Solving Hexagon Area: Formula Troubles and Possible Solutions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a regular hexagon using a formula that involves the apothem. The person has derived and verified this formula, but is confused because they are getting slightly different results compared to other sources. However, after further discussion and calculations, it is clear that the formula is correct and the differences in results are due to rounding and approximations.
shadowboy13
I've found a formula for the area of a regular hexagon,but it seems to falter when i try to finds its area using the apothem sometimes,i know the formula is not wrong because i derived and verified it's authenticity so that can't be it.

I heard that by not utilizing the apothem formula, you may be off by a small decimal amount,which is what usually happens to me.

Does anyone know what i am talking about?

Im willing to provide an example and my formula if anyone has trouble understanding what I am talking about.

Thank you :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unless you provide more information, it is not clear what you are talking about. A given hexagon has only one area; your formula is correct or it isn't. BTW, you can determine the area of a hexagon (or any polygon) without necessarily using the apothem.

SteamKing said:
Unless you provide more information, it is not clear what you are talking about. A given hexagon has only one area; your formula is correct or it isn't. BTW, you can determine the area of a hexagon (or any polygon) without necessarily using the apothem.

Thank you mister:)

The formula is ##6x^2√3##, the only difference is that ##x## is half of a side length. (ex:6 is the side length, 3 is ##x##)

For example for a regular hexagon of side length 8 and apothem 7,I get 166.2768...,however in a entirely different youtube video this very same problem gets an area of EXACTLY 168 (using the apothem formula, that is).

That is the confusion that is making me question whether it's right or not.

shadowboy13 said:
For example for a regular hexagon of side length 8 and apothem 7 [...]

There is no such regular hexagon. With a side length 8, the apothem would be √48 ~= 6.928 and with apothem 7 the side length would be √(196/3) ~= 8.08

jbriggs444 said:
There is no such regular hexagon. With a side length 8, the apothem would be √48 ~= 6.928 and with apothem 7 the side length would be √(196/3) ~= 8.08

Thank you :)

Don't know why several videos on youtube have been mentioning that those sort of hexagons are "regular" but whatever.

Thanks again :)

Without URLs for these videos, it is hard to check them out.

SteamKing said:
Without URLs for these videos, it is hard to check them out.

That's on the very first page of list results mind you, so i wasn't scavenging for results, the fact that the person in that video said that it was a regular hexagon is what got me confused, because like i said, my formula clearly works.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's almost amusing. As jbriggs444 said, a hexagon with side length 8 would have apothegm of slightly greater than 6.9. Clearly, that has been rounded to "7" but that should have been said. And the area, as given in that video is only approximate although, again, that is not said.

One can calculate, more generally, that if a polygon has n sides, then drawing lines from the center to each vertex divides it into n triangles, each with central angle [itex]\frac{2\pi}{n}[/itex] the altitude of each triangle, an apothegm of the polygon, gives a right triangle with one leg the apothegm, the other leg half a side, and angle [itex]\frac{\pi}{n}[/itex]. So taking "a" to be the length of the apothegm and "s" the length of a side, [itex]\frac{s/2}{a}= tan(\pi/n)[/itex] so that [itex]a= s/(2 tan(\pi/n))[/itex].

In particular, a hexagon with side length 8 has [itex]a= 4/tan(\pi/6)= 4/\sqrt{3}= 6.9282...[/itex]

The "area of the octagon" calculation is, similarly, an approximation.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
In particular, a hexagon with side length 8 has [itex]a= 4/tan(\pi/6)= 4/\sqrt{3}= 6.9282...[/itex]

Nitpick on error in intermediate step...

[itex]tan(\pi/6)=1/\sqrt{3}[/itex]

so

[itex]4/tan(\pi/6)=4\sqrt{3}=6.9282...[/itex]

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a hexagon?

The formula for finding the area of a hexagon is A = (3√3/2) x s², where A is the area and s is the length of one side of the hexagon.

2. How many sides does a hexagon have?

A hexagon has six sides.

3. Can a hexagon have equal angles?

Yes, a regular hexagon has six equal angles of 120 degrees each. However, an irregular hexagon may have unequal angles.

4. How is the area of a hexagon related to its perimeter?

The area of a hexagon is directly proportional to its perimeter. This means that as the perimeter increases, the area also increases.

5. How is the area of a hexagon different from other shapes?

The area of a hexagon is different from other shapes because it has a unique formula for finding its area. Unlike squares or triangles, the formula for finding the area of a hexagon involves a square root and a trigonometric function. Additionally, a hexagon has six sides, which is more than most other common shapes.