Water Temperature mixing together

In summary, when 1 kg of water at 100 C is mixed with 10 kg of water at 0 C, the equilibrium temperature will be slightly above 0 C. This can be calculated using the formula Q=mc (change in temperature) and solving for the final temperature. The final temperature will be 9.09 degrees based on a weighted average calculation. However, if the water was in the form of ice, the calculation would be different due to the inclusion of latent heats.
strawberry7

Homework Statement

When 1 kg of water at 100 C is mixed with 10 Kg of water at 0C, the equilibrium temperature will be:

a) exactly 0 C
b) Exactly 50 C
C) Exactly 100 C
d) slightly above 0 C

I think that the answer is D) sligtly above 0 C, but i don't know why. I'm not sure what formula to use, and I've been lookking all over the web and my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you add 1 kg of water in the liquid phase at 100 C, you can find the heat given out by it when its brought down to T c. That is equal to the heat gained by the 10 kg of water at 0c to come to Tc. Solve for T (final temperature).

so am i sopposed to use the Q= mc (Change in temperature) formula

so like 1 * 4186 * 100
Q = 418600And then 418600 = 10 *4186 *?
= 41860 * t
418600/41860 = t
t = 10

So it's slightly over 0 C ?

yea, intuitively you can see this is a weighted average kind of problem,
10 parts at 0, 1 part at 100, so ave for 11=9.09 degrees. Now if the water was ice, different animal as latent heats need to be included.

1) What is water temperature mixing together?

Water temperature mixing together refers to the process of two or more bodies of water with different temperatures coming into contact and combining to form a new temperature.

2) What factors affect water temperature mixing together?

The main factors that affect water temperature mixing together include the initial temperature of each body of water, the rate of mixing (such as wind or currents), and the volume and depth of the bodies of water.

3) How does water temperature mixing together impact aquatic ecosystems?

Water temperature mixing together can have significant impacts on aquatic ecosystems, as it can affect the availability of nutrients, the distribution of species, and the overall health of the ecosystem.

4) Can water temperature mixing together cause harm to aquatic life?

In some cases, water temperature mixing together can cause harm to aquatic life. A rapid change in temperature can be stressful for some species and may even result in death. It can also disrupt the natural balance of an ecosystem.

5) How do scientists study water temperature mixing together?

Scientists use various methods to study water temperature mixing together, including field observations, laboratory experiments, and computer models. They also use specialized equipment, such as temperature sensors, to collect data and analyze the effects of mixing on water temperature.