Dinosaur Watching: Reptiles Making Unusual Noises

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: So he started chanting and praying to the eland.In summary, the Discovery Channel show about dinosaurs was interesting, but the second show, about early man, was ridiculous. The show did a poor job of distinguishing between archaic and modern humans, and the presenter's speculation about religion was anthropocentric and unsubstantiated.
tribdog
I'm watching this Discovery channel show about dinosaurs and all of them are growling and squeeking and honking and barking and they are being called reptiles. Aren't reptiles pretty quiet for the most part?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I'm watching this Discovery channel show about dinosaurs and all of them are growling and squeeking and honking and barking and they are being called reptiles. Aren't reptiles pretty quiet for the most part?
Reptiles, some of them, can hiss, but that's about it. The ones around here get your attention by banging pots and pans together.

I thought dinosaurs weren't reptiles? Or maybe I'm talking nonsense? I really need a nap.

tribdog said:
I think dinosaurs are closer to amphbians then reptiles

rachmaninoff said:
I thought dinosaurs weren't reptiles? Or maybe I'm talking nonsense? I really need a nap.
The show wasn't about dinosaurs but the proto-reptiles that preceeded and evolved into dinosaurs (and also later reptiles, I'm sure).

After that show the Discovery Channel switched the subject to early man. For the past hour it's been a bunch of people in makeup acting out some idiot's speculation about how religion might have gotten started, how everything might have gotten started for that matter. The people who direct these shows always think that early man was some kind of loudmouth, hyperexitable, clumsy lout, who pronounces every word slowly and tentatively as if it's the first time they've ever pronounced it. This is their way of indicating these people were dumber than us.

They wouldn't have survived if they were like that. They were most assuredly quiet, softspoken, and physically agile.

tribdog said:

well, the otherwise option will lead to bad rating, so most likely they will make some noises

Like if all the space scenes in Star Wars were silent.

Mk said:
Like if all the space scenes in Star Wars were silent.

Then they'd have to replace the actors with mimes.

Crocodiles hum.

arildno said:
Crocodiles hum.
don't know the words?

tribdog said:
don't know the words?
Some have kazoos.

Evo said:
Some have kazoos.
No Harmonicas? Oh right... lips...

I used to have a harmonica. I could pick out tunes, slowly and poorly, but I have no idea how good harmonica players do it. I think good harmonica players are as talented as any symphonic musician.

arildno said:
Crocodiles hum.
Yes the crocodilians as a group are rather http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/images/!amis4b.wav" .
But for the best cold-blooded callers, check out these http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/topics/frogCalls.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
After that show the Discovery Channel switched the subject to early man.

I think I was watching those same two shows. The first one was pretty interesting, but I have to agree, the second one seemed pretty ridiculous. I find it hard to imagine that their ramblings about beauty, spirituality, and art were anything more than anthropocentric speculation.

SpaceTiger said:
I think I was watching those same two shows. The first one was pretty interesting, but I have to agree, the second one seemed pretty ridiculous. I find it hard to imagine that their ramblings about beauty, spirituality, and art were anything more than anthropocentric speculation.
That's what really bothered me. It was clearly speculation, but they presented it as fact, as if someone had scientifically determined all the scenarios were what actually happened. I was also bothered by the fact they didn't ever seem to distinguish between archaic homo sapiens and sapiens sapiens. It gave the false impression that modern man goes much farther back than he does.

They claimed that humans did not have religion until a girl who was sick groaned at the same time an animal died. Thus making them think some sort of reincarnation took place.
I thought that was a bit too much of a stretch to actually claim as fact.

tribdog said:
They claimed that humans did not have religion until a girl who was sick groaned at the same time an animal died. Thus making them think some sort of reincarnation took place.
No, you've got to be kidding. I am so glad I missed that, I stopped watching the dinosaur show because the poor things were being killed. :frown:

Evo said:
No, you've got to be kidding. I am so glad I missed that, I stopped watching the dinosaur show because the poor things were being killed. :frown:
It was actually worse than tribdog described. A mother and daughter were struck by lightning. The mother was killed and the daughter knocked unconscious. Nearby was some sort of eland sort of animal. Since it was just sort of standing there, some of the men speared it. Just as it dies the little girl came to. One idiot, the first shaman, apparently, decided that the life that had left the animal had gone into the girl and restored her. He skinned the animal and laid the skin on the mother, hoping to restore her as well, but it didn't work. Still though, the practise of trying to control the forces of nature through magic had begun.

The main trouble was that instead of saying "Here's the sort of coincidence that might have given people the idea of spirits/magic, they just presented the whole thing as if it'd been recorded as fact on a stone carving, or something.

They asserted without qualification that the Neanderthals had lost to the Cro-Magnons in competition for food and shelter, and had thus died out, when that is just one train of speculation on the matter. It's pretty absurd to say we know anything about Neanderthals. They've only found the remains of 80 individuals and those span something like 130,000 years.

zoobyshoe said:
It was actually worse than tribdog described. A mother and daughter were struck by lightning. The mother was killed and the daughter knocked unconscious. Nearby was some sort of eland sort of animal. Since it was just sort of standing there, some of the men speared it. Just as it dies the little girl came to. One idiot, the first shaman, apparently, decided that the life that had left the animal had gone into the girl and restored her. He skinned the animal and laid the skin on the mother, hoping to restore her as well, but it didn't work. Still though, the practise of trying to control the forces of nature through magic had begun.
The main trouble was that instead of saying "Here's the sort of coincidence that might have given people the idea of spirits/magic, they just presented the whole thing as if it'd been recorded as fact on a stone carving, or something.
They asserted without qualification that the Neanderthals had lost to the Cro-Magnons in competition for food and shelter, and had thus died out, when that is just one train of speculation on the matter. It's pretty absurd to say we know anything about Neanderthals. They've only found the remains of 80 individuals and those span something like 130,000 years.
Arrrggghhhh! :yuck: That's why I don't watch that stuff. :grumpy:

1. What is "Dinosaur Watching: Reptiles Making Unusual Noises" about?

"Dinosaur Watching: Reptiles Making Unusual Noises" is a scientific study that explores the vocalizations of dinosaurs and other reptiles. The research focuses on unusual noises that these animals may have made and what those noises could have meant.

2. How did scientists study the vocalizations of dinosaurs?

The scientists analyzed fossil evidence and studied the anatomy of modern-day reptiles to make educated guesses about the vocal capabilities of dinosaurs. They also used computer simulations and acoustic analysis to recreate and study the potential sounds that dinosaurs could have made.

3. What did the researchers discover about dinosaur vocalizations?

The researchers found that dinosaurs likely had a wide range of vocalizations, including low-frequency calls and high-pitched sounds. They also discovered that some dinosaurs may have used their vocalizations for communication, while others may have used them for defense or other purposes.

4. Were dinosaur vocalizations similar to those of modern-day reptiles?

While there is no way to know for sure, the researchers believe that dinosaur vocalizations were likely similar to those of modern-day reptiles. However, due to differences in anatomy and evolution, there may have been some unique vocalizations specific to dinosaurs.

5. Why is studying dinosaur vocalizations important?

Studying dinosaur vocalizations can provide valuable insight into the behavior and communication of these ancient animals. It can also help us better understand the evolution of vocalization in reptiles and other animals. Additionally, this research can help us recreate and understand the sounds of prehistoric environments.