Highest expansion rate during inflation.

In summary, the Hubble parameter, which is related through the Friedmann equation to the energy density, reaches its upper limit at the Planck scale during inflation. However, we have experimental bounds on the energy for the general class of models known as slow roll inflation. In these models, at sufficiently high energy the inflationary expansion generates gravitational waves with an amplitude that would have been measured by CMB telescopes. If I recall correctly, the upper bound is somewhere around 10^16 GeV. Additionally, superinflation, a period where the Hubble parameter increases, occurs in the Loop Friedmann model. Hmax has been calculated in a paper by Ashtekar and Sloan, and their result is less than Planck scale, but still roughly
MTd2
Gold Member
What is the highest expansion rate during inflation?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The expansion rate is given by the Hubble parameter, which is related through the Friedmann equation to the energy density: [itex]H^2 \propto \rho [/itex]. The upper limit to the inflationary energy scale is in principle the Planck scale. However, we have experimental bounds on the energy for the general class of models known as slow roll inflation. In these models, at sufficiently high energy the inflationary expansion generates gravitational waves with an amplitude that would have been measured by CMB telescopes. If I recall correctly, the upper bound is somewhere around [itex]\rho \sim 10^{16}[/itex] GeV.

In simpler models of inflation, the early universe should have expanded by a factor exceeding ten to the ten millionth power in a fraction of a second.

If I'm remembering correctly, in the Guth-Linde version of inflation, the universe expanded by a factor of 1080 in the period between 10-45 and 10-35 seconds.

Chronos said:
In simpler models of inflation, the early universe should have expanded by a factor exceeding ten to the ten millionth power in a fraction of a second.

That much? I thought models that considered a duration of 10^-32s with an expansion of e^60 ~ 10^26, which would mean 10^54 for each second... That is on average. I'd like to know the peak rate.

MTd2, I think you know something of the Loop cosmology picture so you might be interested in what Hmax is during the brief pre-inflation phase associated with the cosmological bounce.

The model can accommodate a conventional slow-roll inflation that occurs later. However the bounce itself is governed by the quantum-corrected Friedmann equation, and does not require any exotic matter or "inflaton" field. The Hubble parameter H is given directly by the quantum-corrected Friedmann equation. As you know, H is expressed in units of reciprocal time and it is, of course, negative during contraction. As one would expect, H = 0 at the exact moment of the bounce.

In the Loop Friedmann model, H then grows extremely rapidly (the repulsion effect of quantum gravity at near-Planck-scale densities) in a phase called "super-inflation".
Hmax has been calculated in a paper by Ashtekar and Sloan. In the case they worked out numerically, it reached 0.93 of Planck.

But this effect depends on high energy density and the density slacks off very rapidly, so this "superinflation" phase (although involving a very high expansion rate H) is extremely brief. It is a pre-inflation "spike" in H.

It's common in Loop cosmology to consider a subsequent episode of the usual inflation, with an "inflaton" field, which superinflation prepares the way for.

Inflation is a period where H is gradually declining but nearly constant. So the scale factor grows exponentially.
Superinflation is a period where H is increasing so you get faster than exponential growth. That is the reason for the terminology.

I'll get a link to that Ashtekar Sloan paper. Their Hmax is less than Planck scale, but still roughly on the order of 1043 per second. (The reciprocal of Planck time which is roughly 10-43 second.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.2475
Probability of Inflation in Loop Quantum Cosmology
Abhay Ashtekar, David Sloan
(Submitted on 12 Mar 2011)
... success brings to forefront the question of naturalness: Does a sufficiently long slow roll inflation occur generically or does it require a careful fine tuning of initial parameters? In recent years there has been considerable controversy ...We then show that this ambiguity can be naturally resolved in loop quantum cosmology (LQC) because the big bang is replaced by a big bounce and the bounce surface can be used to introduce the structure necessary to specify a satisfactory measure.
The second goal of the paper is to present a detailed analysis of the inflationary dynamics of LQC using analytical and numerical methods. By combining this information with the measure on the space of solutions, we address a sharper question than those investigated in the literature: What is the probability of a sufficiently long slow roll inflation WHICH IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE SEVEN YEAR WMAP DATA? We show that the probability is very close to 1...
34 pages, 3 figures

Last edited:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.2475
Probability of Inflation in LQC
==quote page 17==
At the end of super-inflation, the Hubble parameter takes its maximum value, Hmax = 0.93 mPl.
==endquote==

There is a figure on page 22 (Fig. 2) where they plot the curve of ordinary inflation. The time-scale is 1 = 107 Planck time units.
The vertical scale is in "e-folds". It shows how the scalefactor a(t) grows, from about 1 e-fold at the end of superinflation, at a gradually declining rate, to about 60-e-folds, where it levels off.

Hi Marcus!

I am more interested in the 2nd inflation, the usual one. I am wondering if you can trigger a de inflation and "release it" for a mean of propulsion. 1 nanometer de inflated and re inflated can move you 10 thousand light years.

MTd2 said:
That much? I thought models that considered a duration of 10^-32s with an expansion of e^60 ~ 10^26, which would mean 10^54 for each second... That is on average. I'd like to know the peak rate.
The amount of expansion is commonly given in terms of the number of e-folds of expansion, N, where [itex]a(t) = a(t_i)e^{N}[/itex]. From this expression the rate of change is seen to be
[tex]\frac{dN}{dt} = H[/tex]

What is the concept of "Highest expansion rate during inflation"?

The concept of "Highest expansion rate during inflation" refers to the period in the early universe where the universe underwent a rapid and exponential expansion known as inflation. This inflationary period is believed to have occurred in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang and resulted in the universe expanding at an incredibly fast rate.

How is the expansion rate during inflation calculated?

The expansion rate during inflation is calculated using mathematical models and theories, such as the theory of general relativity. These models take into account various factors such as the energy density of the universe, the speed of light, and the rate of expansion over time. Currently, there is no definitive answer on the exact expansion rate during inflation, but it is estimated to be around 1026 times the speed of light.

What caused the universe to undergo such a rapid expansion during inflation?

The exact cause of inflation is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that it was triggered by a rapid phase transition in the universe, while others propose the existence of a hypothetical particle called the inflaton. However, there is still no conclusive evidence to support any one theory.

What is the significance of the expansion rate during inflation in our understanding of the universe?

The expansion rate during inflation is a crucial aspect of our understanding of the early universe. It helps us explain the large-scale structure of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and the patterns of cosmic microwave background radiation. It also plays a role in theories about the origin and fate of the universe.

Can the expansion rate during inflation be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no direct way to observe or measure the expansion rate during inflation. However, scientists can indirectly study and measure the effects of inflation on the universe through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and other cosmological data. Further research and advancements in technology may eventually allow for more direct measurements of the expansion rate during inflation.