Quantum mechanics in multiple dimensions

In summary, the separation constant should have opposite sign, but the physical situation is exactly the same. The wrong choice of a separation constant will lead you in unwanted behavior of your solutions.
aaaa202
Suppose we have a 2d problem (for instance a 2d box). You look for separable solutions in x and y. But it seems to me that the solutions are in a way determined by how we choose the separation constant. Do we know anything a priori that tells us if the separation constant should be negative or positive?
Consider for instance the 2d box. The separation constant for the x and y solution should have opposite sign, yet the physical situation is exactly the same. What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
the wrong choice of a separation constant will lead you in unwanted behavior of your solutions...
So generally you want to avoid infitities and of course you want to apply some boundary conditions...

But I just don't see how you can determine it. Consider for instance the 2D box. You would be crazy not to think that the wave functions in x and y are the same. The SE is:

HY(y)X(x) = EY(y)X(x)

but now comes a choice:

In which of the separated equation does E go? And in which of the separated equation do we put a minus sign and a plus sign? The minus sign will of course be fatal since you then get a solution with an exponential rather than and exp(ix)

aaaa202 said:
But I just don't see how you can determine it. Consider for instance the 2D box. You would be crazy not to think that the wave functions in x and y are the same. The SE is:

HY(y)X(x) = EY(y)X(x)

but now comes a choice:

In which of the separated equation does E go? And in which of the separated equation do we put a minus sign and a plus sign? The minus sign will of course be fatal since you then get a solution with an exponential rather than and exp(ix)
The separation constant goes with both.

The way it works is f(x)=g(y) => f(x) = c = g(y). Both functions equal the separation constant.

Second, you don't assign a sign to the separation constant - it's just a constant and the value of it will come out in the math.

So suppose you have the 2d box.

Inside it you will have an SE of the form:

-hbar^2/2m(∂x2 +∂y2 )XY = EXY

So we could separate variables and get the equation:

-hbar^2/2m(∂x2Y = (K+E)X

-hbar^2/2m(∂y2Y = -KY

How am I to determine what the values of these constants K should be? Of course from the symmetry you want the solutions in each dimension to be the same, but with this choice of letting E go into either x and y it doesn't seem like you get that.

aaaa202 said:
So suppose you have the 2d box.

Inside it you will have an SE of the form:

-hbar^2/2m(∂x2 +∂y2 )XY = EXY

So we could separate variables and get the equation:

-hbar^2/2m(∂x2Y = (K+E)X

-hbar^2/2m(∂y2Y = -KY

How am I to determine what the values of these constants K should be? Of course from the symmetry you want the solutions in each dimension to be the same, but with this choice of letting E go into either x and y it doesn't seem like you get that.

There seems to be something odd about your separation of variables.

The way it works is:
-hbar^2/2m(∂x2 +∂y2 )XY = EXY=(Ex+Ey)XY

then :
((1/X)(∂x2X+ 2mEx/hbar^2) +((1/Y)(∂y2Y+ 2mEy/hbar^2) =0

In order for this to be 0 for all x ,y both terms must equal 0 independently.
x2X =-2mEx/hbar^2 X

y2Y =-2mEy/hbar^2 Y

Ex and Ey a are your energies associated to each coordinate and are determined by your boundary conditions. There is no arbitrary choice.

Last edited:
Okay so you start with the two separate equations and add them. Hmm I guess that makes physical sense, but I have just seen the other version used for e.g. the hydrogen atom.
To recap on this form what I do is say:

-hbar^2/2m(∂x2 +∂x2 )XY = EXY

Divide by XY and you get:

-hbar^2/2m(1/X∂x2X +1/Y∂x2 )Y = E

And since the sum of the X and Y term is a constant, they must each be equal to a constant. You can either let the E go into the X or Y equation. Doing so for X you end up with the equations from my previous post.
I have seen this used for the hydrogen atom where you let the E-term go into the radial equation. On the other hand, it is later showed how this separation was actually physically equivalent to constructing simultaneous eigenstates of L2, Lz, H, so maybe this explains it?

I hope I have made my problem clear - I don't see how you just from the math can determine anything about the separation constants.

aaaa202 said:
In which of the separated equation does E go?

You can do it either way. It doesn't make any difference in the final result. Using your 2-dimensional box example start with:

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{X} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2}
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{Y} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} = E$$

Method 1: Put E with the y-term and define a second separation constant

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{X} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} =
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{Y} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} + E = F$$

This leads to the two separated equations

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = FX\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} = (E - F)Y$$

Define ##E_x = F## and ##E_y = E - F##. This leads to ##E = E_x + E_y## and

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = E_x X\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} = E_y Y$$

Method 2: Put E with the x-tern and define a third separation constant

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{Y} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} =
\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{1}{X} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} + E = G$$

This leads to the two separated equations

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} = GY\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = (E - G)X$$

Define ##E_y = G## and ##E_x = E - G##. This leads to ##E = E_x + E_y## and

$$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial y^2} = E_y Y\\
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial x^2} = E_x X$$

which are the same equations as in method 1.

Last edited:
okay of course. There's just one tiny thing that bothers me still - namely how do you determine if the constants are positive or negative? After all that has a lot to say for the final wave functions?

From the boundary condition that on the boundary of the square, the function is 0. If ##F## was negative, the equation for x would not longer have oscillatory solutions (equation of an harmonic oscillator) but would have exponentially rising solutions, which are non-zero everywhere and cannot satisfy ##X = 0## on the boundary.

1. What is the concept of "multiple dimensions" in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, multiple dimensions refer to the idea that there may be more than the three dimensions (length, width, and height) that we experience in our everyday lives. These additional dimensions are theorized in order to explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained by the three dimensions alone, such as the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics apply to multiple dimensions?

Quantum mechanics is a theory that describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. In multiple dimensions, quantum mechanics is used to explain how particles behave and interact in these additional dimensions, which may have different properties and laws than the three dimensions we are familiar with.

3. What are the potential implications of multiple dimensions in quantum mechanics?

The existence of multiple dimensions in quantum mechanics has potential implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could provide explanations for phenomena that are currently unexplained, such as the behavior of dark matter and dark energy. It could also lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as quantum computing.

4. How are scientists studying and researching multiple dimensions in quantum mechanics?

Scientists use various theoretical models and mathematical equations to study the behavior of particles in multiple dimensions. They also conduct experiments using advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators, to observe and measure the behavior of particles in these dimensions. Additionally, scientists are constantly testing and refining their theories through peer-reviewed research and collaboration with other experts in the field.

5. Is there any evidence to support the existence of multiple dimensions in quantum mechanics?

While there is currently no definitive evidence for the existence of multiple dimensions, there are some theories and experiments that suggest their possibility. For example, string theory, which is a popular theoretical framework in physics, proposes the existence of 11 dimensions. Additionally, certain experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, have shown results that can only be explained by the presence of multiple dimensions. However, further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and prove the existence of multiple dimensions in quantum mechanics.