Equation in mathtype appear randomly when double clicking for editing

• Thread starter mb.fathi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathtype
In summary, the issue of random equations appearing when double clicking for editing is caused by not following the recommended process for using MathType and Word together. This can be solved by creating each equation in a separate MathType window and closing it before moving onto the next one. Alternatively, opening MathType from the Windows Start menu and using copy and paste instead of the blue Sigma can also prevent this issue.
mb.fathi
equation in mathtype appear randomly when double clicking for editing

Hi everybody,

Can anyone help me for my great problem.

I typesetted a document in microsoft word 2007 full of math equations typed with mathtype. But when I double click on every equation in the document it will appear another equation in the dialogue mathtype box.

I am loosing some large amount of my work with this strange happening.

Please, some one help me.

Any thanks will be appreciated in advance.

thanks again
mohammad

Physics news on Phys.org
mb.fathi said:
...when I double click on every equation in the document it will appear another equation in the dialogue mathtype box...

I am quite sure this is caused when you click the blue Sigma (on the Ribbon) to insert an MathType equation, but when you want to put the equation into your document, you copy (or cut) and paste or drag and drop. Then when you want another equation, you click the blue Sigma again, etc.

If you follow that process for a document with 10 equations, at the end you will have 10 MathType windows open. Even if you don't click on Sigma each time, but always go back to the original MathType window, that isn't the best way to use MathType and Word together.

Following the process outlined in the MathType documentation (MathType Help), you should click the blue Sigma, then create your equation, then close the MathType window. If you do this for each equation, they should be positioned properly.

That may seem like a lot of steps, but actually copying and pasting each equation is more steps. Still, if you prefer to copy & paste, that should not be a problem, but you should open MathType from the Windows Start menu, rather than from Word's Ribbon.

1. What is Mathtype and how is it used?

Mathtype is a software tool used for creating and editing mathematical equations and symbols in documents, presentations, and other digital media. It provides a user-friendly interface for creating complex mathematical equations and allows for easy integration into various types of documents.

2. Why do equations in Mathtype sometimes appear randomly when double clicking for editing?

This can happen when the Mathtype application is not properly installed or if there is a compatibility issue with the document or operating system. It can also occur when there are conflicts with other software or when there are corrupt files within the Mathtype application.

3. How can I fix the issue of equations appearing randomly in Mathtype?

The first step would be to make sure that the Mathtype application is properly installed and updated. If the issue persists, try restarting the application or your device. If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the application. If the problem still persists, contact Mathtype customer support for further assistance.

4. Can I customize the appearance of equations in Mathtype?

Yes, Mathtype allows for customization of the appearance of equations, including font type, size, color, and formatting. It also offers a wide range of symbols and templates for creating complex equations.

5. Is Mathtype compatible with all document types and operating systems?

Mathtype is compatible with most document types and operating systems, including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Google Docs. However, there may be occasional compatibility issues, especially with older versions of software or operating systems. It is always recommended to check for updates and compatibility before using Mathtype in a document.