Atmospheric Carbon Sequestration?

In summary: There are ways to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. In summary, the documentary Blind Spot by Josh Fox speaks about the pessimistic view of our energy usage and how we derive our energy. One thing that spoke to me was that people don't worry about climate change because "the smart people will find a solution." I've unconsciously held this attitude as well until I realized that I'm actually at the level where I could be and quite possibly am one of the "smart people" those people refer to. Being a "smart people" I feel somewhat obligated to try to, for lack of a better phrase, stop humanity from killing itself. If carbon sequestration could undo the damage that has been done and is being done,
denjay
I recently saw a documentary about our energy usage and how we derive our energy. Obviously it was a pessimistic viewpoint but I think it might actually be true (It's called Blind Spot, I recommend it). One thing about it that spoke to me was that people don't worry about climate change because "the smart people will find a solution." I've unconsciously held this attitude as well until I realized that I'm actually at the level where I could be and quite possibly am one of the "smart people" those people refer to. Being a "smart people" I feel somewhat obligated to try to, for lack of a better phrase, stop humanity from killing itself.

After a long conversation with some friends about how, in the oh so many ways, we are screwing ourselves my friend mentioned the idea of, if anything would stop the planet from becoming a death trap, it would be carbon sequestration. He then went on to say that with the stage that it's at now, it's almost hopeless. Almost.

So my question is: Is he right? Could carbon sequestration undo the damage that has been done and is being done? How likely/unlikely is it to become a feasible solution?

If it's not feasible, are there any other things that could save humanity?

Edit: Just realized I probably should have posted this in the 'Earth' section.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi denjay. Planting trees is atmospheric carbon sequestration. When the tree matures, it can be harvested and squirreled away so that its cellulose doesn't get broken down and carbon dioxide returned to the environment.

You could store the lumber under deep water or ice, or you could turn it into charcoal and store its carbon in that form. It is very tempting to use it for construction of buildings, but this would be, at best, only a temporary sequestration.

IIRC, a recent discovery that some crops manufacture microscopic grains of carbon around their roots suggests that growing and better managing particular food crops is a process that converts CO2 into inert C granules.

There is no reason to be pessimistic. The greatest contribution any individual can make towards the environment is to reduce our extravagance, waste, and consumption of most consumer goods & services.

It is not beyond us.

Last edited by a moderator:
denjay,
Climate change threatens all of us and our entire planet. Yes, carbon sequestration would certainly help diminish the threat. The below website gives real time measurements, causes of climate change and global warming, and world-wide effects.
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

We can all reduce climate change by doing our part to decrease the emission of heat-trapping gasses to the atmosphere. Read below to learn some more facts about climate change:
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/urgentissues/global-warming-climate-change/help/facts-about-climate-change.xml

Do not operate in a vacuum: there are many special interests, each with an agenda, who would distort scientific data to further their goals. Inform yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_global_warming

We need people like you to find ways to mitigate the emission of these heat-trapping gasses. We need innovative solutions that, for example, could remove some of the gasses already in our atmosphere. Perhaps you could help develop cost-effective alternate energy sources (clean and green). And more. Why can you not contribute to solving the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be very hard to remove the CO2 that has already been released into the atmosphere during the industrial age by burning fossil fuels. Over geological times, the carbon from decaying plant and animal matter was sequestered within the Earth in huge quantities, and we have been releasing all this carbon to the atmosphere. We couldn't plant enough crops and the Earth does not have enough land area to recover all that CO2 and re-bury the carbon. There are no significant chemical or physical sinks for CO2, so whatever has been released so far is going to stay in the atmosphere for many thousands of years. But, our big hope and challenge is that we can do something about decreasing and eliminating future releases.

Chestermiller said:
It would be very hard to remove the CO2 that has already been released into the atmosphere during the industrial age by burning fossil fuels. Over geological times, the carbon from decaying plant and animal matter was sequestered within the Earth in huge quantities, and we have been releasing all this carbon to the atmosphere. We couldn't plant enough crops and the Earth does not have enough land area to recover all that CO2 and re-bury the carbon. There are no significant chemical or physical sinks for CO2, so whatever has been released so far is going to stay in the atmosphere for many thousands of years. But, our big hope and challenge is that we can do something about decreasing and eliminating future releases.

You are right, it would be hard to remove the CO2 from the atmosphere. Hard does not equal impossible. I suggest we do not simply "slam the door" on the proposal. Maybe some innovative new idea could allow us to harvest some measurable quantity or scavenge enough to make some difference. How can anyone be so sure it could not be done in future?

Thread closed pending Moderation...

EDIT -- This thread has been moved to the Earth forum and will remain locked. We do not currently allow threads that discuss global warming. We wish we could, but we do not have a subject-matter expert on staff who can Mentor threads that discuss global warming.

Last edited:

What is atmospheric carbon sequestration?

Atmospheric carbon sequestration is the process of capturing and storing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere in order to reduce its concentration and mitigate the effects of climate change.

How does atmospheric carbon sequestration work?

There are a few different methods of atmospheric carbon sequestration, but the most common is through the use of carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology. This involves capturing carbon dioxide from industrial sources like power plants and storing it underground in geological formations.

What are the benefits of atmospheric carbon sequestration?

The main benefit of atmospheric carbon sequestration is its potential to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which can help mitigate the effects of climate change. It also allows for continued use of fossil fuels while reducing their impact on the environment.

What are the drawbacks of atmospheric carbon sequestration?

One of the main drawbacks of atmospheric carbon sequestration is the cost. CCS technology is still quite expensive and may not be financially feasible for all industries. There are also concerns about the long-term storage of carbon dioxide and the potential for leaks or other environmental impacts.

Is atmospheric carbon sequestration a sustainable solution?

Atmospheric carbon sequestration is not considered a long-term solution to reducing carbon emissions. It can help in the short term, but ultimately, transitioning to renewable energy sources and reducing overall carbon emissions is the most sustainable solution for mitigating climate change.