What engineering degree for Geothermal energy?

In summary, the conversation discussed the best undergraduate degree for a career in geothermal energy production. While petroleum engineering is a popular choice, there are strong arguments for pursuing a degree in mechanical or civil engineering. Taking relevant courses and specializing in a specific area through a graduate program may be beneficial. Creativity may also be necessary in acquiring the desirable skills for this career path.
Catsworth
Does anyone have any recommendations for an undergraduate degree that would prepare one for a career in geothermal energy production. Petroleum engineering deals with the injection and recovery of fluids from the earth, but strong arguments can be made for the value of an ME or CE path. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Catsworth said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for an undergraduate degree that would prepare one for a career in geothermal energy production. Petroleum engineering deals with the injection and recovery of fluids from the earth, but strong arguments can be made for the value of an ME or CE path. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You

I believe you've answered your own question.

Clearly, I have not answered my own question. The question was about what others could add to my my own observations. If i did not need others' input I would not have posted the topic. If multiple internet searches did not deliver sufficient answers, I would not have posted the topic. Keep your snotty, smart *** comments to yourself if you have nothing to add.

IMO, a ME degree would be perfect. In your last year just take courses in which you feel would have the most applications to geothermal energy. And if you have any science electives take some Earth science courses. After you graduate you can do a masters degree in your specialization, since it is probably easier to find a graduate program in that than an undergraduate program. Also, if you change your mind it would not be a big deal at all to specialize in another area.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback. With the lack of a clear career path, I think that this will require some creativity in acquiring the desirable skills.

What engineering degree is required for Geothermal energy?

The most common engineering degree for Geothermal energy is a degree in either Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. These degrees provide a strong foundation in the principles of energy conversion and distribution, which are essential for working with Geothermal energy systems.

Is a degree in Geothermal engineering necessary for working in the field?

While a degree in Geothermal engineering is not required, it can be beneficial for those who wish to work specifically in the Geothermal energy industry. This degree will provide a deeper understanding of the unique challenges and technologies used in Geothermal energy production.

Can a Civil Engineering degree lead to a career in Geothermal energy?

Yes, a degree in Civil Engineering can be useful for a career in Geothermal energy. Civil engineers are responsible for designing and constructing the infrastructure needed for Geothermal energy production, such as wells and pipelines.

What skills are important for a Geothermal energy engineer?

Some important skills for a Geothermal energy engineer include a strong understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics. Additionally, knowledge of renewable energy systems and experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software can be beneficial.

Are there any specific courses to take for a Geothermal energy engineering degree?

While course requirements may vary by university, some common courses for a Geothermal energy engineering degree include Geothermal resource assessment, Geothermal system design, and Geothermal drilling and production. These courses will provide a foundation in the specific technologies and challenges of Geothermal energy production.