Impulse and average force of baseball

In summary, the problem involves a pitcher throwing a baseball at a speed of 31 m/s and it being hit back at the pitcher with a speed of 28 m/s. The directions are considered positive and negative, and the impulse delivered to the ball is -0.39 kg m/s. The average force exerted by the bat on the ball is -354.5454545 N. The minus sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the positive direction.
amlovatos
i don't understand wat I am doing wrong here is my problem
Choose the positive direction to be
from the pitcher to the plate (some answers
may be negative).
A pitcher throws a 0.13 kg baseball so that
it crosses home plate horizontally with a speed
of 31 m/s. It is hit straight back at the pitcher
with a final speed of 28 m/s.
What is the impulse delivered to the ball?
Answer in units of kg m/s
Find the average force exerted by the bat on
the ball if the two are in contact for 0.0011 s.
Answer in units of N

ok here is my work
Impulse=m(vf-vi)
.13(28-31)=-.39
then for average force i have
I=t*af
-.39=.0011*af
af=-354.5454545
but i change my signs to positive right?? either way my answer is wrong help please

Physics news on Phys.org
amlovatos said:
i don't understand wat I am doing wrong here is my problem
Choose the positive direction to be
from the pitcher to the plate (some answers
may be negative).
A pitcher throws a 0.13 kg baseball so that
it crosses home plate horizontally with a speed
of 31 m/s. It is hit straight back at the pitcher
with a final speed of 28 m/s.
What is the impulse delivered to the ball?
Answer in units of kg m/s
Find the average force exerted by the bat on
the ball if the two are in contact for 0.0011 s.
Answer in units of N

ok here is my work
Impulse=m(vf-vi)
.13(28-31)=-.39
the problem asks you to consider pitcher to batter as the positive direction, thus, batter to pitcher is the negative direction. What is the direction of vf?
then for average force i have
I=t*af
-.39=.0011*af
af=-354.5454545
but i change my signs to positive right?? either way my answer is wrong help please
once you correct the value of impulse, your force will be correct and it will ahve a minus sign associated with it. What does the minus sign indicate about the direction of the force of the bat on the ball?

As a scientist, it is important to pay attention to the units in your calculations. In this case, the impulse should be calculated as:

Impulse = m * Δv = 0.13 * (28 - 31) = -0.39 kg m/s

Note that the units for velocity are m/s, not just m. Also, the negative sign indicates that the impulse is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

For the average force, the equation should be:

Average force = Impulse / Δt = -0.39 / 0.0011 = -354.545 N

Again, note that the units for time should be in seconds (s), not just the decimal value. It is also important to pay attention to the signs in your calculations. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the force is exerted in the opposite direction of the impulse.

In summary, it is important to pay attention to units and signs in your calculations to ensure accurate results.

1. What is impulse in the context of baseball?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, which is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time interval in which it is applied. In the context of baseball, it is the force that a bat applies to a ball when it makes contact, causing the ball to change direction and speed.

2. How is the impulse of a baseball related to its average force?

The impulse of a baseball is directly related to its average force. The greater the average force applied to the ball, the greater the change in its momentum and the greater the impulse. This can be seen in the equation for impulse: impulse = force x time. Therefore, a greater average force will result in a larger impulse.

3. Why is the impulse of a baseball important in the game?

The impulse of a baseball is important in the game because it determines how far and at what speed the ball will travel after being hit by a bat. This impacts the success of a player's hit, as well as the outcome of the game. Additionally, the impulse of a baseball can also affect the safety of players on the field, as a higher impulse can result in a faster and more unpredictable trajectory of the ball.

4. How does the weight of a baseball affect its impulse and average force?

The weight of a baseball does not directly affect its impulse or average force. These factors are primarily determined by the force and velocity of the bat, as well as the time of contact. However, a heavier baseball may require a greater force to achieve the same impulse as a lighter baseball, due to its greater inertia.

5. Can the impulse and average force of a baseball be measured?

Yes, the impulse and average force of a baseball can be measured through various methods such as using high-speed cameras and impact sensors. These measurements are important in understanding the physics of the game and making improvements in player performance. Additionally, they can also be used to ensure player safety and compliance with regulations regarding the maximum allowed average force in professional baseball games.