Am I conscious of my prefrontal cortex or is my prefrontal cortex me?

by Johninch
Tags: conscious, cortex, prefrontal
Pythagorean
Feb11-14, 09:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
Quote Quote by .Scott View Post
Given that the mechanism at the foundation of human consciousness is apparently so sophisticated that we have yet to incorporate it in a computer, what would it take, based on Darwinian economics, for such a mechanism to persist in any species?
I don't see how one really has bearing on the other, myself.
.Scott
Feb11-14, 10:02 PM
P: 420
Wouldn't you expect any useless mechanism, such as feet on a whale or tales on people, to be lost threw atavism?

There's another more subtle point. We know that consciousness can affect our behavior because we talk about it. Would you suggest that this affect is useless?
Evo
Feb11-14, 10:15 PM
Mentor
P: 25,924
Wouldn't you expect any useless mechanism, such as feet on a whale or tales on people, to be lost threw atavism?

There's another more subtle point. We know that consciousness can affect our behavior because we talk about it. Would you suggest that this affect is useless?
Let's stay on topic, please.
Pythagorean
Feb11-14, 10:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
Atavism is the return of lost traits. I'm not really sure what you're talking about in your first sentence. I was just saying that human ability to simulate something doesn't really imply anything about the "Darwinian economics" of the thing.

There is some scientific literature that discusses the correlations and proposes causality between consciousnesses and function/cognition:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...10027700001232
.Scott
Feb11-14, 10:33 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Let's stay on topic, please.
Yes.
Regarding the second question in the OP:
Quote Quote by Johninch View Post
Which circumstances show me that I have a 'consciousness' function?
Although it may not be clear what the overall function of consciousness is, we know it can ultimately have some affect on behavior - because we talk about it and that's behavior.
Of course, talking about it is probably not the full effect on our behavior. Whatever that full affect is must be useful or it would soon be extinguished threw atavism.

Since questions like this come up routinely, we should pin a consciousness topic that addresses the biological and behavioral aspects of it.
Evo
Feb11-14, 10:52 PM
Mentor
Regarding the second question in the OP:Although it may not be clear what the overall function of consciousness is, we know it can ultimately have some affect on behavior - because we talk about it and that's behavior.
We talk about smelly feet too. Talking about it means nothing, I have no idea what you are trying to say about the significance of talking about it.
Evo
Feb11-14, 10:59 PM
Mentor
Posts that are opinion and stray from scientific studies in accepted journals will be deleted.
.Scott
Feb11-14, 11:06 PM
We talk about smelly feet too. Talking about it means nothing, I have no idea what you are trying to say about the significance of talking about it.
The fact that we talk about smelly feet demonstrates that our sense of smell can affect our behavior. Talking about the smell may not be the most important affect it has on our behavior, but it demonstrates the potential.
Since no one really challenges the functionality of smelling, demonstrating such a small affect of smelling is not important. But many people do get to the point on wondering whether consciousness is really doing something - if it is really causing anything to happen with us. So highlighting this trivial example of an affect on behavior establishes that consciousness has at least a minimal influence.
Evo
Feb11-14, 11:14 PM
Mentor
The fact that we talk about smelly feet demonstrates that our sense of smell can affect our behavior. Talking about the smell may not be the most important affect it has on our behavior, but it demonstrates the potential.
Since no one really challenges the functionality of smelling, demonstrating such a small affect of smelling is not important. But many people do get to the point on wondering whether consciousness is really doing something - if it is really causing anything to happen with us. So highlighting this trivial example of an affect on behavior establishes that consciousness has at least a minimal influence.
Ok, but that's not the topic of the thread, so anything posted going forward has to be about the topic and backed with studies in acceptable journals.
.Scott
Feb11-14, 11:20 PM
Posts that are opinion and stray from scientific studies in accepted journals will be deleted.
I think that the specific guideline that makes this topic very difficult to address is this one:
Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
To the extent I can, I'm trying to keep to arguments and away from "theory".
Another part of the problem is information processing is more of a technology issue than a scientific one.
Evo
Feb11-14, 11:35 PM
Mentor
I think that the specific guideline that makes this topic very difficult to address is this one:To the extent I can, I'm trying to keep to arguments and away from "theory".
Another part of the problem is information processing is more of a technology issue than a scientific one.
The guidelines are vague to keep them short, trust me when I specify what will fly in this thread.

You will notice that all respondents to the OP in this thread, except you, cited proper sources for what they posted, that is how we do things in this forum. Since you sincerely seem to want to do the right thing, please follow the examples.

Register to reply