Question about my short circuit argument

In summary, Claude argued with a friend and they disagreed about what a short circuit is. They eventually came to a consensus that it is a connection with a very low resistance. When they touched the wires together, they felt heat because of the current flow.
Noesis
So I had an argument with a friend, more like a discussion where we disagreed.

It led to some interesting questions, or at least they are to me.

I made a simple electromagnet using a battery, a nail, and an insulated copper wire wrapped around the nail many times with the ends of the copper wire being bare and connected to the battery terminals.

Now we finally agreed that this was a short circuit...but what the hell does that really mean? So what if you connect the two terminals on a battery?

Now he said the heat that I felt on my fingers, since my fingers were holding the bare ends of the wire to the terminals (I had a glove on), were simply because heat was produced from the short circuit. I told him the heat was definitely due to resistance.

What's the truth? Are we both right?

So to sum it up, what was the true cause of the heat and what on Earth does a short circuit mean?

Similar question about the short circuit, why is it that when you put a (+) and (-) end of a live wire (used to do this all the time with a battery charger), that it sparks or just goes berserk?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are multiple definitions of a short-circuit, most of which are covered by the wikipedia link.

An ideal short circuit is simply a zero-resistance connection between two nodes of a circuit. In practice though you rarely have zero resistance - thus connections which have a very low resistance are referred to as short circuits also, as they closely approximate an ideal short circuit.

The reason you are feeling heat is because a low resistance connection will draw a large current. Because the wires have a small, but finite resistance, they will generate heat due to the current flow.

The sparking you see with the live wire is due to the potential difference between the wire and Earth (or ground). If the potential is high enough, or the distance between the wire and Earth is small enough, the electric field becomes strong enough to start ripping electrons from the air molecules. This causes a temporary conductive path to form and charge will flow between the wire and Earth causing the spark (or arc).

Claude.

1. What is a short circuit argument?

A short circuit argument is a logical fallacy in which a conclusion is reached without properly considering all available evidence or alternative explanations. It relies on oversimplification and ignores complex factors that may affect the outcome.

2. How can I avoid making a short circuit argument?

To avoid making a short circuit argument, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all available evidence, including alternative explanations and counterarguments. It is also helpful to approach the topic with an open mind and be willing to revise your conclusions based on new information.

3. Is a short circuit argument always incorrect?

No, a short circuit argument is not always incorrect. In some cases, it may lead to a valid conclusion. However, it is generally considered a flawed method of reasoning and can be easily refuted by considering all available evidence.

4. What are some common examples of short circuit arguments?

Some common examples of short circuit arguments include assuming that correlation equals causation, oversimplifying complex issues, and relying on personal biases rather than factual evidence. It can also manifest in the form of black-and-white thinking, where only two extreme options are considered without acknowledging any middle ground.

5. How can I identify a short circuit argument?

One way to identify a short circuit argument is to look for oversimplification or a lack of consideration for alternative explanations. This can also be accompanied by a reliance on personal biases or a failure to thoroughly examine all available evidence. Additionally, a short circuit argument may have a clear and narrow conclusion that does not take into account the complexities of the issue at hand.