Solar Water Heater Installation Cost: $/Watt

In summary, the cost of installing a solar water heating system in the South West coast of British Columbia, Canada depends heavily on the type of building and whether it is integrated during construction or retrofitted. Estimates can be obtained from solar system suppliers, but it may be cheaper to integrate during construction. A related thread on cost information is also provided.
eaboujaoudeh
Just curious...how much would it cost you to install a solar water heating system ($/Watt) where u live?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I could probably scavenge the stuff to make it for nothing, but I'm not inclined to go to all that effort.

ok point taken...but if u want to buy it? do u have an idea what it would cost?

eaboujaoudeh said:
Just curious...how much would it cost you to install a solar water heating system ($/Watt) where u live?

South West coast of British Columbia, Canada. Sunny summers, mild but wet winters.
http://www.bcsea.org/sustainableenergy/solarhotwater.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that I didn't get back about this. The fact is that I don't know what it would cost. There are solar system suppliers here, who can probably give estimates, but it would also depend very heavily upon what sort of building you intend to outfit. For one thing, it would definitely be far cheaper to integrate the system during construction than to retrofit a 96 year-old house like mine.

Now that I've read Chi's thread through the link, it appears that I misunderstood the OP. I thought that he meant a hot water home heating system, not just a water heater. I still don't know what it would cost, but the type of building wouldn't make nearly as much difference as I indicated.

1. What factors affect the cost of solar water heater installation?

The cost of solar water heater installation can vary depending on several factors, including the size and type of system, the complexity of the installation, the location and accessibility of your property, and the labor and materials required.

2. How much can I expect to pay for solar water heater installation?

The cost of solar water heater installation is typically measured in dollars per watt ($/Watt) and can range from $1,500 to $5,000, depending on the factors mentioned above. On average, homeowners can expect to pay around $3 per watt for a solar water heater installation.

3. Are there any incentives or rebates available for solar water heater installation?

Yes, there are often incentives and rebates available for installing a solar water heater. These can include federal tax credits, state and local rebates, and utility company incentives. Be sure to research and take advantage of any available incentives to help offset the cost of installation.

4. How long does it take to recoup the cost of solar water heater installation?

The payback period for solar water heater installation can vary depending on the cost of installation, your location, and your energy usage. On average, homeowners can expect to recoup the cost of installation within 5-10 years through energy savings.

5. Are there any ongoing maintenance costs for a solar water heater?

Generally, solar water heaters require minimal maintenance and have low ongoing costs. However, it is recommended to have your system professionally inspected every 3-5 years to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, you may need to replace parts, such as the heating element or storage tank, every 10-15 years, which can incur additional costs.