Are Men With Cats Considered Odd? Tips for Living Alone with a Feline Companion

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, Flex is considering getting a cat, but is worried about the judgment he will receive living alone with one. He thinks that a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist would be a better option.
netgypsy said:
If the hooks are just removed the claws still grip. They just don't shred furniture. I haven't noticed cats using their claws when they run. Interesting. I'll have to watch some videos of them. A family member adopted a declawed cat and he would ball up his paw and sock a dog or cat that came too close.

poor thing, declawing is not really done in the UK! Mine don't scratch a lot tbh so have never noticed them having to get their claws out more die to clipping also i have been clipping their claws since they were kittens just so they don't get caught in things or accidentally hurt one another when playing

Physics news on Phys.org
Pixel enjoyed her long weekend with me. I gave her a bit of turkey to enjoy for Thanksgiving. I helped her discover the bedroom window and now she sneaks behind the curtains and sits on the deep sill occasionally during the night before relaxing back on the bed and falling asleep again.

I have lots of pictures and videos and just haven't gotten around to uploading them. We watched Spongebob yesterday; she likes Mr. Crabs for some reason.

I was watching some Netflix on my laptop in bed and she helped me pick out a show... and then another one, and the closed the browser window, opened a few others, put my recycle bin inside of itself and then deleted it, shut off my wireless transceiver, pressed the "B" key for a while, and finally got bored.

Either way, my number one goal has been achieved... keep her alive!

FlexGunship said:
Pixel enjoyed her long weekend with me. I gave her a bit of turkey to enjoy for Thanksgiving. I helped her discover the bedroom window and now she sneaks behind the curtains and sits on the deep sill occasionally during the night before relaxing back on the bed and falling asleep again.

I have lots of pictures and videos and just haven't gotten around to uploading them. We watched Spongebob yesterday; she likes Mr. Crabs for some reason.

I was watching some Netflix on my laptop in bed and she helped me pick out a show... and then another one, and the closed the browser window, opened a few others, put my recycle bin inside of itself and then deleted it, shut off my wireless transceiver, pressed the "B" key for a while, and finally got bored.

Bless they do have a thing about typing for some reason i have turned my back for just a few mins before to find that the kitten has deleted things off the computer and somehow managed to empty the bin. Am looking forward to the pics. Is the little madam sleeping in with you

FlexGunship said:
Pixel enjoyed her long weekend with me.

Flex,

Since you are quite a devil :devil: and it is hard to know when you switch into being silly, sarcastic, etc... seriously, you watched Spongebob with her ?!

Rhody...

P.S. I still can't get over how she will bring things to you as well, some strange genetics going on there.

The most comfortable places for a cat are the most inconvenient for humans.

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef01156fbe1c1e970c-320wi.jpg

tashalustig said:
poor thing, declawing is not really done in the UK! Mine don't scratch a lot tbh so have never noticed them having to get their claws out more die to clipping also i have been clipping their claws since they were kittens just so they don't get caught in things or accidentally hurt one another when playing

Declawing is nasty and unnecessary. They even have these little hollow soft claws you can glue on a cat but really how long do you think the cat would take to remove them. Five minutes maybe?

KrisOhn said:
The most comfortable places for a cat are the most inconvenient for humans.

6a00d8341cdd0d53ef01156fbe1c1e970c-320wi.jpg

OMG OMG gorgeous do you know the breed that look like a ragdoll pose

tashalustig said:

Here in the US, more and more veterinarians are refusing to do the procedure, based on ethical grounds. Long overdue, IMO.

lisab said:
Here in the US, more and more veterinarians are refusing to do the procedure, based on ethical grounds. Long overdue, IMO.

Yes i would never do it it is like someone ripper nails off their child its just horrible there aren't many that would do it over here definitely no vets.

Flex,
To celebrate the successful new addition to your household, I drew you a picture:
cat-1.jpg

You're welcome.

tashalustig said:
OMG OMG gorgeous do you know the breed that look like a ragdoll pose
Looks part Siamese.

My cats just walk across the keyboard or sit on it. Usually that's coincident with mealtime.

Cat guys = very huggable, patient, dependable, . . . , house trained, . . . .

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Looks part Siamese.

My cats just walk across the keyboard or sit on it. Usually that's coincident with mealtime.

HAHAHAH house trained there's a positive point! She could actually be a number breeds especially as the little one is all white now, ragdoll, siamese, birman. But we will need more pictures :)

rhody said:
Flex,

Since you are quite a devil :devil: and it is hard to know when you switch into being silly, sarcastic, etc... seriously, you watched Spongebob with her ?!

Rhody...

P.S. I still can't get over how she will bring things to you as well, some strange genetics going on there.

I might be 26, but I'm allowed to like Spongebob; we'll leave it at that.

EDIT: If she can carry it in her teeth she will. Sometimes held high as a prize, sometimes she'll drop it short, bat it for a second and then walk away.

I don't count it as "fetch" unless she drops it and runs back to the stairs and waits for me to throw it again. If she drops it and wanders off, then it's probably just a coincidence that I was nearby.

nobahar said:
Flex,
To celebrate the successful new addition to your household, I drew you a picture:
cat-1.jpg

You're welcome.

How'd you know I wear a top hat around the house?

Astronuc said:

Minus the house trained thing... my housekeeper would strongly disagree with you on that point.

30ju16w.jpg

See... us watching Spongebob the other day.

FlexGunship said:
30ju16w.jpg

Sorry Flex, that is just too funny, glad you and Pixel enjoy it though.

Rhody... :rofl: :approve:

FlexGunship said:
30ju16w.jpg

Sweet!

Humans domesticated dogs. Cats domesticated humans. Does she purr when she watches spongebob? I confess I watch it also with a cat.

netgypsy said:
Humans domesticated dogs. Cats domesticated humans. Does she purr when she watches spongebob? I confess I watch it also with a cat.

Does she purr when watching TV?? Please... she purrs when a breeze blows through the room.

Flex, I'm sorry but that is really weird! You really need to expose Pixel to more sophisticated programming. I suggest turning on PBS.

Ivan Seeking said:
Flex, I'm sorry but that is really weird! You really need to expose Pixel to more sophisticated programming. I suggest turning on PBS.

Ivan, she's a baby. She's not going to appreciate a documentary on the Wuba-wuba people of Southern Monolongabongaboo, she likes bright flashing colors and surprising noises...

... and I like it because of the complicated subtext and gripping side plots.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj9fn0Tdnb1qfmqx5o1_400.jpg [Broken]​

Source: http://welcometothekrustykrab.tumblr.com/post/4428393947/i-cant-see-my-forehead [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're talking about cats have you guys seen this? (Ignore commercial first)http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/animal/kangaroo-hopping-kitten.html [Broken]

LOL that gave me quite a giggle mine like scifi i think its all the space ships personally

FlexGunship said:
she likes bright flashing colors and surprising noises

Yeah, me too.

My Little Tyke likes to ride in the car now. When I get in the car to drive up to the house, she comes running and leaps into the front seat, then the back window. When I park at the house, she often gets out and runs back down to the office.

It seems that I'm just running a cat joyride service.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yeah, me too.

My Little Tyke likes to ride in the car now. When I get in the car to drive up to the house, she comes running and leaps into the front seat, then the back window. When I park at the house, she often gets out and runs back down to the office.

It seems that I'm just running a cat joyride service.

:rofl: you definitely do sound like you are

I made some Pixel-based memes. The picture is just a random cat picture I found on a meme-generator site... no Pixel, unfortunately.

b99jrs.jpg
incnjs.jpg

2rdhimo.jpg
14w8zz9.jpg

25q4vt4.jpg
rwowvm.jpg

11sh4s3.jpg
2wrf500.jpg

sfypdz.jpg

:rofl: Those are great memes!

Flex, how are you not in the running for the humor award? :confused:

FlexGunship said:
Oh you just wait, Dembadon... you just wait...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dembadon said:
Flex, how are you not in the running for the humor award? :confused:
He only started being funny about two weeks ago. Before that no one realized what he'd been concealing up his sleeve.

zoobyshoe said:
He only started being funny about two weeks ago. Before that no one realized what he'd been concealing up his sleeve.

For the record, I reached my pinnacle of hilarity about a year ago, after that there was a general decline to a plateau of 80% of peak, which was followed by this recent incline which has brought me back to ~95% of peak. The current trend is still upwards with a projected Lipper average beating the triple bottom breakout point. Traders are looking for bearish technicals in my hilarity index but its resisting a reversal in trend.

http://billymoses.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/confused-cat.jpg?w=230&h=300 [Broken]​

Okay?

Don't screw up, Flex. I'm heavily invested in your humor derivatives, and the guy I bought them from is now betting against them.

turbo said:
Don't screw up, Flex. I'm heavily invested in your humor derivatives, and the guy I bought them from is now betting against them.

I'd be worried, too. It's too big to fail!

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
For the record, I reached my pinnacle of hilarity about a year ago, after that there was a general decline to a plateau of 80% of peak, which was followed by this recent incline which has brought me back to ~95% of peak. The current trend is still upwards with a projected Lipper average beating the triple bottom breakout point. Traders are looking for bearish technicals in my hilarity index but its resisting a reversal in trend.
No, I realize you've been cracking jokes for quite a while. What I meant is you never said anything authentically funny till about two weeks ago.

Dembadon said:
I'd be worried, too. It's too big to fail!

That's funny... that's exactly what my girlfriend said!

(Could've gone the low road with "your girlfriend" or "your mom" but I'm playing it classy.)

zoobyshoe said:
No, I realize you've been cracking jokes for quite a while. What I meant is you never said anything authentically funny till about two weeks ago.

Oh, for the love of...

<h2>1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?</h2><p>Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?</h2><p>Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.</p><h2>3. Do cats make good companions for single men?</h2><p>Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?</h2><p>Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.</p><h2>5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?</h2><p>One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.</p>

1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?

Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.

2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?

Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.

3. Do cats make good companions for single men?

Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.

4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?

Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.

5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?

One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.