech? Weird. How are you supposed to "synthesize" speech?

berkeman said:
You're not allowed to use pre-recorded speech? Weird. How are you supposed to "synthesize" speech?

As i know, there are some ICs that have sounds producing by either Hex code or maybe other binary code. Maybe by combining simple sound to found a word. Something like the world 'good', it might need two sound from the IC so that it can form the 'good' word. just simple 'la' pronounce or other simple sound. I am not good in explain, do u understand what i am trying to express?haha.

For the project, i will have a 7 segment display of the storage level of my solar charger. then there will be a PIC taking the data to send in the synthesize IC to produce the sounds that i need for my project.

Regards,
Zhao Yong

zyho said:
As i know, there are some ICs that have sounds producing by either Hex code or maybe other binary code. Maybe by combining simple sound to found a word. Something like the world 'good', it might need two sound from the IC so that it can form the 'good' word. just simple 'la' pronounce or other simple sound. I am not good in explain, do u understand what i am trying to express?haha.

For the project, i will have a 7 segment display of the storage level of my solar charger. then there will be a PIC taking the data to send in the synthesize IC to produce the sounds that i need for my project.

Regards,
Zhao Yong

Interesting. Maybe they synthesize them on the fly using phonemes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme

I'm familiar with using phonemes in voice recognition, but hadn't considered that they might be useful in voice synthesis as well. Sounds like a fun project!

berkeman said:

I'm familiar with using phonemes in voice recognition, but hadn't considered that they might be useful in voice synthesis as well. Sounds like a fun project!

hi berkeman,

Yea yea. that's the word phoneme. I am actually enjoying doing this project! haha! Just that having difficulty to find ICs can actually do the job that i wanted to.

Any ICs in ur mind? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
zyho

berkeman said:

This really brings back some memories. One of the first kits I put together was a free one from Bell Labs back in the early '60s. It used caps and inductors to produce the vowels that you could string together to "simulate" words (very crude). Here a link to see what they looked like:
http://www.porticus.org/bell/belllabs_kits_ss.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do voice synthesizer chips work?

Voice synthesizer chips work by converting digital signals into analog audio signals, which are then amplified and played through a speaker to produce speech or other sounds. They use algorithms and pre-recorded voice samples to generate speech or sound, and can be controlled through various input methods such as buttons or microcontrollers.

2. What features should I look for in a voice synthesizer chip for my solar charger project?

When choosing a voice synthesizer chip for your solar charger project, some important features to consider include compatibility with your project's microcontroller, the number of available voices and languages, the quality of speech/sound production, and any additional features such as built-in memory or voice recognition capabilities.

3. Can I use a voice synthesizer chip with a solar-powered device?

Yes, voice synthesizer chips can be used with solar-powered devices as they typically require low power consumption and can be powered by a small solar panel. However, it is important to check the power requirements of the specific chip you are considering and ensure that it is compatible with your solar charger's power supply.

4. How do I integrate a voice synthesizer chip into my solar charger project?

The specific integration process will depend on the chip and your project's design, but in general, you will need to connect the chip to your microcontroller and program it to generate the desired speech or sound. You may also need to add additional components such as a speaker and power supply. It is recommended to consult the chip's datasheet or seek professional assistance for proper integration.

5. Are there any limitations to using a voice synthesizer chip in a solar charger project?

One potential limitation of using a voice synthesizer chip in a solar charger project is the power consumption. Some chips may require more power than others, which may affect the overall efficiency of your solar charger. Additionally, the quality of speech or sound production may also be limited by the capabilities of the chip. It is important to carefully consider these factors when choosing a chip for your project.