Emf + Internal Resistance of Battery

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem that involves finding the emf and internal resistance of a battery. The suggested method is to use the fact that the voltage across the battery is equal to the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor, and then use the current to find an equation relating the emf and internal resistance. Another method is to use the voltage across the 5 and 10 ohm resistors to create two equations with two unknowns, which can be solved to find the emf and internal resistance.
twiztidmxcn
These circuit questions seem to give me so many problems, this question in particular.

What are the emf and internal resistance of the battery in the figure below?

emfinternal.jpg

I have the answers, that emf is 9V and internal resistance is 0.5 ohms, however I'm having problems getting there.

What I did was first treat the two outside resistors as being in parallel and found their equivalent resistance

1 / R eq = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 = 1/5 + 1/10, Req = 10/3

So then the internal resistance and that new Req are in series, so Req = r + 10/3 ohms.

Now, I come to my problem. I assumed that when the switch is open, all the current is running through the ammeter and the 5ohm resistor. Using V=IR, I solved for V and found it to be 7.825. Knowing that resistors in parallel have the same voltage, i knew that V1 = V2, so I1R1=I2R2, solved for I2 and found it to be 0.7825A.

Now having a current and the resistance of the outside resistor, i know that I = emf / R + r. I am stuck as to where to go now, how to find emf and r.

I also know that V = emf - IR. I tried to use this equation and the one above to solve down for emf or r using systems of equations but continually find myself cancelling both out with nothing to solve for. yes, it turns out emf does = emf.

Any help in the right direction would be awesome

thx
twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
twiztidmxcn said:
These circuit questions seem to give me so many problems, this question in particular.

emfinternal.jpg

I have the answers, that emf is 9V and internal resistance is 0.5 ohms, however I'm having problems getting there.

What I did was first treat the two outside resistors as being in parallel and found their equivalent resistance

So then the internal resistance and that new Req are in series, so Req = r + 10/3 ohms.

Now, I come to my problem. I assumed that when the switch is open, all the current is running through the ammeter and the 5ohm resistor. Using V=IR, I solved for V and found it to be 7.825. Knowing that resistors in parallel have the same voltage, i knew that V1 = V2, so I1R1=I2R2, solved for I2 and found it to be 0.7825A.
This is confusing.. what R did you use? You are working with the switch open, right? Then R2 is not connected at all so you should not use the 10/3 you found earlier! The total resistance is 5 + r. Using the current given, you can find an equation relating the emf E and r.

But the best way to proceed is to use the following fact: the voltage across the battery is E- Ir and this is the voltage applied to the 5 ohms, E-I r = I R_1. This gives you one equation containing two unknowns: r and E.

Then repeat the process with the switch closed. As far as I can tell, you can actually solve the problem without ever using the value of ten ohms!

PAtrick

twiztidmxcn said:

emfinternal.jpg

Now having a current and the resistance of the outside resistor, i know that I = emf / R + r. I am stuck as to where to go now, how to find emf and r.

I also know that V = emf - IR. I tried to use this equation and the one above to solve down for emf or r using systems of equations but continually find myself cancelling both out with nothing to solve for. yes, it turns out emf does = emf.
The voltage across the 5 ohm resistor when the switch is open is IR = 1.636 x 5 = 8.18 V, so E + 1.636r = 8.18 V.

When the switch is closed, we know the voltage across the 10 ohm and 5 ohm resistor is the same so the current through the 5 ohm resistor will be twice the current through the 10 ohm. So the total current is 1.565 + .5 x 1.565 A. This is the current through the battery. What is the voltage across the 5 and 10 ohm resistor? What is the voltage drop across r?

So now you have two equations with two unknowns E and r. That should be solvable.

AM

Last edited:
nrqed said:
This is confusing.. what R did you use? You are working with the switch open, right? Then R2 is not connected at all so you should not use the 10/3 you found earlier! The total resistance is 5 + r. Using the current given, you can find an equation relating the emf E and r.

But the best way to proceed is to use the following fact: the voltage across the battery is E- Ir and this is the voltage applied to the 5 ohms, E-I r = I R_1. This gives you one equation containing two unknowns: r and E.

Then repeat the process with the switch closed. As far as I can tell, you can actually solve the problem without ever using the value of ten ohms!

PAtrick

Oops, my mistake: You *do* need the value of the 10 ohms. For the case of the close switch, you find the voltage across the 5 ohms using the current they give you and multiplying by 5. Then, this is equal to E- Ir (the voltage across the battery) but the current there is the total current. As Andrew mentioned, it is easy to find the total current flowing out of the battery. The current flowing through the 10 ohms will be half the current flowing through the 5 ohms. So the total current flowing out of the battery is 1.5 times the current they are giving you. So you end up with

When the switch is closed: E - 1.5 * I_g r = R_1 I_g wher I_g= is the current given to you in the question.

PAtrick

Likes kamhogo
thx for the help

turns out i had most of what i needed, but had a couple numbers switched around and for some reason was just using systems of equations rather than doing actual math and not being a dumb ass

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, and it is the amount of energy per unit charge that is generated by a battery or other source of electrical energy. In simpler terms, it is the voltage produced by a battery.

What is internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery is the resistance to the flow of electric current within the battery itself. It is caused by the resistance of the battery's components, such as the electrolyte and electrodes, and can affect the battery's overall performance.

How does internal resistance affect a battery's performance?

Internal resistance can cause a battery to lose energy to heat, limiting its ability to deliver a strong and steady current. This can result in a decrease in the battery's voltage and overall performance, especially when the battery is under high load.

How can I measure the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be measured by using a multimeter and performing a voltage drop test. This involves measuring the voltage of the battery under both open circuit and closed circuit conditions, and then using the difference in voltage to calculate the internal resistance.

Can the internal resistance of a battery be reduced?

While the internal resistance of a battery is inherent to its design and cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance for the battery's components, and by using techniques such as cooling to reduce the heat generated by the battery's internal resistance.