Potential on the Earth surface

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational potential on the moon's surface, given the values for G, the radius of the moon, the radius of the Earth, the acceleration due to gravity, the mass of the moon and the Earth, and the distance between their centers. The solution involves calculating the potential using the formula V = -GMm/Rm, but the correct solution also takes into account the potential contributed by the Earth, making it -G*[Mm/Rm + Me/(D-Rm)].
crossfacer

Homework Statement

Given:
G = 6.67*10^ -11 Nm^2kg^-2
Radius of Moon = Rm = 1.73*10^6 m
Radius of Earth = Re = 6.37*10^6 m
acceleration due to gravity = g = 9.8m/s
Mass of moon = Mm
Mass of Earth = Me
Distance between the centre of the Earth and the centre of the moon = D = 3.8*10^8 m

Find the gravitational potentials on the moon's surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

V = - GMm/Rm
V = - g * Re^2 / Rm
V = - 9.8 * (6.37*10^6)^2 / 1.73*10^6
V = - 2.30*10^8 J/kg

The solution said that V should be
-G* [ Mm/Rm + Me/(D - Rm) ]
I don't understand why it should not be "Mm/Rm - Me/(D - Rm)" :confused:

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the Earth contributes a potential too. I guess you are supposed to assume that the problem wants the potential on the light side of the moon.

Thank you! In the past I thought that some potential of Earth will be canceled out by potential of the moon :tongue2:

1. What is potential on the Earth surface?

Potential on the Earth surface refers to the amount of energy that an object possesses due to its position on the Earth's surface. It is commonly known as gravitational potential energy and is dependent on the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the Earth's surface.

2. How is potential on the Earth surface calculated?

Potential on the Earth surface is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the distance between the object and the Earth's surface.

3. What factors affect potential on the Earth surface?

The factors that affect potential on the Earth surface include the mass of the object, the distance between the object and the Earth's surface, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object may also have an impact.

4. How does potential on the Earth surface change at different locations on Earth?

The potential on the Earth surface varies at different locations due to differences in the distance between the object and the Earth's surface, as well as the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull. For example, an object will have a higher potential energy on top of a mountain compared to at sea level due to the greater distance from the Earth's center.

5. What is the significance of potential on the Earth surface?

Potential on the Earth surface plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of tectonic plates, the formation of mountains, and the flow of water in rivers. It is also important in everyday life, as it is used in various technologies such as hydroelectric power and roller coasters.