Will human beings destroy the earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of human beings destroying the Earth and their own civilization in 200 years. While the idea of humans destroying the planet seems unlikely, the participants also consider the impact of global climate change and potential use of weapons on major population centers. Some scientists suggest that the greenhouse effect could lead to a man-made ice age through changes in ocean currents caused by melting glaciers.
Sprinter
Do you think, in 200 years time, will human beings destroy the Earth and their own civilization?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Life in 200 years would be like the Jetsons. :biggrin:

I don't see how humans could even possibly destroy the earth, unless they develop a weapon so powerful it would knock the Earth out of its orbit and into the sun. Now, humans being present on the planet...that's an entirely different story.

I don't see how humans could even possibly destroy the earth

They possibly could.

[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]

I think the time for it being likely for humans to destroy ourselves has passed.

ranger said:
They possibly could.
[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]
That's why I put in the "unless..."

Nope...

Destroy ourselves completely? Nope. Unless an asteroid or comet takes us out, I think it's a question of the quality of life, not whether or not humanity will survive. Global climate change will probably wreak havoc [if it isn't already], and I suspect that a few nukes, and probably some biological or chemical weapons will be used on major population centers, but life will go on.

I saw a thing last night where some scientists think the greenhouse effect is going to lead to a man made ice age. The increased temperature will lead to melting of glaciers which will lead to a drop in the salinity of the oceans. This will screw up a certain current in the oceans that carries warm water from the equator to northern climes. It redistributes the equitorial heat northward and depends somehow on the right amount of salinity. They've already detected a drop in the salinity of this heat conveyer.

1. Will human beings destroy the earth?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the actions we take as a species. However, human activities such as pollution, deforestation, and overconsumption of resources are contributing to environmental degradation and potential destruction of the earth's ecosystems.

2. What are the main threats to the earth's survival caused by human beings?

Some of the main threats include climate change, loss of biodiversity, depletion of natural resources, and pollution of land, water, and air. These issues are interconnected and have a direct impact on the health and stability of our planet.

3. Can we prevent the destruction of the earth?

It is possible to prevent or minimize the destruction of the earth through collective action and implementing sustainable practices. This includes reducing our carbon footprint, conserving natural resources, and protecting biodiversity through responsible and ethical practices.

4. How much time do we have to save the earth?

The timeline for saving the earth is constantly changing and is difficult to predict. However, the longer we delay taking action, the more challenging and costly it will be to mitigate the effects of human activity on the planet. It is important to act as soon as possible to prevent irreversible damage.

5. What can I do as an individual to help save the earth?

As an individual, you can make a positive impact by reducing your carbon footprint, using renewable energy, conserving water, supporting sustainable businesses, and making environmentally conscious consumer choices. It is also important to educate yourself and others about environmental issues and advocate for change on a larger scale.