Anyone know of a good, detailed San Andreas Fault map?

• Thread starter DataPlumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault Map
In summary: From my university studies in geology, I recall that researchers have found original Gondwana Land rocks along the California region. Definately qualifies as an exotic terrane :)
DataPlumber
I live less than a mile from the SAFZ near Frazier Park, and would like to identify related surface features like escarpments, tuff outcrops, etc. After much Googling, I have found no maps that would help me locate the identified fault line locations within even 1000ft. None.
Has anyone here seen any such maps that do not require $$ or proprietary viewers?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Andre said:
Did you try this? http://geology.com/san-andreas-fault/

Unfortunately the zoom buttons don't show in the upper left corner. You have to move around with the mouse to find them

Thanks! That works quite well. Looks like a Google Maps with a fault-line overlay. It looks familiar; I must have come across this before but did not check it's good resolution. It proves that the volcanic tuff did originate right on the fault line. I wonder how old that is...

DataPlumber said:
I live less than a mile from the SAFZ near Frazier Park, and would like to identify related surface features like escarpments, tuff outcrops, etc. After much Googling, I have found no maps that would help me locate the identified fault line locations within even 1000ft. None.
Has anyone here seen any such maps that do not require $$ or proprietary viewers?

If you would like printed maps/posters, the USGS HQ at Menlo Park south of San Francisco have an excellent collection. Their prices are very affordable. On one of my visits there, I stocked up on a bunch of maps.
Even if you don't want to buy maps its still a cool place to visit :)

cheers
Dave

DataPlumber said:
Thanks! That works quite well. Looks like a Google Maps with a fault-line overlay. It looks familiar; I must have come across this before but did not check it's good resolution. It proves that the volcanic tuff did originate right on the fault line. I wonder how old that is...
Just curious, but how could you ascertain the origin of a tuff was right on the fault line from that image?

Benthos said:
Just curious, but how could you ascertain the origin of a tuff was right on the fault line from that image?

and not just that but it probably didnt originate in that area anyway
everything west of the SAF ( and some sections east of it, particularly around San Francisco, between the SAF, Calaveras and Heyward Faults) originated 1000's of km to the south. most of this material has been rafted along by the movement of the SAF and assoc faults and accreted onto the western side of the USA. These slices of crust are called Terranes and also Exotic Terranes
Do a google search on "exotic terranes north america" there is a wealth of good info.

From my university studies in geology, I recall that researchers have found original Gondwana Land rocks along the California region. Definately qualifies as an exotic terrane :)

cheers
Dave

What is the San Andreas Fault?

The San Andreas Fault is a major geological fault line in California that runs roughly 800 miles from the Salton Sea north to Cape Mendocino. It marks the boundary between the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate.

Why is a detailed map of the San Andreas Fault important?

A detailed map of the San Andreas Fault is important for understanding the potential hazards and risks associated with living near the fault line. It can also help scientists and researchers study the fault and its behavior over time.

Where can I find a good, detailed San Andreas Fault map?

There are several reputable sources for obtaining a good, detailed San Andreas Fault map. These include the United States Geological Survey (USGS), California Geological Survey, and academic institutions such as the Southern California Earthquake Center.

What information should I look for in a detailed San Andreas Fault map?

A good, detailed San Andreas Fault map should include information such as the location and extent of the fault, historical earthquake data, and potential hazards and risks associated with living near the fault line. It may also include information on fault segments and fault creep.

Are there online resources for viewing San Andreas Fault maps?

Yes, there are several online resources for viewing San Andreas Fault maps. The USGS and California Geological Survey websites offer interactive maps that allow users to zoom in and explore different sections of the fault. Additionally, there are various educational and scientific websites that provide detailed maps and information about the San Andreas Fault.