Acid and Base Equilibrium Question

In summary, the student titrated ascorbic acid with a base to determine the molecular weight and the ionization constant. The equivalence point was reached when 35.23 milliliters of the base had been added. Under the conditions of this experiment, ascorbic acid acts as a monoprotic acid.
erik-the-red
1) In an experiment to determine the molecular weight and the ionization constant for ascorbic acid (vitamin C), a student dissolved 1.3717 grams of the acid in water to make 50.00 milliliters of solution. The entire solution was titrated with a 0.2211-molar NaOH solution. The pH was monitored throughout the titration. The equivalence point was reached when 35.23 milliliters of the base had been added. Under the conditions of this experiment, ascorbic acid acts as a monoprotic acid that can be represented as HA.

(a) From the information above, calculate the molecular weight of ascorbic acid.

(b) When 20.00 milliliters of NaOH had been added during the titration, the pH of the solution was 4.23. Calculate the acid ionization constant for ascorbic acid.

(c) Calculate the equilibrium constant for the reaction of the ascorbate ion, A¯, with water.

(d) Calculate the pH of the solution at the equivalence point of the titration.

This was an AP Chemistry question in 1989.

I had no problems doing the first part. At the equivalence point, the number of moles of acid is equal the number of moles of base. I used this relationship to find out the number of moles, and grams / moles = molecular weight.

I have problems with part b, which consequently affects the correct answer to part c and d.

Because the pH is 4.23, I know the hydrogen ion concentration must be [tex]10^{-4.23}[/tex]. I know that the equilibrium expression is [tex]K_a = \frac{(A^{-})(H^{+})}{HA}[/tex]. So, I know the numerator is [tex](10^{-4.23})^2[/tex]. But, what is the denominator?

Physics news on Phys.org
you should be able to use the henderson-hasselbach equation (assuming this is a buffer region), the sole information that you need now is the ratio of the acid and its conjugate base. You know how much base was added, and thus you should easily be able to calculate how much of the acid had reacted as well as how much of its conjugate base was produced.

this is easy.
use your ICE table to find the equilibrium concentration. then just minus off the concentration of H+ ions that reacted. you should get your concentration of ascorbic acid at equilibrium.

ZELEZNY said:
this is easy.
use your ICE table to find the equilibrium concentration. then just minus off the concentration of H+ ions that reacted. you should get your concentration of ascorbic acid at equilibrium.

I appreciate your solution, but I'm surprised that you were able to find this thread, since I created it last year when I was in AP Chemistry.

Speaking of which, damn - that was a long time ago :bugeye:

This has to be the first time I've seen someone return after several months to respond to a necropost on a really old thread.

Damn!

Gokul43201 said:
This has to be the first time I've seen someone return after several months to respond to a necropost on a really old thread.

Damn!

Had I not checked "e-mail notification," I would never have known.

Gokul43201 said:

Damn!

'Necropost'... I love it!

(it is typically done by first time posters)

Welcome to the Forum, ZELEZNY!

What is acid and base equilibrium?

Acid and base equilibrium refers to the balance between the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. This balance is important in determining the acidity or basicity of a solution, and is governed by the equilibrium constant and the strength of the acid or base.

What is the difference between a strong acid/base and a weak acid/base?

A strong acid or base is one that completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of the molecules are broken apart into ions. A weak acid or base, on the other hand, only partially dissociates in water, meaning that some of the molecules remain intact. This difference in dissociation affects the strength and concentration of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in a solution.

How does changing the concentration of an acid or base affect equilibrium?

Changing the concentration of an acid or base causes a shift in the equilibrium of the solution. This shift depends on the strength of the acid or base, as well as the concentration and volume of the solution. Increasing the concentration of an acid or base will shift the equilibrium towards the opposite side, while decreasing the concentration will shift it back towards the original side.

What is the pH scale and how is it related to acid and base equilibrium?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Acids have a pH below 7, while bases have a pH above 7. The pH is related to acid and base equilibrium through the concentration of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in the solution. A higher concentration of hydrogen ions results in a lower pH, indicating a stronger acid, while a higher concentration of hydroxide ions results in a higher pH, indicating a stronger base.

How is acid and base equilibrium important in everyday life?

Acid and base equilibrium is important in many everyday processes, such as digestion, cleaning, and maintaining the pH balance of our blood. It also plays a role in industrial processes, such as manufacturing chemicals and pharmaceuticals. Understanding acid and base equilibrium is crucial in maintaining the health and functioning of our bodies and the environment.