Can Giving Up Coffee Improve My Eye Condition?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, the retinal examination did not show any signs of macular degeneration, and Central Serous Chorioretinopathy is a form of cancer. The author recommends giving up coffee, reducing stress, and exercising to help reduce the severity of the disease.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just had a two hour long retinal examination, and I do not have macular degeneration! Yippee! I've got Central Serous Chorioretinopathy! Oh happy day! All I have to do is give up coffee, reduce the stress in my life, and it might not get worse!

:bugeye:

Give up coffee?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck! O__O

So does this mean putting bigger pieces of sodium in water?

Give up coffee, and reduce stress...at the same time?! Is that even possible? :bugeye:

Stevedye56 said:
So does this mean putting bigger pieces of sodium in water?
That might help.

How IS your scalp, BTW?

Moonbear said:
Give up coffee, and reduce stress...at the same time?! Is that even possible? :bugeye:
I don't know. Has it ever been done before?

I know I can count on my 3 darling children to reduce stress. And of course, luckily, teaching high school is well known to be an unstressful job. And what the heck, how hard can it be to quit coffee? It's not like it's heroin, right.

:|

You have not even started and you have developed a stutter :biggrin:

wolram said:
You have not even started and you have developed a stutter :biggrin:

Damn, I was about to say the same exact thing. :grumpy:

That, or he gave us all double vision! Mehhhhh :cry:

Chi Meson said:
I'm NOT going blind (yet)!
Yeah, but is your arm getting tired? :biggrin:

Congratulations on not having macular degeneration. My mother in law has that. She has a hard time seeing.

Artman said:
Yeah, but is your arm getting tired? :biggrin: .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Excuse me while I go get some paper towels for my monitor.

Chi Meson said:
I just had a two hour long retinal examination, and I do not have macular degeneration! Yippee! I've got Central Serous Chorioretinopathy! Oh happy day! All I have to do is give up coffee, reduce the stress in my life, and it might not get worse!

:bugeye:

Give up coffee?
I don't understand the "give up coffee". Did he mean caffeine? There are a lot of products that have more caffeine than coffee.

Evo said:
I don't understand the "give up coffee". Did he mean caffeine? There are a lot of products that have more caffeine than coffee.
I'm sure that's what he meant, just some of us get most of our caffeine from coffee.

Chi Meson said:
I know I can count on my 3 darling children to reduce stress. And of course, luckily, teaching high school is well known to be an unstressful job. And what the heck, how hard can it be to quit coffee? It's not like it's heroin, right.
:rofl: Winter vacation isn't that far away. :uhh: You better warn your students that you're quitting the caffeine so they understand the need to tiptoe around you for a while. :bugeye:

Chi Meson said:
I just had a two hour long retinal examination, and I do not have macular degeneration! Yippee!
oh, wow - that's a long time to stay bent over just to find out about degeneration of your mackin', but yay! :biggrin:

moose said:
Excuse me while I go get some paper towels for my monitor.
:rofl: Perhaps a bad choice of phrasing of that reply. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Perhaps a bad choice of phrasing of that reply. :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I didn't notice that...

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard now:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chi Meson said:
That might help.

How IS your scalp, BTW?

Just fine, not even noticible anymore. Is there a science club meeting after school today?

Chi Meson said:
As moose said, "Good Luck!"

As Artman alluded, exercise is a good way to reduce stress, including activities with one's spouse.

Meditation is also useful.

Astronuc said:
As Artman alluded, exercise is a good way to reduce stress, including activities with one's spouse.

He seems to have amazing one handed typing skills. :biggrin:

^
This abuse is stressing me out!

Ahhhhhh my other eye!

Chi Meson said:
^
This abuse is stressing me out!

:uhh: Abuse huh. :uhh:

:biggrin:

Shut up you jerk!:frown:

Chi Meson said:
Shut up you jerk!:frown:
Sorry Chi. Don't stress.

Maybe looking into the Vandegraaff Generator wasn't the best idea afterall...

Stevedye56 said:
Maybe looking into the Vandegraaff Generator wasn't the best idea afterall...
Steve, are you one of Chi Meson's students? Your posts here sound like you might be.

Changed for reasons...

Last edited:
No comment.

Uh oh! Does that mean we have to watch what we say now so we don't warp your view of your teacher? :biggrin: Steve, I hope you and your class realize how lucky you are to have such a great teacher who really cares about the success of you students. Take it easy on him while he's suffering through caffeine withdrawal. :smile:

I am lucky, he's a great teacher, but i don't think i give him a hard time. At least i hope not. Mad Chi Meson is not a good sight.

1. Can drinking coffee affect my eye health?

Yes, studies have shown that excessive caffeine consumption can lead to an increase in intraocular pressure, which is a risk factor for glaucoma and other eye diseases.

2. Will giving up coffee improve my vision?

While giving up coffee may not directly improve your vision, it can help prevent further damage to your eyes and reduce the risk of developing eye diseases.

3. How much coffee is considered excessive?

The recommended daily caffeine intake for adults is no more than 400 mg, which is equivalent to about 4 cups of coffee. Consuming more than this amount can increase your risk of eye problems.

4. Are there any other benefits to giving up coffee?

Yes, giving up coffee can also improve your overall health. It can reduce anxiety and improve sleep, which can indirectly benefit your eye health.

5. Can I replace coffee with other caffeinated beverages?

While coffee is the main source of caffeine for most people, it is not the only source. You can replace coffee with other beverages like tea or energy drinks, but it is important to monitor your overall caffeine intake to avoid negative effects on your eyes.