Isomorphic: D6 and G Comparison | Proof and Elements Listed

• Thread starter mikki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the 6th dihedral group D6 and the groups G=Z2xZ2 and G=Z4, and whether they are isomorphic to D6. The elements of D6 are given as e, a, a^2, a^3, a^4, a^4, a^5, b, ab, a^2b, a^3b, a^4b, a^5b, with the relation a^6=b^2=e and ba^i for all i in Z. The conversation also mentions listing the elements of G if they are isomorphic to D6, or proving that no such subgroups exist if they are not is
mikki
The 6th dihedral group is as follows:

D6={e, a, a^2, a^3, a^4, a^4, a^5, b, ab, a^2b, a^3b, a^4b, a^5b}
where a^6=b^2=e abd ba^i for all i in Z. Now I need to show whether D6 is isomorphic to G:
Here are G:

G= Z2 X Z2
G=Z4

if they are isomorphic I need to list the elements if they are not I need to prove that no such subgroups exists.

so here it goes:
G= Z2 X Z2= {e, a, a^2, b, ab, a^2b}// is this the right list because if it is it's isomorphic to D6. I'm not sure about this but I know that G= Z2 X Z2 is isomorphic to Z8.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to look for subgroups of D6 which are isomorphic to Z2 X Z2 or Z4? Because clearly D6 itself isn't isomorphic to either, since it has order 12 while these each have order 4.

mikki said:
G= Z2 X Z2= {e, a, a^2, b, ab, a^2b}// is this the right list because if it is it's isomorphic to D6. I'm not sure about this but I know that G= Z2 X Z2 is isomorphic to Z8.

I don't know what you mean here. Z2 X Z2 is isomorphic to neither D6 nor Z8, by order arguments alone (the groups have order 4, 12, and 8 respectively.) Also, the set you mention is not a subgroup of D6, as it is not closed under the group operation. Start of by trying to list all the subgroups of D6.

Last edited:
Given the elements of D6 I'm supposed to state whether z2xz2 and/or Z4 is isomorphic to D6. If none, then I'm supposed to prove why they are not. Hope this is clearer. Isn't the list that I have right for D6?

As I said, the answer is clearly no, since the groups have different numbers of elements. An isomorphism is first and foremost a bijection, and so any isomorphic groups must have the same number of elements.

Ok, so How do I start the prove that neither one is not isomorphic to D6.

I've already explained the answer. Isomorphic groups must have the same number of elements, and these groups do not. What part is confusing you?

But I did find a list of elements for part a that are isomorphic to D6 here's the list:
{e, a, a^3, b}

That is a proper subset of D6, so it cannot be isomorphic to it. Did you mean to say it is isomorphic to Z2XZ2 or Z4? The problem is, that isn't a group, because it isn't closed under the group operation (for example, a*a=a^2, but a^2 does not belong to the set). An example of subgroup of D6 is the set {e,a,a^2,a^3,a^4,a^5}, because the product of any elements of this set is another element of the set, and the inverse of any element in the set is in the set. Are you having trouble understanding what a subgroup is?

I'm still unclear on what your question is. Are you trying to prove D6 is not isomorphic to either Z2XZ2 or Z4? If so, the order argument I've mentioned suffices, but I can expand on this if you still don't understand it. If not, please be clearer about what you're asking.

1. What does "isomorphic" mean in the context of this phrase?

Isomorphic refers to the state of having the same form or structure. In this context, it likely refers to the idea of something being identical or equivalent in some way.

2. How can I help with "Isomorphic: Please Help"?

There are a few ways you can help with this phrase. One way is by trying to understand the context in which it is being used and offering your thoughts or insights. Another way is by asking for clarification or more information to better understand the situation.

3. Is "Isomorphic: Please Help" a common phrase in the scientific community?

No, this phrase is not commonly used in the scientific community. It is more likely to be found in a specific context or situation, rather than being a common scientific phrase.

4. Can you provide an example of when "Isomorphic: Please Help" might be used?

One example could be in a research setting, where a scientist is trying to replicate an experiment or study and needs assistance with the process. They might use this phrase to ask for help from their colleagues or peers.

5. What skills or knowledge might be useful in understanding "Isomorphic: Please Help"?

Having a background in mathematics, computer science, or systems theory could be helpful in understanding the concept of isomorphism. Additionally, having strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills could be useful in deciphering the meaning behind this phrase.