Proving a Limit Using Delta-Epsilon Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity using the delta-epsilon definition. The speaker is struggling with setting their N value and converting the equation to |f(x)-L|<Epsilon. The others suggest using calculus and alternate methods to solve the problem. It is also mentioned that the point of a math class is to learn math and to be able to back up intuition with rigor.
bluevires
Hey guys

I'm having trouble proving this limit using delta-epsilon definition
I would appreciate some help if possible

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \arctan(x)=\frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]

I know that in order for the statement to be true,
Assuming
Epislon>0
Then |f(x)-L|<Epsilon for x> N

but i havn't had much experience working with trignometric functions, so I don't know how should I set my N equals to, and how could I convert that to |f(x)-L|< Epsilon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to use a delta-epsilon definition to solve your problem? Just thinking about the graph of arctan(x) the answer is obvious what happens as x approaches infinity. It seems like a stupid question if you can just come up with the answer in a couple second.

Mindscrape said:
It seems like a stupid question if you can just come up with the answer in a couple second.
The point of a calculus class is to learn calculus. If you can't use calculus to compute something "obvious", then how are you going to use calculus to compute something that isn't "obvious"? :tongue:

bluevires -- why not simply solve the inequality

[tex]| \arctan x - \pi / 2 | < \epsilon[/tex]

for x, to figure out what you should use for N?

Yeah, but the point of any math class should be to allow for any viable method to be used, and for math to be open.

Mindscrape said:
Yeah, but the point of any math class should be to allow for any viable method to be used, and for math to be open.
No, the point of a math class is to learn math.

Learning to use alternate methods is certainly a part of math, and is a good thing, but using alternate methods at the expense of learning the subject you're supposed to be learning is bad.

(I often advise doing the same problem multiple ways, if you can!)

And, a big part of mathematics is being able to back up your intuition with rigor when appropriate -- it was intuition that told you what the value of the limit should be, but what if someone didn't have as much faith in your intuition? (e.g. a co-worker... a teacher... your boss...)

thank you hurkyl, problem solved.

1. What is the Delta-Epsilon Definition?

The Delta-Epsilon Definition is a mathematical method used to prove the limit of a function. It involves finding a value for delta (Δ) that corresponds to a given value for epsilon (ε), and showing that for all values of x within a certain distance (delta) of the limit point, the function's output is within a certain distance (epsilon) of the limit value.

2. Why is the Delta-Epsilon Definition important?

The Delta-Epsilon Definition is important because it provides a rigorous and formal way to prove the limit of a function. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to prove many important theorems and properties, such as the continuity of a function.

3. How do you use the Delta-Epsilon Definition to prove a limit?

To prove a limit using the Delta-Epsilon Definition, you first set up the definition by stating that for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (Δ) such that the function's output is within epsilon distance of the limit value for all values of x within delta distance of the limit point. Then, you use algebraic and geometric techniques to manipulate the function and find a suitable value for delta that corresponds to the given epsilon value.

4. What are some common challenges when using the Delta-Epsilon Definition?

One common challenge when using the Delta-Epsilon Definition is finding the right value for delta that satisfies the definition. This can require some algebraic and geometric manipulation, and may be difficult for complex functions. Another challenge is understanding how to properly apply the definition to different types of limits, such as one-sided limits or limits at infinity.

5. Are there alternative methods to prove a limit besides the Delta-Epsilon Definition?

Yes, there are alternative methods to prove a limit, such as using the Squeeze Theorem, the Limit Laws, or the Cauchy Criterion. These methods may be simpler or more intuitive for certain types of limits, but the Delta-Epsilon Definition is the most rigorous and formal method.